PDA

View Full Version : PF - Summoner = Peter Pan

Talya
2013-12-15, 10:39 PM
So, watching Once Upon a Time's winter finale today, I had a sudden brainstorm.

Summoner with a bipedal eidolon...

Flight (Su) - 2 point evolution
Shadow Blend (Su) - 2 point evolution
Shadow Form (Su) - 2 point evolution
Weapon Training - 2 point evolution

As for the summoner themselves:
Eldritch Heritage - Arcane Bloodline - Familiar
Improved Familiar (Sprite)
Spells - Fly or Overland Flight

J.M. Barrie, eat your heart out.

Eldonauran
2013-12-15, 10:49 PM
As long as its a female summoner named Wendy, you've got something right there.

Talya
2013-12-15, 10:53 PM
As long as its a female summoner named Wendy, you've got something right there.

No, the summoner is Peter. The Eidolon is Peter's Shadow. The familiar is Tinkerbell (which means Wendy isn't safe!)

grarrrg
2013-12-15, 11:07 PM
No, the summoner is Peter. The Eidolon is Peter's Shadow. The familiar is Tinkerbell (which means Wendy isn't safe!)

KILL THE WENDYBIRD!

Talya
2013-12-16, 01:21 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize this...

The Shadow Caller Summoner racial archetype for Fetchlings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-fetchling/shadow-caller-summoner-fetchling) is exactly designed for this.

Shadow Eidolon

A shadow caller's eidolon is at once a thing of shadow called from the deep of the Shadow Plane and his own shadow; the two are inseparable. When his eidolon manifests, his shadow lengthens and finally detaches from him as a creature unto itself. For as long as the shadow caller's eidolon is manifested, he and the eidolon do not have distinct shadows, regardless of the presence or absence of light. This lack of a shadow replaces the magical symbol that identifies the summoner and his eidolon.

This ability alters the summoner's eidolon ability.

jaydubs
2013-12-16, 02:19 AM
Maybe Vow of Non-Violence and Subduing Strike? Or are the old versions of Peter Pan more violent than the newer renditions?

Might be interesting to stat out all the Peter Pan characters and making a campaign of it.

Talya
2013-12-16, 02:36 AM
Maybe Vow of Non-Violence and Subduing Strike? Or are the old versions of Peter Pan more violent than the newer renditions?

Well, in the Once Upon a Time series on ABC, Pan's a murderous villain and his shadow is a supernatural assassin...

Might be interesting to stat out all the Peter Pan characters and making a campaign of it.

That'd be a bit thin. John, Michael and Wendy Darling are fairly boring. Tiger Lily and the Lost Boys might be made interesting, but they're all just backdrop for Peter and Tink.

Vanitas
2013-12-16, 02:46 AM

A lot more violent.

jaydubs
2013-12-16, 03:41 AM
Ha, okay. I guess my memories are from that wonky middle ground after things got PG rated, and before gritty became the order of the day.

I.e., most of what I remember about Peter Pan comes from either the Disney version or from the movie Hook.

Talya
2013-12-16, 08:44 PM
Think of it this way: even in the Disney version, Peter Pan chopped off Hook's hand and fed it to a crocodile. Tinkerbell tries to murder Wendy Darling.

That's the Walt Disney version. Now imagine J.M.Barrie's.

TheIronGolem
2013-12-16, 09:55 PM
Make sure not to take any ranks in Perform [Acting], if you're going by Once Upon A Time here.

Vanitas
2013-12-16, 10:22 PM
Ha, okay. I guess my memories are from that wonky middle ground after things got PG rated, and before gritty became the order of the day.

I.e., most of what I remember about Peter Pan comes from either the Disney version or from the movie Hook.

Doesn't Pan kill Hook in Hook?

NightbringerGGZ
2013-12-16, 10:26 PM
Make sure not to take any ranks in Perform [Acting], if you're going by Once Upon A Time here.

You sir win one internets.

Benthesquid
2013-12-16, 10:44 PM
Peter Pan, violent? Eh, nonsense.

The boys on the island vary, of course, in numbers, according as they get killed and so on; and when they seem to be growing up, which is against the rules, Peter thins them out; but at this time there were six of them, counting the twins as two.

It was at this moment that Ed Teynte the quartermaster emerged from the forecastle and came along the deck. Now, reader, time what happened by your watch. Peter struck true and deep. John clapped his hands on the ill-fated pirate's mouth to stifle the dying groan. He fell forward. Four boys caught him to prevent the thud. Peter gave the signal, and the carrion was cast overboard. There was a splash, and then silence.

"What's the matter with Bill Jukes, you dog?" hissed Hook, towering over him.
"The matter wi' him is he's dead, stabbed," replied Cecco in a hollow voice.
"Bill Jukes dead!" cried the startled pirates.
"The cabin's as black as a pit," Cecco said, almost gibbering, "but there is something terrible in there: the thing you heard crowing."

