PDA

View Full Version : Fishing/Hunting

Stormcrow
2007-01-16, 07:25 PM
I am likely to become infamous for asking the unasked but here we go;

Would one of you lovely lads and lasses with more time and resources than i care to track down/invent some rules for fishing/hunting in D&D please?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-16, 07:31 PM
I assume you want it more detailed than "DC 10 Survival check to get along in the wild. Move up to one-half your overland speed while hunting and foraging (no food or water supplies needed). You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10." (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#survival)

How much more detailed?

Stormcrow
2007-01-16, 07:41 PM
My kid sister plays a druid who shapeshifts into a panther who actually wants to stalk her kills etc and she feeds the party as they go through the rainforest. If its played as an encounter its no fun because she _slaughters_ deer. I want the hunt aspect detailed.

and.

They are about to head out as pirates so i'd like some kind of way to determine their success at fishing...

Matthew
2007-01-16, 07:56 PM
All I can really suggest is:

Search to find Tracks
Track to follow Tracks
Spot to detect prey
Sneak to stalk prey
Combat to resolve Hunt

Make sure you provide sufficient narrative detail and Circumstance Modifiers / Synergy Bonuses to make it feel like it flows together.

Fishing's a bit trickier...

F.H. Zebedee
2007-01-16, 11:12 PM
Diplomacy to get the fish to jump into your boat, of course.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-16, 11:50 PM
"Come on, get in the boat, fish! Come on, get in the boat, fish, fish!"

(They got in the boat. Fish, fish. ( http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html ))

Divides
2007-01-17, 12:14 AM
My kid sister plays a druid who shapeshifts into a panther who actually wants to stalk her kills etc and she feeds the party as they go through the rainforest. If its played as an encounter its no fun because she _slaughters_ deer. I want the hunt aspect detailed.

and.

They are about to head out as pirates so i'd like some kind of way to determine their success at fishing...

I'd say make the person fishing make either a survival check or a profession (fisherman) check to catch the fish, with the DC and the frequency of checks depending on the area... then after a fish is hooked, the PC makes a strength check, opposed by the fishes strength check (both modifide by size, as per trip and grapple) to real the fish in. The fisherman must succeed multiple consecutive strength checks to successfully catch the fish (the exact number dependant on circumstances)... while the fish also gets either an escape artist check (opposed by a DC dependent on either the hook/net being used, or the fisherman's profession (fisherman) check, whichever is better) to wriggle free, or a strength check the break the line/net each round.

That what you had in mind?

Stormcrow
2007-01-17, 12:20 AM
Yes, thankyou very much Matthew and also to you Divides.

My next task is statting up some game animals to be hunted. :D

Machete
2007-01-17, 01:03 AM
Also, fishing method counts. A fishing pole gives a circumstance bonus to survival...
You know, using a fishing pole, a net, or a wand of chain lightning each are a sacred and skillful...whatever.

Set up some fish that are covered in oil and hard to grapple once out of the water, that might be fun.

Divides
2007-01-17, 01:11 AM
Also, fishing method counts. A fishing pole gives a circumstance bonus to survival...
You know, using a fishing pole, a net, or a wand of chain lightning each are a sacred and skillful...whatever.

Actually, I'd say the poll would give a bonus to the strength check. Quality bate , on the other hand, would probably give a bonus to the survival.

But yes, method should count. Method should ALWAYS count.

Set up some fish that are covered in oil and hard to grapple once out of the water, that might be fun.

LOL!

And there's also always the "Congratulations, you hooked a kraken... have fun!" method :-p. (Ok, so a kraken may be a bit much... but you get what I mean.)

MrNexx
2007-01-17, 01:53 AM
"Here, fishy, fishy, fishy! Here, fishy, fishy, fishy!"

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-17, 03:12 AM
Role playing fishing?

"I put my line in the water, crack open a beer, and take a nap."
"You catch a fish. It's about yea big."

"Hey guys, I caught a fish, and it's this big!"

Divides
2007-01-17, 03:46 AM
Role playing fishing?

"I put my line in the water, crack open a beer, and take a nap."
"You catch a fish. It's about yea big."

"Hey guys, I caught a fish, and it's this big!"

A fisherman's first priority is bluff. Proffessiong (fisherman) is also nice, but really, who needs it when you've got bluff!

Yeah, I get you :-p.

MrNexx
2007-01-17, 08:39 AM
Profession (Fishing) gives synergy bonuses to both Survival and Bluff.

Tough_Tonka
2007-01-17, 10:19 PM
I'm actually dealing with the same question in my campaign, one of my characters wants to hunt and kill a bear.

I've come up with the following system to catch specific prey.

Requires: Track Feat (just making the feat useful)

Survival Check DC 10 the creatures bonus to hide, listen, move silently or spot mod, whichever is higher, plus 1d10 (for random factors).

Example: Hunting a black bear

10 plus +4 for Listen modl, +1d10 (5): Survival Check 19.

I don't know how fair it is but it works for me.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-17, 10:49 PM
I let the Track feat subtract from the DC for hunting. -2 if they're just hunting for any sort of food, -4 against any check to hunt a particular type of animal.

I calculate for hunting specific animals according to how easy I think they'd be to find. Rabbits require 15, deer are 20, bears are 25, etc. Anything that would be unusual to find in the area or aren't ordinary animals require the Track feat to find. Add a +10(+LA) to any template variations of animals, and magical beasts are always significantly harder to track (40+). Hunting for dragons requires a 60. Anything else, depends on where they land between a magical beast and a dragon. Dragons are thus hardly ever seen in my campaigns unless you very specifically go looking for them with the appropriate stats.

As for hunting solely for kills, I then calculate their success after finding their marks by a single attack roll at their highest attack. The prey makes a reflex save agains the attack. If the hunter wins, he gets a freshly killed animal. If the animal wins, it gets away. Note that any situation where the hunter can't deal enough damage to knock the animal down to 0 health in one blow 50% of the time (according to the statistics of the weapon), he doesn't get an automatic kill like that- they go straight into a confrontation/battle. So you can go hunt bears if you want. But you'd better be strong enough to kill it quick if you know what's good for you.

Dareon
2007-01-17, 11:21 PM
*shrug* I'd tend to assume that hunting and fishing are not actually intended to take up a full encounter's worth of time, thus just use the DC 10 Survival check and describe it adequately.

Slightly embellished true story (The DM just said the both of them tracked and killed a large wild boar):
Ranger: "I'm going to hunt."
Totemist: "I'll hunt, too."
*Players or DM roll a few dice, Ranger gets a total of 12, Totemist rolls natural 20 for result of 24*
DM (to rest of party): As the ranger returns from the north, you can see he's carrying a pair of good-sized quail. A few minutes later, there's a massive dragging sound in the bushes off to the east and you see the totemist struggling towards you, hauling mightily on the tail of a freshly-killed allosaurus.
Ranger: O_o