PDA

View Full Version : Simple Assassin Build

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 05:05 AM
Hello guys, I'm planning to play an assassin in the forthcoming adventure but I have no idea how to build him. I want him to be melee, two weapon fighter. I just want to keep it simple since we'll have 2 new players who will stay exclusively to PH, yet I wanna be at least functional and an above average representative of the assassins guild.

After a few research I think I can combine a couple of rogue levels + a few ranger (maybe the urban variant due to RP) levels before switching to the prestige. I guess it's a standard combo since these classes seem to work for a two handed assassin.

Also, I like the dark template for the Hide in Plain Sight and for Hide and Move Silently Bonuses. Also, movement speed bonus doesn't hurt at all. Does it worth the +1 LA? Is there any way to combine the template with any race that has darkness spell like ability or should I just stick to magic items for this combo? I thought that tiefling or drow (+ instinctive darkness feat) can do that but, the +1 and +2 LA really hurts. Also, I'm afraid that if it's too complicated my DM won't allow me to play it.

What races suit this build? Any feat suggestions?

Kennisiou
2013-12-16, 05:18 AM
If you like the flavor of Tiefling or Drow but hate the LA, there's the "lesser" version of each race that removes the LA in favor of toning down some features a little. Lesser Tiefling is a pretty solid race while lesser drow isn't that great (mostly because drow isn't that great and removing its LA and a few features doesn't help enough).

A simple ranger/rogue assassin TWF build would be something like ranger 6/rogue 4/Assassin 10 with travel devotion for swift movement. If dragon magazine is allowed there's a catfolk race you can use that may be thematically appropriate that can nab a feat to gain pounce, giving you more ways to move and still get your full attacks off. You may want to look into weapons with the enhancement that allows them to have two uses of poison on them at once, since it'll make your initial hits a lot more powerful. Overall the build is pretty low power but if you're not looking at a high optimization game it's fine.

If you want access to hide in plane sight the Vestment of Many Styles from Races of Eberron only costs 500 gp and can mimic any mundane clothing item. This includes the camouflage netting from Heroes of Battle, which can be used to hide in plain sight in a number of different environments, including (iirc) forests, jungles, cities, dungeons, swamps, and arctic environments. It's a cheap way to get broadly useful hide in plain sight. Also, I'd advise against taking level adjustment to gain hide in plain sight as a feature, since you gain hide in plain sight at assassin level 8 and can get it cheap on a bunch of items. In general using items until you hit the assassin level is probably better than taking LA to get that feature.

Edit: As for feats... You get the two most important TWF feats from ranger 6, so don't bother taking those. You may want double hit since it allows you to attack of opportunity with both weapons in your hands. Knowledge Devotion will be a useful way for you to weaponize your int score and skill points and travel devotion will let you move and still full attack, which is super important (although you can only activate it 1/day without a turning pool and it only lasts a minute, so find other means of moving and full attacking in the same round to go along with it). Craven's another important feat you'll want in order to get +HD to all of your sneak attack damage.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 05:49 AM
Dragon magazine is not allowed. Where can I find lesser tiefling? I can't find it in neither player's guide to faerun nor in races of faerun. My thought is that I can use instinctive darkness feat so I can I hide and sneak attack or stay hidden after an attack.

So you suggest not to take dark template? I thought it's pretty sweet to have superior low-light/darkvision plus the hide in plain sight and cold resistance.
(it's too common to abandon a game before we reach high levels so I would be fine to take hide in plain sight earlier as long as it makes me more powerful early on)

How can I strengthen the build without too much effort? What do you think about warrior of darkness? Can I reduce some of ranger's levels and put a few (2-3) of this prestige? Mostly for the darkling weapon, 1 oli and 1 elixir (or even up to 5th for dmg reduction). Can it work in an assassin build?

Ketiara
2013-12-16, 06:01 AM
You can get the dark template from the collar of umbral metamorphosis.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 06:05 AM
You can get the dark template from the collar of umbral metamorphosis.

So my goal is just to find 22k... :D

Gwendol
2013-12-16, 07:09 AM
I would recommend a daring outlaw build instead. You get weapon finesse as a bonus with swashbuckler, and waving the dex requirement with ranger is not necessary.

Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Assassin X

You can get into assassin earlier (at level 6) but daring outlaw is likely worth it. You get INT to damage, and with Craven HD to damage on a sneak attack, and you keep progressing SA. You can buy off the +1 LA at level three, which is worth it eventually.
You will also want to pick up the penetrating strike ACF at rogue 3 to damage normally immune creatures when flanking them. Note that the damage from Craven isn't limited by the half-damage cap of the class feature.

Biotroll
2013-12-16, 07:31 AM
As always, I can recomend taking a look at Iron Chef. In round XVI it used assassin as main ingredient. Builds are on this page: Iron Chef XVI (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178202&page=6) Some of them are simple (I think there was rogue/ranger/assassin in there), some of them are more fancy. Either way it's always great source of information and inspiration imo.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 08:50 AM
As always, I can recomend taking a look at Iron Chef. In round XVI it used assassin as main ingredient. Builds are on this page: Iron Chef XVI (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178202&page=6) Some of them are simple (I think there was rogue/ranger/assassin in there), some of them are more fancy. Either way it's always great source of information and inspiration imo.

wow thanks! never tried to look at iron chef for info, always thought these builds are overcomplicated as they search for max power/uniqueness.

