PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 core-ish] Need help creating lvl 1 challenges in 1:1 game

Ivanhoe
2013-12-16, 07:36 AM
Hello everyone,

this is my first thread here and I hope I can find some inspiration for campaign that I want to start over the next months with my wife (who has absolutely no experience with RPGs whatsoever).

So I thought that I would start with the core 3.5 game (keeping the rules as simple as possible), do some introductory adventures with her, and then expand to a group (who may have some more experience, at least with RPGs, if not 3.5).

This is what I got so far - the pc:
My wife would like to play in a medieval setting with a small, cat-sized animal (probably a small dog) at her side which knows some magic and helps her out in tough situations. Preferably she wants human as a race (since she knows nothing about the others, so it is easier for her to imagine).
Additionally, she wants to be able to shoot with a bow and be some sort of hunter.

As such, I have thought about the following class:
- either human druid with a dog animal companion (reduced to small or even tiny size)
- or a human sorceress or wizard with a dog familiar.
Depends probably a bit on whether she imagines her character to focus on intellgence, charisma or wisdom (this is not clear yet).

In both cases, she would take a weapon proficiency to shoot with the bow. Also (and this is the homebrew/core-ish part) I would have the spells she (as a class) knows cast through the dog. Over the course of the campaign, I would then transfer more of the spellcasting decision on her.
This way, she would be a spellcaster but without the difficult decisions of spellcasting (at first) that are maybe a bit too much for a complete beginner.

This is what I got so far - the campaign start ideas
Since my wife is quite new to the fantasy genre in general (though she was OK with game of thrones TV series and Merlin TV series), I'll probably aim for a late medieval setting (possibly even historical with a twist...) and low-magic campaign.
During the course of the campaign, she would discover more and more unusual things like non-human races, different magic to that of her dog, monsters, witches, undead etc.

The campaign start would be a mountain area, and a small village/valley (so I can make up more stuff of the country/political situation etc. later).

Possibly the fluff/atmosphere is a bit like "The Brave" animated movie.

The plot starts when she has to disover the new dog companion as part of a family tradition ("The youngest/oldest girl of our familiy will always at go to the old stone circle to receive a magic guide.") Of course, this kind of thing hardly has ever happened, not to a living familiy member Etc.
So the unusual thing will be that this actually works: she will go to the stone circle, during the night, do the strange ritual - and the dog appears.

Now, as soon as she will have her companion, I imagine her discovering an old grave hill nearby the circle containing some hint for further treasure (my wife loves stories which include treasure hunts and mystery!).

The big questions now are (where I need help):
1. What kind encounters should be in there that are fun, challenging but not overwhelming?
[I]So far I thought about skeletons guarding an old hero grave where she finds the hint to the next adventure.
Maybe some centipedes of the appropriate size, and some old traps.
Possibly wild animals on her way to the stone circle/back to the village.

2. What could you suggest concerning her PC? What point buy should she get? Perhaps even a magic item (exceeding wbl) to support her?
3. What do you think about my solution that the animal companion/familiar does the casting and acts as some sort of "tutor" until she will take on more and more of the spellcasting herself? The "tutor" role would be more fitting for a familiar (which is quite intelligent), but an animal companion plus the druid class would make her a bit more resilient at the beginning (plus give woods-related skills as class skills). Or would this risk to much "DMnpcing?"
4. Do you have any suggestions in general for handling play/designing adventures with complete beginners?

Thanks for any help!:smallsmile:

Ivanhoe
2013-12-17, 03:59 PM
well....just bumping this thread of mine; maybe there'll be some ideas now (or did I overlook some posting standards?)

Also, in case you could recommend some published level 1 adventures for good treasure hunts/dungeon crawls, please let me know!

jaydubs
2013-12-17, 04:27 PM
What if, just as part of her ritual, she has to fight a group of ghostly wolves. Not actual ghost templated wolves, just things that look vaguely ethereal and are obviously unnatural. You could leave it unclear whether they actual exist at all, or are in her head as part of her "finding her animal" quest.

So wolf type creatures that do only 1 damage on hit, don't trip, and vanish on being hit with any damage. But 3-4 of them would still be pretty scary for a lone, level 1 character. Especially in the middle of the night, in a forest, under the moon. :smalltongue:

WbtE
2013-12-17, 04:55 PM
For your questions:

1. Include some other types of encounter. Breaking up strings of combat avoids the session becoming monotonous.
2. Stick to a standard point buy and WBL so that you can easily integrate her character into a group. If you think the character needs support, add a 'guardian' NPC.
3. I'm not in love with it. You might want to look at the Pathfinder Witch for an alternative take.
4. Be gentle and offer a variety of encounters (combat, traps, puzzles, social interactions). You don't know what kind of thing she's going to enjoy.

As for published adventures, I've recently reviewed two short free modules for level 1 characters. Wreck Ashore is excellent, but it's more of a wilderness trek - full review and download link from here (http://warbeneaththeearth.blogspot.com/2013/12/review-wreck-ashore-by-robert-wiese.html). The Burning Plague is still solid and has a more conventional dungeoneering set-up - read more and find the files from here (http://warbeneaththeearth.blogspot.com/2013/12/review-burning-plague-by-miguel-duran.html). Either could be finished in one or two sessions.

Ivanhoe
2013-12-18, 07:17 PM
Thanks a lot!
That was exactly what I was looking for.

Shadow versions of monsters would give more flexibility and good atmosphere. And the reviews of the online marerial/adventures are very useful! Pathfinder witch seems to match my basic idea rather well...will look more into it.