Cecco went, first flinging his arms despairingly. There was no more singing, all listened now; and again came a death-screech and again a crow.

NONSENSE I SAY!

Talya
2013-12-16, 10:51 PM

Several of the actors are quite bad, I agree.

However, I believe you do Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, Stargate Universe), Jennifer Morrison (House), Raphael Sbarge (Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect series), and Lee Arenberg (Pirates of the Caribbean) disservices.

Some of the other actors I'm still unsure of.

TheIronGolem
2013-12-16, 11:20 PM
Several of the actors are quite bad, I agree.

However, I believe you do Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, Stargate Universe), Jennifer Morrison (House), Raphael Sbarge (Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect series), and Lee Arenberg (Pirates of the Caribbean) disservices.

Some of the other actors I'm still unsure of.

I was referring specifically to Peter Pan's actor, although Henry's is fairly terrible too.

Come on, your characters spend nearly two full episodes in a body-swap plot, and yet neither of you can be bothered to make any effort to imitate the other's mannerisms or even accents? Surely Disney money can buy better than this. They sure as hell aren't spending it on the visual effects.

Anyway, enough of my derail.

jaydubs
2013-12-16, 11:38 PM
Doesn't Pan kill Hook in Hook?

There's a sword fight, and then a giant clock (made of the crocodile) falls on him and eats him whole. But Pan doesn't actually kill him. I think the only other person who dies in that film (I might be forgetting someone) is Rufio.

The Lost Boys also spend most of the movie pelting the pirates with sloppy paintballs or somesuch.

Anyway, my distant memory of Peter Pan was apparently terribly off. Childhood ruined. Thanks Playgrounders. :smalltongue:

Benthesquid
2013-12-17, 12:08 AM
Anyway, my distant memory of Peter Pan was apparently terribly off. Childhood ruined. Thanks Playgrounders. :smalltongue:

"Shall I after him, Captain," asked pathetic Smee, "and tickle him with Johnny Corkscrew?" Smee had pleasant names for everything, and his cutlass was Johnny Corkscrew, because he wiggled it in the wound. One could mention many lovable traits in Smee. For instance, after killing, it was his spectacles he wiped instead of his weapon.

Wendy was now almost overhead, and they could hear her plaintive cry. But more distinct came the shrill voice of Tinker Bell. The jealous fairy had now cast off all disguise of friendship, and was darting at her victim from every direction, pinching savagely each time she touched.
"Hullo, Tink," cried the wondering boys.
Tink's reply rang out: "Peter wants you to shoot the Wendy."

Happy to help!

jaydubs
2013-12-17, 04:18 AM
Darn you! Next you'll be telling me the original TMNT weren't lovable goofballs who never killed anything but robots!

SamsDisciple
2013-12-17, 06:42 AM
LOL total derail of the conversation but the original TMNT used guns and were pretty brutal! As for the shadow eidolon idea that is pretty awesome. I don't think I would do a peter pan game but closer to the idea of Once upon a time before the curse, a world where all the fairy tales are mixed in one big world. My brother DM'ed one similar to that with video game/movie culture but it was meant as a silly campaign and not serious in the slightest.

Spore
2013-12-17, 08:33 AM
Talya, if you value the sanity of a random stranger on the internet (and who doesn't), please do Peter Pan as an original and not a Disney abomination (although a Wendy bard cohort which bursts out in song while trying to hide and gets maimed would be great), please.

Talya
2013-12-17, 10:57 AM
Hey, I'm a fan of Disney! Not so much Once Upon a Time, but the 1950's classic, sure.

With that said, I'm fairly sure the mechanical elements presented here all exist in J.M. Barrie's original play.

(Yes, it was originally a stage play in 1904...the novelization came 7 years later, written by the same playwright.)

Joe the Rat
2013-12-17, 11:19 AM
Wendy bard cohort

Kill the Wendy Bard!

Frankly, I think it'd be far creepier for Pan to be the Eidolon. You summon up an elfin (but not Elf) lad that flies around mocking and slaughtering your enemies, with absolutely no sense of consequence beyond being a silly game. After all, if he gets killed he respawns again after 24 hours - doesn't everyone?

Wendy as Summoner works to an extent here. The Pan comes to rescue the damsel, since that's what heroes do. And then leaves before anything relevant or character-developing happens. Very strange dynamic, though, since the Eidolon is only tangentially interested in its Summoner - so far as she provides attention/entertainment/ego-stroking. Steal a bit from Disney with the animal costumes, and her other conjurations become Lost Boys or other story characters.

So how will 'growing up' interact with the Eidolon? Will the Eidolon's nature change, or will the relationship become more sinister or disturbed?

Zubrowka74
2013-12-17, 11:24 AM
Hey, it's pirates we're talking about! They pilage, rape and plunder!

