PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes anime!?

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-16, 10:08 PM
In another one of my random D&D Conversions, I have embarked on a mission fueled by three quarters boredom and one quarter geekosity to translate the main characters of Samurai Champloo into D&D.

'Cuz really, more campaigns need to be like Samurai Champloo.

My first conversion will be everyone's favorite scoundrel, Mugen. Anyone else who is familiar with the series, please feel free to make suggestions as to how this "translation" could possibly be more accurate....
~

Mugen

http://tig.boo.jp/samurai-mugen.gif

Mugen (his name means both "without illusion" and "infinity") is a wandering swordsman and former pirate from the Ryukyu Islands (modern Okinawa). During Mugen's lifetime (sometime in the early-to-mid 1600s), the Ryukyus were used as a prison colony by the then-dominant Shogunate of Japan. Mugen was born into the harsh, cruel environment of a penal colony, where every day was a struggle to survive. He had no childhood as we would think of it, but was forced to fight for everything he could get from day one. He grew into a savage but proud warrior and joined a gang of pirates led by his childhood friend, Mukuro.

Pirating was lucrative business, and Mugen sharpened his skills on the high seas by developing an unorthodox blend of various martial arts he dubbed "champuru kendo." (Champuru is literally the word for "mix.") However, eventually Mugen parted from Mukuro under less-than-friendly circumstances and ended up wandering in the mainland of Japan.

Although he is one of the three protagonists of Samurai Champloo, few if anyone would describe Mugen as a hero. He wanders the countryside with no regard or concern for law, believing only in the rule of strength and the right of might. He takes what he wants, goes where he wants and gives no thought to consequences. In fact, Mugen will fight to the death out of annoyance, hunger, boredom or simply because an adversary appears to be a worthy foe.

Despite his (many) flaws and his cantankerous, laconic personality, Mugen holds himself to his word without fail. His pride as a warrior will not allow him to concede defeat if there is even the slimmest chance of victory. He can also not stand, as a point of personal pride, to let any warrior who is his equal go without a fight. On the flip side, Mugen prefers not to bother with "weaklings" and if someone does not have the prowess to arouse Mugen's interest, then he is quite safe from the barbarous warrior.

Mugen's fighting style is as unpredictable as he is. In battle, he relies on an overwhelming offense to deal with his opponents quickly, always making a Leaping Charge in the first round and liberally using his distinctive Snap Kick (used with a Capeira-style headspin) to make as many attacks as possible. If that fails, Mugen relies on improvisation, using the environment and his surroundings to deal with enemies.

Mugen is startlingly innovative in combat, although he is blockheaded and slow on the uptake in most other respects. In fact, Mugen can learn new combat techniques with amazing ease and incorporate them into his style. One of Mugen's notable tricks is the undersides of his geta (wooden sandals) are plated with steel, allowing him to deflect swords with his feet.

To reflect the fast-paced, mobile nature of combat in Samurai Champloo, Mugen is presented here with a Class Bonus to AC as per the alternative rule found in Unearthed Arcana. It is also suggested that for a feel best mimicking the combat in Samurai Champloo, players use the alternate rules for Combat Facing in UA.

Mugen, Human Barbarian 6/Rogue 3/Fighter 6; CR 15; Medium-Sized Humanoid; HD: 3d6+6d12+6d10+60 (160 HP); Spd: 40 ft. (8 squares); Init: +8 (+4 dex, +4 Improved Init.); AC: 25 (+4 dex, +11 class) Touch 25, Flat-Footed 25; BaB & Grapple: +14/+3 & +15; Attacks: +2 Keen Scimitar +18 melee (1d6+4, 16-20/x3 slash) or Unarmed Strike +16 melee (1d6+2, x2 bludg.) or Hidden MW Dagger +19 thrown (10 ft, 1d4+2 19-20/x2 slash); Full Attack: +2 keen Scimitar +18/+8 (1d6+4, 16-20/x3 slash) or Unarmed Strike +16/+6 melee (1d6+2, x2 bludg.) or Hidden MW Dagger +19/+9 thrown (10 ft, 1d4+2 19-20/x2 slash); S/R: 5 ft/5 ft; SA: Sneak Attack +2d6; SQ: Rage 2/day, Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trapfinding, Evasion; Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +4; Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 12
Skills & Feats: Balance +17, Bluff +8, Climb +6, Hide +6, Intimidate +9, Jump +17, Move Silently +6, Sleight of Hand +12, Tumble +18, Survival +4, Swim +11
Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Endurance, Die Hard, Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick*, Einhander**

Special Attacks:

Sneak Attack +2d6: Mugen can strike at an enemy's vital spots for extra damage whenever that target would be denied a Dex bonus to AC, or if Mugen is flanking his opponent.

