PDA

View Full Version : hydra hybrid

rhoass
2007-01-16, 07:53 PM
So I'm looking to make a Were-something Hydra. After some looking, the half-troll template will work on a hydra, making him giant type, thus available to be a lycan. What I can't figure out yet is what to make the were-part. I was thinking of using like a dire snake as the animal (MM2) which will give all 12 of his bites 1d6/1d6 con drain. Either that or something with swallow whole, like a trex, but he'd be limited on stomache size.

Any thoughts?

magic8BALL
2007-01-17, 03:18 AM
:smalleek:

...and MY players cringe when they see me with a custom monster...

...so a Twelve Headed Half Troll Hydra Giant Weresnake eh?

...and the CR is only the same size catagory as the beast...

Just remember... as a sentient being, it could take a 4 level fighter dip and have weapon specialization (bite), and magical equipment... I suggest an amulet of mighty fists... attack and damage to all natural weapons...

Post us some stats (I'd do it, but I dont have all the right source books), I wanna put this beastie in battle first hand!

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-17, 08:12 AM
If you want to be mean, make him a pyrohydra... >.>

NullAshton
2007-01-17, 08:23 AM
If you want to be mean, make him a pyrohydra... >.>

Heck no... make him a half-green dragon half-troll were-dire snake pyrohydra! IT SHALL BE INVINCIBLE!

Rumda
2007-01-17, 08:24 AM
and give him a amulet of cold or acid immunity if you want them to hate you

XtheYeti
2007-01-17, 08:30 AM
Dear god you people make me sick!
he needs some king of special ability with all his heads to always count as flanking. then give it some rouge dip for some extra d6 and make him vampiric to....oh god, a vampiric lycan, it stacks in D&d...i might just have to use that

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-17, 10:43 AM
Why not just strap uranium dentures in all it's mouthes while you're at it?

NullAshton
2007-01-17, 11:15 AM
Dear god you people make me sick!
he needs some king of special ability with all his heads to always count as flanking. then give it some rouge dip for some extra d6 and make him vampiric to....oh god, a vampiric lycan, it stacks in D&d...i might just have to use that

Vexing Flanking from the PHBII I believe. Allows you to, each turn, choose one square that you threaten for the purposes of flanking from. It allows you to flank with yourself. Hydras have 10 foot reach. Do the math. :)

I think I arrived at several thousand average damage for a rogue using that feat and at the lowest level for an equal level wizard to use polymorph.

rhoass
2007-01-17, 11:30 AM
Stats are forthcoming. I put him together last night as a hybrid. It's sick, just plain sick.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-17, 11:40 AM
Take a werewolf time with some levels in spell casting and apply the vampire template :smile: brilliant idea yeti

Peregrine
2007-01-17, 12:06 PM
The pedantic language geek in me is sobbing at the abuse of 'were' going on here. (It means 'man'. Were-wolf = man-wolf, not just any half-wolf creature.)

That said, the actual suggestions sound like a lot of fun. Fun like Pun-pun or the Ikea Tarrasque, anyway. :smalltongue: (Why haven't I heard either of those mentioned in months?)

Rumda
2007-01-17, 12:37 PM
what would make it more powerful psionics or arcane magic....

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-17, 12:49 PM
what would make it more powerful psionics or arcane magic....
Ooh, ooh! Phrenic!

rhoass
2007-01-17, 05:45 PM
Here he is in hybrid form (the form he'd be in during all battles):
-------------------------

Swampus-monster
12-headed ½ Troll Were-DireSnake Hydra (hybrid form)
Huge Giant (Shapechanger)
HD: 12d10+60 + 7d8+21 + 19 (198)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20’, Swim 20’
AC: 34 (-2 size, +7 Dex, +19 natural) T: 15, FF: 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+41
Full Attack: 12 Bites: +32 melee (2d8+16 + poison / x2)
and 2 claws: +26 melee (1d8+8 / x2)
Space/Reach: 15’/10’
Special Attacks: rend 2d8+24, improved grab, constrict 1d8+24, poison, Curse of Lycanthropy
Special Qualities: DR 10/silver, fast healing 22, darkvision 60’, low-light vision, scent, lycanthropic empathy
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +20, Will +12
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 24, Con 32, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +15, Climb +24, Hide +9, Listen +18, Spot +19, Swim +24
Feats: Combat Reflexes(B), Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Weapon Focus (bite), Blind-Fight, Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Cleave
Environment: Swamplands
Organization: Alone and Unafraid
CR: 17
Treasure: 1/10 coins, 50% goods, 50% items
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Hook: “There I was, lookin’ at this beaut’ of a croc, when I saw that thing standing over there on two legs…”

Rend (Ex): If Swampus-monster hits with both claw attacks against the same opponent, he latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals 2d8+24 damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If Swampus-monster hits an opponent with a bite attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity (grapple bonus +41). If it gets a hold, it can also constrict in the same round. Thereafter, the Swampus-monster has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use its jaws to hold the opponent (-20 penalty on grapple check, but he is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals bite and constrict damage. A Swampus-monster can only constrict one enemy each round.

