PDA

View Full Version : Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane or divine spells

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 12:24 AM
Quickest way for a non-human to get this? Maybe a template that can do something, or some weird little class. I'd like it early if at all possible.

Hurnn
2013-12-16, 12:43 AM
adept class?

anacalgion
2013-12-16, 12:47 AM
Dunno about 3.5 but in pathfinder all you have to do is play an aaismar. No LA either, so level 1.

claypigeons
2013-12-16, 12:50 AM
Quickest way for a non-human to get this? Maybe a template that can do something, or some weird little class. I'd like it early if at all possible.

Fifth level cleric/druid/wizard. Unless you use early e.try shenanigans that would get vetoed at many (most?) tables.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-16, 12:52 AM
Phaerimm

Book is Lost Empires of Faerun (I think)

LA 1 or 2 (No RHD)
Cast as a sorceror of your HD

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 01:24 AM
DEFINITELY not looking for shennanigans... but it doesn't have to be early if there is perhaps a 'cheap' option. I like Chameleon, but I hate playing humans (feels too vanilla...). Divine Champ is cool.. but too late!

Dragon Magazine is open, but Pathfinder definitley nil.

Can't play as something I can't picture as myself. Medium humanoidish is my own personal restriction.

ngilop
2013-12-16, 01:30 AM
So, if you don't want shenanigans... why not just take caster level 5? (i.e 5th level wizard/cleric/druid)

That would be the easit unless you are in actuallity looking for shenanigans

non humans can take PC classes too ya know.

Venger
2013-12-16, 01:37 AM

What class are you trying to qualify for?

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 01:39 AM
What class are you trying to qualify for?

Ooozemaster.

Jeff the Green
2013-12-16, 01:42 AM
Depends on your definition of non-human. Illumian can do it with three levels and a feat (Improved Sigil: Krau) or one level and two feats (Precocious Apprentice and Improved Sigil: Krau).

ngilop
2013-12-16, 01:47 AM
Dude.. seriously all you have to do is go 5 levels in Wizard

OR

5 levels in Druid

OR

5 levels in Cleric

OR

6 levels in Sorcerer

Or pull some shenanigans so you can get into oozemaster at 1st level with a tiefling or aasimar.

You can be an awaken lynx and take 5 levels of wizard if that is not human enough for you.

im just absolutely lost why you are asking this saying no shenanigans and don't know or care to know ro what ever to just take a class with spells.

You do know that wizards, clerics and drudis all get 3rd level spells a 5th level and the sorcerer gets it at 6th right?

If you are so new that you just don't know to take a class to get 3rd level spells. then you need to not worry so much about getting into a prestige class and sit down with a couple of your buddies and learn the game.

Venger
2013-12-16, 01:47 AM
Ooozemaster.

the old earth spell chain can take care of you, then.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 02:08 AM
Dude.. seriously all you have to do is go 5 levels in Wizard

OR

5 levels in Druid

OR

5 levels in Cleric

OR

6 levels in Sorcerer

Or pull some shenanigans so you can get into oozemaster at 1st level with a tiefling or aasimar.

You can be an awaken lynx and take 5 levels of wizard if that is not human enough for you.

im just absolutely lost why you are asking this saying no shenanigans and don't know or care to know ro what ever to just take a class with spells.

You do know that wizards, clerics and drudis all get 3rd level spells a 5th level and the sorcerer gets it at 6th right?

If you are so new that you just don't know to take a class to get 3rd level spells. then you need to not worry so much about getting into a prestige class and sit down with a couple of your buddies and learn the game.

Actually, I am quiet experienced, and avoidso-called tier one classes (I do this just to piss of my 'rival').

By non-human, I was nixing the obvious choice; Chameleon. Chameleon requires you are Doppelganer or Human.

I use to use this guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091

until I realized Nentyar Hunter was mislabeled... and now I don't know WHAT to believe in!

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 02:17 AM
Mystic Ranger 5

ngilop
2013-12-16, 02:23 AM
Actually, I am quiet experienced, and avoidso-called tier one classes (I do this just to piss of my 'rival').

By non-human, I was nixing the obvious choice; Chameleon. Chameleon requires you are Doppelganer or Human.

I use to use this guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091

until I realized Nentyar Hunter was mislabeled... and now I don't know WHAT to believe in!

SO.. you DO want to use shenanigans to get into oozemaster.

Just be honest bro.