Tactical Feat - Einhander: Mugen excels at wielding a one-handed weapon while carrying nothing in his off hand. He can use this style to several effects.

Narrow Profile: Mugen always offers the slimmest side of his body as his adversary's only target. He gains an additional +2 dodge obnus to AC when fighting defensively or using the Total Defense action.
Off-Hand Balance: After successfully striking an opponent, Mugen gains a +2 bonus to Tumble checks to avoid attacks of opportunity until his next turn, flipping and rolling out of harm's way.
Off-Hand Swap: By taking a full attack (or using Snap Kick) to strike his opponent at least twice, Mugen may make a special combat Feint using his Sleight of Hand instead of Bluff skill. The opponent resists the feint normally. This technique may only be used once per opponent.

Special Qualities:

Rage 2/Day: Once per encounter, Mugen can enter a rage that lasts for 9 rounds. During this time he gains +4 Strength and +4 Constitution, as well as a +2 Morale Bonus to Will Saves. However, he suffers a -2 penalty to Armor Class. While raging, Mugen cannot use any Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence based skills (except for balance, escape artist, intimidate and ride), the concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration. Nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that requrie a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand) or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

Trap Sense: Mugen gains a +2 bonus to Reflex saves when avoiding damage dealt by traps, snares and the like.

Uncanny Dodge: Mugen Retains his Dexterity (and Class) bonus to AC even when caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
Improved Uncanny Dodge: Mugen cannot be flanked, except by a Rogue of at least four levels higher.

Trapfinding: Mugen can use the Search Skill to locate traps with a Search DC higher than 20. Not that he ever will, but technically, he could.
Evasion: If Mugen succesfully makes a Reflex save for half damage against any kind of attack, ignore all damage instead. On a failed save, Mugen still only takes half damage from the attack.

*This feat is found in Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.
**This feat is found in The Player's Handbook II.

duncan
2007-01-16, 10:34 PM
Love Samuri Champloo... Mega Badass... probably the only anime I like

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-16, 10:40 PM
I've heard people talk about making a Mugen character and others suggesting the whirling frenzy barbarian rage variant. I myself would use it were I the one making Mugen. Otherwise I love this, good job.

Edit: Oh, also since he wields a katana I'd venture he uses a bastardsword instead of a scimitar.

Ryke Masters
2007-01-16, 10:45 PM
This seems pretty good, but since I haven't watched Samurai Champloo (because it doesn't air around here and I can't torrent it), I didn't read all of that.

However, it made me realise that someone really needs to homebrew some Ghost In The Shell stuff. Would be great for D20 Modern/Future.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-16, 10:47 PM
Whirling Frenzy variant is a pretty good idea. I could definitely see it---although there are times when Mugen is so berserk it seems like he just has to be raging....

And actually, the sword isn't a katana. It's never properly identified, but nerds have gauged the closest equivalent to be the Persian shamshir. Presumably he picked it up at some point during his bucaneering days.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-16, 10:48 PM
Whirling Frenzy variant is a pretty good idea. I could definitely see it---although there are times when Mugen is so berserk it seems like he just has to be raging....

And actually, the sword isn't a katana. It's never properly identified, but nerds have gauged the closest equivalent to be the Persian shamshir. Presumably he picked it up at some point during his bucaneering days.
I've always known it's been a little off from a traditional katana, but that's just how I've always seen it as: Just a weird-ass katana. But of course it's up to the creator's interpretation.

knightsaline
2007-01-16, 11:13 PM
However, it made me realise that someone really needs to homebrew some Ghost In The Shell stuff. Would be great for D20 Modern/Future.

why not riding tachikomas for D&D? i can see them as awakened constructs that have a childlike intelligence and want to know more about death. they would have a bonus to diplomacy and bluff (only a god would be able to solve the eternal loop puzzle "the next thing I am about to say is a lie. I am lying") they would have inbuilt repeating crossbows and have a scroll of fireball (to represent a rocket launcher). more powerful tachikomas would not have the repeating crossbows, but have magic missile as a SLA, castable at will. you can make awakened constructs, its a legitimate spell from the spell compendium, it just needs a high level cleric and a humanoid brain from a humanoid that has not been dead for more than 8 hours.

besides, someomnes already done tachikomas for D20 modern. I can't remember who did it, but I copied it into my computer. here it is...