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check,Swampus-monster can constrict a grabbed opponent, dealing 1d8+24 points of bludgeoning damage.

Poison (Ex): A Swampus-monster delivers its poison (Fortitude save DC 30) with each successful bite attack. The initial and secondary damage is the same (1d6 points of Constitution damage).

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid or giant (size large to gargantuan) hit by a bite attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy.

Alternate Form (Su): The Swampus-monster can shift into dire snake form as those using the polymorph spell on itself. He can also assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features. Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a standard action.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The Swampus-monster in animal or hybrid form has damge reduction 10/silver.

Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex): The Swampus-monster can communicate and empathize with normal or dire snakes. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing a snake’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if friendly) commands.

Scent (Ex): A Swampus-monster can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

Fast Healing (Ex): Each round, the Swampus-monster heals damage equal to 10 + the number of original heads (22).

Skills: A Swampus-monster receives a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks, a +6 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks, and a +8 bonus on Swim checks to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.

Feats: A Swampus-monster’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all his heads for attacks of opportunity.

Designer’s Notes: A) I swapped toughness for improved toughness, and since the dire snake didn’t have any feats, and their HD would normally give 2 feats, I added power attack and cleave (suggested feats for a half-troll). B) I based the poison off of total racial HD, rather than just the dire snake’s racial HD. If you want to go by just the snake’s HD, lower the poison DC by 6 points.

Vadin
2007-01-17, 06:26 PM
If he's going to get a level dip, go with totemist. All those natural weapons and a few melds that increase all natural weapons and bite attacks by +1d4/invested essentia? Oh! And lets not forget the possiblilities of the Shape Soulmeld feat and Open Chakra(Hands? Or is it Arms) for the Lightning Gauntlets! Couple those with the Totemist dip, and you've got one mighty fierce beast right there.

Necrosis
2007-01-17, 07:06 PM
if you really want ot make your players cringe-give it the hlaf feind template,+cyro hydra immunity to fire and acid = good hydra fun :).

For extra meanness advance it a enougth levels to up its size and take your pick of fighter feats and awaken it so it can actually use smart tactics (such as decoys or other fakes :) ).

Mewtarthio
2007-01-17, 07:15 PM
That said, the actual suggestions sound like a lot of fun. Fun like Pun-pun or the Ikea Tarrasque, anyway. :smalltongue: (Why haven't I heard either of those mentioned in months?)

Okay, I give. What's the Ikea Tarrasque? Besides outright invincible, that is.

if you really want ot make your players cringe-give it the hlaf feind template,+cyro hydra immunity to fire and acid = good hydra fun :).

For extra meanness advance it a enougth levels to up its size and take your pick of fighter feats and awaken it so it can actually use smart tactics (such as decoys or other fakes :) ).

It's already CR 17. Throwing a CR 20+ beastie is stil mean, but it's not the fun kind of mean. ("We head toward the Kobold Kaverns." "A Hecatoncheires appears. Roll initiative.")

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-17, 07:19 PM
Question: would the monster have to be bit by some sort of rabid hyrda to become a were-hyrda?

Jack_Simth
2007-01-17, 07:27 PM
Okay, I give. What's the Ikea Tarrasque? Besides outright invincible, that is.An Unholy anagram of about a half a dozen templates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20160) that's within non-epic ECL, incidentally.

Peregrine
2007-01-18, 02:23 AM
An unholy anagram? "Oh luny"? :smalltongue:

</smartalec>

(I think you mean amalgam.)

GuesssWho
2007-01-22, 05:55 PM
The pedantic language geek in me is sobbing at the abuse of 'were' going on here. (It means 'man'. Were-wolf = man-wolf, not just any half-wolf creature.)
Ditto . . .

I made a Colossal Half-Fiend Cyrohydra Demon Prince one time. If you want, I could show it to you . . .

Mewtarthio
2007-01-23, 08:00 PM
Ditto . . .

I made a Colossal Half-Fiend Cyrohydra Demon Prince one time. If you want, I could show it to you . . .

Did he spend all the time gnawing on Brutus, Judas, and Cassuis?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-23, 08:10 PM
Ditto . . .

I'd kinda like to see it. It sounds fun.

Jack_Simth
2007-01-23, 08:54 PM
An unholy anagram? "Oh luny"? :smalltongue:

</smartalec>

(I think you mean amalgam.)

Ay kant spel.