Earth spell/sanctum spell will get you there at lvl 1, so will the handful of other random ways ot get 3rd level spells at first level that have been mnetioned

Venger
2013-12-16, 03:15 AM

a great number of the things that will help you with your problem are 3.5, which, by your own admission in your numerous threads over the last few weeks, you are unfamiliar with, so perhaps you could take peoples' advice when you ask for it instead of saying you know it all already.

case in point:

chameleon is actually far from the obvious choice since its aptitude foci are explicitly useless in qualification for feats or prestige classes:

You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus,
ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a
feat, prestige class, or other option.

It also allows changelings to enter if they are a race in one's campaign.

SO.. you DO want to use shenanigans to get into oozemaster.

Just be honest bro.

Earth spell/sanctum spell will get you there at lvl 1, so will the handful of other random ways ot get 3rd level spells at first level that have been mnetioned

This is another example of the kind of thing we mean.

what are you using shenanigans to mean, OP? because, as ngilop says, it sounds like you do want to use shenanigans to enter oozemaster early. and that's fine. even in the very low-op games that you've talked about entering with totemists and telflammar shadowlords and anthro ravens and stuff, getting into oozemaster at 2 is really not going to break any campaigns.

nedz
2013-12-16, 04:22 AM
Earth spell/sanctum spell will get you there at level 1, so will the handful of other random ways to get 3rd level spells at first level that have been mentioned

Well he still needs
Alchemy 4 ranks , Swim 4 ranks and Great Fortitude

So at level 1 these skills need to be class skills.

Jeff the Green
2013-12-16, 05:09 AM
Well he still needs
Alchemy 4 ranks , Swim 4 ranks and Great Fortitude

So at level 1 these skills need to be class skills.

Which means about the only way to get in at level 1 is an Illumian bard with two flaws for Improved Sigil: Krau and Precocious Apprentice. You could get Swim as a class skill for a sorcerer using Draconic Heritage, but then you'd have to wait until level 3 to get one of the needed feats. Of course, then you're a sorcerer or bard with a -5 penalty to Charisma, so that may not be the wisest career move.

Edit:
Ah, no, I got it. Illumian duskblade 1. Two flaws for Improved Sigil: Krau and Precocious Apprentice. Pick Aesh as your second sigil and you get bonus spells based on your Strength, too. Of course, the whole point of duskblade is the 3rd- and 7th-level abilities, so I don't know that there's much of a point to this.

nedz
2013-12-16, 06:21 AM
Well there's

Mystic Ranger — but that's Dragon Magazine
Druid

Both using the Illumini trick, of course.

Bard fails due to only getting cantrips at level 1

Jeff the Green
2013-12-16, 06:31 AM
Well there's

Mystic Ranger — but that's Dragon Magazine
Druid

Both using the Illumini trick, of course.

Bard fails due to only getting cantrips at level 1

Neither Druid nor Mystic Ranger can use Precocious Apprentice without another feat (Magical Training), which you don't have the space for.

Bard does work, because the prereqs are arcane CL 1 and casting ability 15. Presumably they just never considered the possibility of a bard taking the feat. :smallconfused:

CombatOwl
2013-12-16, 06:34 AM

Ur-Priest, but few DMs are crazy enough to allow it.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 12:27 PM
@Venger @ngilop I douth so duelly apologize if I am, have been, or will be a little bitch now, in the past, or anytime in the future.

Y'all are right. I am rather inexperienced in these types of shenanigans, and doublely inexperienced in 3.5

Our group, if its a class, then its a class and that's the class. No shenanigans. Using feat looping tricks to cast spells you don't have slots for... I'd call that shenanigans... but again, I am out-classed here.

I am eager to learn, and thank you all so much for your advice!

Flaws are definitely not in play.

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 12:46 PM
@Venger @ngilop I douth so duelly apologize if I am, have been, or will be a little bitch now, in the past, or anytime in the future.

Y'all are right. I am rather inexperienced in these types of shenanigans, and doublely inexperienced in 3.5

Our group, if its a class, then its a class and that's the class. No shenanigans. Using feat looping tricks to cast spells you don't have slots for... I'd call that shenanigans... but again, I am out-classed here.

I am eager to learn, and thank you all so much for your advice!

Flaws are definitely not in play.

Feat Looping tricks to cast higher spell levels than normal are usually considered Cheesy/Shenanigans. Sometimes they are considered justified when used to buff underpowered options (Ex: early entry into Mystic Theruge).

Without such shenanigans and with the no Tier 1 and no Human/Chameleon restrictions: You have a few options. You can get 3rd level spells:
5 levels of Mystic Ranger (spell progression starts like Wizard but levels off)
6 levels of Sorcerer (tier 2)
3 levels of Ur Priest (fast progression prestige class but it takes 5 levels to enter Ur Priest)