PDA

View Full Version : Curses, Evil Gods, and getting out alive

Silus
2013-12-15, 07:34 PM
Ok, so I'm having a hell of a time in this Palladium Fantasy game and would appreciate some general advice on how to proceed.

Currently I'm a lvl 3 Mercenary Warrior (a self-sufficant sword-and-board fighter). So no magic to help myself out with, though I did land me some psychic powers (Telekinesis and Nightvision). Next Friday will be session 3.

So the problems are as follows:

1. I have an evil god of War, Blood and Vengeance riding me after saving me from a monster. Granted the monster 1) showed up not ten minutes into the game, 2) attacked me while I was on my own, 3) hit me for 14/19 of my HP via poison, ignoring the S.D.C. buffer of armor and general durability, and was able to outrun me. Nobody informed me that I could parry attacks, that having 5 actions in a round (via taking the Boxing skill) would let me move my full movement each turn, or that the monster could only use it's poison attack once. So that side, I owe this god a debt, which will (hopefully) be fulfilled if/when I go fetch an obviously cursed and intelligent sword that will force me to kill people if I don't meet some arbitrary quota. Thing is, all I have to go on is a general vision and no actual direction.

1a. To actually GET a hint, I need to win the god's favor by killing soldiers, guards or general combatants. Now since this is more or less my character's own business, I'm 90% sure I'm not going to get help on this from the rest of the party.

2. I got cursed with a "Rags" curse. Basically, over the course of a week, my armor and clothing rots and/or frays away until it's nothing but nigh-unusable rags. I got the curse by simply accepting a cursed sword. Not touching it, not using it, but accepting it (Which is BS IMO). So I tried giving it away, but the DM said that my wording was wrong (Apparently tacking on "just don't hurt me" to try and make me trying to pawn of a six-digit-$ sword counts as "selling" and not "giving") and not only did I lose the sword to a corrupt guard, but the curse is still on me.

2a. There are four ways to get uncursed that I've found.
1) Get the sword back from the guard, likely killing LOTS of guards on the way, and give the sword away properly.
2) Buying a Remove Curse spell which, apparently, will only suppress the curse for about a week or two. Remove Curse apparently goes for around 110,000 gold.
3) Get to this area of null-magic and petition a super-magic tree to lift the curse. The tree is in a Death World quality forest that can only be properly moved through by a Ranger or Druid. We have neither.
4) Get the evil god that's riding my butt to lift it by basically being his *****.

3. Barring just tearing up my character sheet, I can't outright off my character because of the god in issue 1. If I could, you'd bet I'd just suicide her and roll up another character.

So general plans are as follows:
1) Hire thieves to steal the sword back and give it away properly. I have doubts because the thieves fee is 600-1000 gold to steal a sword that could easily sell in the 6-digits. I wouldn't put it past this DM to have them just keep the sword.

2) Pray to the evil God to just show me the way to the evil-quest sword and hope that the expediency of me completing my mission is enough to warrant a Remove Curse.

3) Go on a mostly solo-guard killing spree. Will likely cause the death of my character, which at the moment is preferable to slogging through curses and being the puppet of evil gods.

4) Full on city-wide arson and mass murder. The target being a nearby city called Kaash (Razing Kaash. Ba-Dum-pssh) that at night is plagued by vampires and werewolves. General plan is to get in, kit up for mass levels of chaos and destruction and set the city ablaze an hour before nightfall, forcing people to decide whether to burn in their homes or get eaten by vamps and werewolves. Also would make it known which god's representative is doing the arson and murder (Evil god is from the Southern Pantheon and we're in the East. Cue deity gang war).

So other suggestions are appreciated.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-15, 08:03 PM
Not sure how Palladium is supposed to run, but I know that this would just be bad GMing in 3rd edition/Pathfinder.

1. Someone should have helped you out with that. Not knowing how your character/combat works is grounds for re-doing the fight.

2. Your GM is being a tool.

3. You could just say "This character is ruined, and I will not play as him/her any more. I will generate a new character to play". Then roll up a new character and play it.

As for the only thing which I think is (partly) your fault, making deals with evil gods is a bad idea. If you refuse and (probably) die, you go to the desirable afterlife. If you accept, then you live a little longer, maybe get a boost.. and then die and go to hell. And that's assuming the evil god/demon doesn't bone you with a curse like yours did.

Silus
2013-12-15, 08:08 PM
As for the only thing which I think is (partly) your fault, making deals with evil gods is a bad idea. If you refuse and (probably) die, you go to the desirable afterlife. If you accept, then you live a little longer, maybe get a boost.. and then die and go to hell. And that's assuming the evil god/demon doesn't bone you with a curse like yours did.

Honestly, it wasn't even me actively making a deal. The DM gave me a 1% Hail Mary chance to get some god's favor to save me, and amazingly, I made that 1%. So he picked a god that I owe a debt to. Had I of been informed how combat went (This is my first time ever dealing with the Palladium system) and what the monster was capable of, I would have stayed and fought and the whole God mess wouldn't have happened.