Red Rubber Band
2013-12-18, 07:24 PM
Here you go. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1097411) This'll have great ideas and is good for low powered stuff that ramps into magical magic time.

It's also an awesome read. Joe Wood es numero uni. Jajajaja

Ivanhoe
2013-12-29, 06:26 PM
Here you go. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1097411) This'll have great ideas and is good for low powered stuff that ramps into magical magic time.

It's also an awesome read. Joe Wood es numero uni. Jajajaja

Thanks, Red Rubber Band- that is a great read!
(it took me a while to read it all, but it is awesome...)
:smallcool:

Any more hints and links on how to DM a game for new players? I'll also search more in other sites, so maybe lateron I'll post here what I find.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-29, 09:08 PM
Barely read first post.
Just thought I'd toss in, for a cast through an animal, Spirit Shaman sounds like it might be useful.
They may or may not get bows.

RolandDeschain
2013-12-29, 09:30 PM
I know this is going in a different direction than what you had planned, but if you are trying to ease her into the spellcasting thing, she wants an animal companion, and she wants to shoot a bow - it sounds to me like Ranger would be a good way to go. It seems like a good archetype for her to identify with, and it has a considerable amount of flexibility. She could learn how the skills system works, she gets to progress nicely in combat style, and you could build the character with a feat or two that grants a couple of low level spells - maybe an Eberron dragonmark or something. When she starts to get the hang of the spells you could 'convert' her character to a Mystic Ranger and she'll have a very manageable number of spells to cast.

None of this, addresses the desire to have her animal companion actually cast the spells though. As I read your post it really, really sounded like a Ranger.

Low level adventure hooks/challenges could be as simple as poachers or bandits building a base of operations in the section of forest she calls home...

most of the time simple is better in the beginning

PraxisVetli
2013-12-29, 09:41 PM
I know this is going in a different direction than what you had planned, but if you are trying to ease her into the spellcasting thing, she wants an animal companion, and she wants to shoot a bow - it sounds to me like Ranger would be a good way to go. It seems like a good archetype for her to identify with, and it has a considerable amount of flexibility. She could learn how the skills system works, she gets to progress nicely in combat style, and you could build the character with a feat or two that grants a couple of low level spells - maybe an Eberron dragonmark or something. When she starts to get the hang of the spells you could 'convert' her character to a Mystic Ranger and she'll have a very manageable number of spells to cast.

None of this, addresses the desire to have her animal companion actually cast the spells though. As I read your post it really, really sounded like a Ranger.

Low level adventure hooks/challenges could be as simple as poachers or bandits building a base of operations in the section of forest she calls home...

most of the time simple is better in the beginning
Yeah, this.
much better than my idea, Ranger sounds like a good plan.

Red Rubber Band
2014-01-01, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Red Rubber Band- that is a great read!
(it took me a while to read it all, but it is awesome...)
:smallcool:

Any more hints and links on how to DM a game for new players? I'll also search more in other sites, so maybe lateron I'll post here what I find.

No problems, glad to help. Besides, it IS a great read!

Lateral thinking is a good way to teach new players just how diverse and interesting the land can be. Putting things they clearly shouldn't run head on in to is risky if they're rash and prone to run at things, but for a new player who is still all "OMG it's a nonmagical sharp sword! My precious" it's a great way to introduce them to tactical and strategic thinking.
A really good example (not sure it's kosher, but I'd allow it 100% of the time) is using flour to detect invisible things. Something invisible giving you a hard time? Throw flour at it to make it visible!

Pickford
2014-01-01, 09:36 PM
Ivanhoe:

Suggestion: Go with Ranger (shoots a bow, is a hunter) and have the animal be a DMPC (perhaps even a tibbet (could re-flavor as being a dog/ferret/etc...) with a level of sorceror?) that the Ranger would use wild empathy to work with.

This would give your wife the tools (hunting/bow use) requested along with an informal introduction to magic (via the DMPC) and the promise of magic herself later on (level 4+)

Suggestion 2: If you go with the sorceror route, perhaps you could pick out the spells she knows, and introduce them organically. This way, you could easily customize her abilities to the challenges you present and help her to learn some of what her class can do.

For example:
@1st: 0th - Read Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Light
1st - True Strike (for archery), Comprehend Languages/Detect Secret Doors (good for solo treasure hunting)

Suggestions for first time players:

Don't kill them. (Once she has her character sheet ready, review it and do a quick run-through of how you imagine her overcoming whatever challenges you've put together. As the DM you know how dangerous the things are, but the Player has to guess or gather from available clues if an encounter is going to be fatal or not. A player could easily decide to fight that interesting looking monster that you know to be horrifying dangerous.)

Be prepared to wing it. (Just because you spend alot of time setting up a storyline doesn't mean it is the most interesting thing to the player.)

As an adventure design proposition, try to provide three (or more) ways to overcome a challenge: Fighting, Sneaking, Thinking.

Example: There is a troll outside a cave that the character needs/wants to get into. Context clues can help the player to recognize there are other options than immediately entering into combat with sword/spell (though if that's what they really enjoy, by all means! But I would advise keeping encounters within the realm of probable victory for a character). Perhaps the troll appears to be preparing for bed (i.e. sneak by when it's asleep), or gathering up wood for a cookfire (poison the stew?), or has a game out (challenge it to a contest of wits for the player's freedom/safe passage).

As you are the DM, anything (even a normally mindless killing machine of a monster) can exhibit traits that allow a player to bypass without combat.