PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest V

ArlEammon
2013-12-15, 11:22 PM
Who here has played Dragon Quest V? I have just beaten it . . . for the first time. . . it was awesome. . . I loved it, and it's a RPG with a lot of replaying quality to it.

The beginning of the story is touching, so is the middle of the plot, and the very end. It's a master stroke of story telling, I tell you.

I love the Pokemon-esque style of recruiting monsters too.

Zevox
2013-12-15, 11:38 PM
Yep, it's a pretty good game. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a "masterstroke of storytelling," but it's my second or third favorite of the series, behind 8 and maybe 6.

Interesting note: it pre-dates Pokèmon by about 4 years. Its monster recruitment system is actually likely the inspiration behind Pokèmon, as the Dragon Quest series is extremely popular in Japan.

Mando Knight
2013-12-15, 11:38 PM
That's Heavenly Brides, right? It's on my list of "games to get when I have disposable income."

ArlEammon
2013-12-16, 12:31 AM
Yep, it's a pretty good game. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a "masterstroke of storytelling," but it's my second or third favorite of the series, behind 8 and maybe 6.

Interesting note: it pre-dates Pokèmon by about 4 years. Its monster recruitment system is actually likely the inspiration behind Pokèmon, as the Dragon Quest series is extremely popular in Japan.

Oh yes, well, I know that it's not Tolkien by any means, but for a NES, SNES, etcetera, kind of game, yes, I would go far as to compare it to Chrono Trigger.
As far as story telling goes, in the NES Era, and to some extent the SNES Era, yes, it's story telling was awesome! ^_^

That's Heavenly Brides, right? It's on my list of "games to get when I have disposable income."

Yes, Heavenly Bride. :D