On my mind I had a minmax hanbook. Lol, Kalavael from Iron Chef is exactly what I was trying to build. a dark tiefling rogue, ranger, assassin, warrior of darkness! I don't get his feats though, some are unknown to me others confuse me (weapon finesee at lvl 12?). Also I won't take the total +2LA is it is too much on my eyes.

Is psychic rogue so good entry class? (since I can see so many good comments about mcGee) I've never read about psionic mechanics, is the learning curve too swift? Should I consider this alternative isntead of rogue/ranger or rogue/swashbuckler?

Callin
2013-12-16, 09:58 AM
Psychic Rogue is a good base honestly. Grab either hidden talent at lvl 1 or expanded knowledge once you get 2nd lvl powers so you can get minor creation for crafting plant based poisons for a stupid low cost and in great amounts. PLUS they dissapear after a bit with no trace. Handy if you need to dump the evidence. If you dont want to use psychic rogue just grab hidden talent for it.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 10:31 AM
Yes, as far as I understand a psychic rogue is more compact entry class than ranger/rogue. Swashbuckler/rogue looks fine as well. It looks a bit more melee than stealth this one. Better BAB + d10 for swashbuckler lvls + good synergy with Int score vs psionics. I also noticed that psychic rogue lacks in terms of Sneak Attack but I guess that since I get Assassin's lvls it won't be a trouble anymore.

Callin
2013-12-16, 10:38 AM
Honestly the Swash/Rogue is a better base for actual combat. Psychic Rogue is better in utility. So it really depends on what you want to do.

Also do you want Standard Assassin or the Psychic Version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d)?

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 10:47 AM
Honestly the Swash/Rogue is a better base for actual combat. Psychic Rogue is better in utility. So it really depends on what you want to do.

Also do you want Standard Assassin or the Psychic Version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d)?

My party consists of 1 sorcerer, 1 female bard and 1 female ranger (or barbarian). Thus I may need to be more combat oriented at least at low levels (for learning purposes we may start at even level 1). So, I guess swash/rogue is a bit better for me even though I won't be able to kill the next room guy with a spoon.

In case I choose swash/rogue, what race options do I have to consider?

Gwendol
2013-12-16, 11:05 AM
Drow has some merit in a swashbuckler build, but otherwise Dark Human is quite optimal.

Callin
2013-12-16, 12:04 PM
Azurin is a good human substitute if you dont want to be a vanilla human. You lose out on the extra skill point but you pick up 1 essentia. good if you want to grab shape soulmeld for some of those options. (this is if you dont go hidden talent. on need to use all your feats for utility. though this is a good option. Say if you pick up Blink Shirt and invest both essentia into it. you get a 30 foot dimension door. AWESOME to get outta harms way if ya need)

Gwendol
2013-12-16, 12:10 PM
I guess a dark strongheart halfling wouldn't be out of the question either. The template helps with the lack of ground speed, and being small has a host of advantages.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 12:30 PM
Even though I always liked drows, I won't play one in this game. My DM won't allow me.
Where can I find Azurin? It's not on my Faerun's collection. Is it on Eberron?

Yes, strongheart halflings are just fine but I don't like haflflings at all. I want something more... manly.

Does TWF work in swash/rogue/assassin build? Or should I think different ways to equip my character than the dagger + short sword?

Gwendol
2013-12-16, 12:35 PM
It can work, but not it may impact your spellcasting. There's a feat for that though: somatic weaponry, which is kind of cool and thematic.

Callin
2013-12-16, 12:39 PM
Azurin are from Magic of Incarnum, as is the Soulmelds.

TWF is hit or miss honestly. So its all up to you.

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 12:53 PM
So I think I'll take two weapon fighting + amdidexterity at lvl 1 and craven lvl 3.

gorfnab
2013-12-16, 01:01 PM
So I think I'll take two weapon fighting + amdidexterity at lvl 1 and craven lvl 3.
In 3.5 the Ambidexterity feat got rolled into Two Weapon Fighting feat.

Here is an Assassin Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8273.0)

Gwendol
2013-12-16, 01:02 PM
Are you playing 3.0? Ambidexterity is gone in 3.5.

Your feats should be:

TWF (1), Darkstalker (Bonus)
Weapon finesse (Swash 1 bonus)
Craven (3)
Daring outlaw (6)

DruidAlanon
2013-12-16, 01:17 PM
We play mostly 3.0, yes. Ok, if I can convince my DM to play 3.5, it will be fine.
thnx for the guide!

DruidAlanon
2013-12-17, 06:08 AM
Well, I decided that my feats will probably be:

1: TWF, Deformity (madness), Weapon finesse
3: Craven
6: Not sure yet but, Daring oultaw looks good enough

I'm also thinking of Dodge--> mobility & Gloom Strike. Also, hidden talent is an option (in order to create poisons) even though I'm not sure I understand exactly how minor creation works with psionics.