But speaking about ruined chilhoods, there's a show on the Disney Junior channel that follows three "lost children" in the same setting. Pan & al. only have cameo and eveything is squeaky clean. They did name the girl "Izzie", which they did not translate in French for the french version as it is a proper noun. And so they pronounce it like "Easy"... A little pirate-girl.... Easy... Yay!

Talya
2013-12-17, 11:47 AM
Well, I kinda like the concept for a pan-like summoner in any setting - Your Eidolon is a shadow-doppleganger of yourself, your own shadow. There's something cool about that. (And evidently I'm not the first one that thought so, as that archetype i found after making this thread indicates.)

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-17, 12:14 PM
Great idea, my only issue with it is that regular pan won't be nearly as strong a fighter an Shadow Pan.

Then again, if you take combat feats instead of extra evolution point feats and are never increasing size and you're picking up shadow utility powers; it may work out to close enough.

Eldonauran
2013-12-17, 12:44 PM
Well, I kinda like the concept for a pan-like summoner in any setting - Your Eidolon is a shadow-doppleganger of yourself, your own shadow. There's something cool about that. (And evidently I'm not the first one that thought so, as that archetype i found after making this thread indicates.)

But, your name is Sparrowhawk!

:smallwink:

This thread turned out to be awesome. I learned stuff about Peter Pan that I was ignorant of.

Rijan_Sai
2013-12-17, 02:04 PM
This thread turned out to be awesome. I learned stuff about Peter Pan that I was ignorant of.

I agree completely! I now need to go read the novel!

Two quick points regarding earlier comments:

1) In Hook, there was Hook, Rufio, a few pirates (and maybe Lost Boys) during the final battle, and at least one pirate during the baseball game (the one who stole Second). (I love how they play on Smee's apparent inability to be shot!)

2) Re: Jake and the Neverland Pirates, personally, I like this show!
(Yes, it's about as far from the original Peter Pan as you can get; and yes, I am 32 year old; and yes, I do watch it, (along with the other Disney Junior shows,) with my 2 year old daughter; and yes, I would watch all of these shows alone.)

wulfire
2013-12-18, 07:11 AM
Sorry to butt in, I’m loving the concept of this! It would fit in with the next storyline… Our DM gets a feeling for what characters we want and makes a story from there as we are new to this… our next party looks to consist of a pixie, a goblin-type, a Sea witch and whatever I wanted.

But I’m struggling to find all the books to make this work. Can anyone help out a newbie and point me in a direction to research it? Thanks guys and gals

cakellene
2013-12-18, 08:21 AM
I still say the best Peter Pan was Mary Martin.

Benthesquid
2013-12-18, 09:41 AM
Sorry to butt in, I’m loving the concept of this! It would fit in with the next storyline… Our DM gets a feeling for what characters we want and makes a story from there as we are new to this… our next party looks to consist of a pixie, a goblin-type, a Sea witch and whatever I wanted.

But I’m struggling to find all the books to make this work. Can anyone help out a newbie and point me in a direction to research it? Thanks guys and gals

I believe the key books would be the Advanced Player's Guide (for the Summoner) and the Advanced Race Guide (for the Fetchling, and the Shadow Caller Archetype).

Alternatively, on the SRD.

Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner)
Shadow Caller (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-fetchling/shadow-caller-summoner-fetchling)

And so on.

Zonugal
2013-12-18, 09:45 AM
There's a sword fight, and then a giant clock (made of the crocodile) falls on him and eats him whole. But Pan doesn't actually kill him. I think the only other person who dies in that film (I might be forgetting someone) is Rufio.

Peter kills a few pirates during his rescue of Jack & Maggie and Hook (as well as some other pirates) kill pirates throughout the film.

I like to imagine though that it isn't Peter or even really the giant clock of the crocodile that kill Hook but the Lost Boy's imagination. The Lost Boy's believed hard enough, just like at their evening feast, that the crocodile was alive that it simply became true & devoured Hook.

Rijan_Sai
2013-12-18, 11:42 AM
Peter kills a few pirates during his rescue of Jack & Maggie and Hook (as well as some other pirates) kill pirates throughout the film.

I like to imagine though that it isn't Peter or even really the giant clock of the crocodile that kill Hook but the Lost Boy's imagination. The Lost Boy's believed hard enough, just like at their evening feast, that the crocodile was alive that it simply became true & devoured Hook.

I had never thought of it this way before! But it completely makes sense, as well as fitting in nicely with the way Neverland works in that movie! Although, now that I think about it, maybe it was instead Hook's own fear made manifest that did it...

I still say the best Peter Pan was Mary Martin.

I agree, I've loved that version since I was a kid!
Although, after reading that stuff about the original play/novel, I'm remebering just how violent even Martin's Pan was! Also, I have a new-found appreciation of just how evil "loveable" Mr. Smee is!