Tachikoma

Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 6d10+30 (66 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +5 dex, +6 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Slam +6 melee(1d8+6) or Machine Gun +7 ranged(2d10/100 ft.)
Full Attack: Slam +6 melee(1d8+6) or 2 Machine Gun +7 ranged(2d10/100 ft.)
Space Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Howitzer Shell, Improved Grab, Spider Shot
Special Qualities: Evasion, Thermoptic Camo, Rider, Spider Climb
Saves: Fort +2, Refl +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con -, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Computer Use +18, Jump +33, Knowledge(all) +14, Listen +11, Move Silenty +14, Profession(Soldier) +11, Spot +11
Feats: Dodge(bonus), Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot On The Run
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, Duo(1 plus 1 human), or Team(2-5 plus 2-5 humans)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 7-10 HD(large), or by character class
Level Adjustment: -

This strange blue tank is spider-like in design and has a large pod in back to fit a human driver, two machine guns attached to dexterous arms, and a small cannon attached to it's front side.

Tachikoma are AI controlled “Think-Tanks” designed for use by Public Security Section 9. While efficient and deadly soldiers, Tachikomas tend to care more about philosophy then warfare. A Tachikoma is a little taller then a human, and weighs several hundred pounds.

Combat
Tachikoma's usually only fight if ordered to. They usually prefer to remain both stealth and mobile, taking advantage of agility, speed, and ability to turn invisible. They primarly rely on their twin machine guns for combat, though they use their howitzer for heavier targets, and their improved grab ability if they need their target alive.

Evasion(Ex): A Tachikoma takes no damage on a succesful reflex save from an effect that normally allows half damage on a succesful save.

Howitzer Shell(Ex): As a standard action, a Tachikoma who is loaded with a howitzer shell may fire it out of their main cannon within 100 feat of itself. A howitzer shell deals 6d10 fire damage in a 10ft spread from the point of impact(Reflex Save DC 18 for half damage). A Tachikoma can only hold one howitzer shell at a time, and cannot reload itself. Reloading a Tachikomas howitzer shell is a standard action. This save DC is dexterity based.

Improved Grab(Ex): To use this ability a Tachikoma must hit with a slam attack. It can then start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rider(Ex): A medium sized humanoid can enter a willing Tachikoma as a full-round action and take control of it's functions. The rider has access to all of the Tachikoma's special attacks, special qualities, movement speed, racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, natural weapons, and uses the Tachikoma's strength and dexterity scores. The rider retains all other abilities, including mental ability scores, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and feats. A rider has full cover while riding a Tachikoma.

Spider Climb(Ex): A Tachikoma is always benefits from the effects of spider climb though they have a 30 ft. and may still take the run action while climbing.

Spider Shot(Ex): As a standard action a Tachikoma can shoot a sticky web like substance up to 100 ft. This has two functions. If aimed at a wall, ceiling, or other surface the Tachikoma can immediately pull themselves to that surface flying through the air to the target location at a speed of 60ft until they land on the surface. If aimed at a creature or object the Tachikoma may attempt to start a grapple with a ranged touch attack. After the grapple is initiated a Tachikoma may attempt an opposed grapple check to pull themselves to the target, or pull their target to them.

Thermoptic Camo(Ex): A Tachikoma can become invisible at will as the spell. Activating or deactivating this ability is a standard action.

Skills
A Tachikoma receives a +20 racial bonus to Jump checks, a +5 bonus to all Computer Use checks, and a +10 to all Knowledge checks and can use all knowledge skills untrained.

Machete
2007-01-17, 12:50 AM
I brewed up the steel-plated geta a while back among other things. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1703917#post1703917

Armored Geta Shoes - These wooden shoes imbedded with metal strips impose a -3 penalty on Move Silently checks made on hard surfaces. These shoes are considered an exotic weapon and fighting with them untrained means the normal -4 penalty for unfamiliarity with them as a weapon. They deal damage as a gauntlet of their size. They require a DC Spot 25 or DC Search 15 to be recognized as armored geta shoes. They require a Craft: Cobbler DC 15 or Craft: Woodworking DC 20 or Craft: Weaponsmithing DC 25 to make and cost 50 gp. 2 lb.

The 8th Sin
2007-01-17, 05:04 PM
Full Metal Alchemist provides an excellent campaign setting. Anyone done any FMA stuff?

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-17, 06:39 PM
There's a D20 Full Metal Alchemist project somewhere... yeah, here's the link to the project wiki: http://wikis.grendel.org/fma/index.php/Main_Page

averagejoe
2007-01-18, 02:37 AM
Cool idea, and for the most part well done. I could easily be wrong, but I seem to have spotted some mistakes. You list him as having three rogue levels, and the 2d6 sneak attack bonus is consistant with this; however, you list him as having hit dice equal to 2d6+6d12+6d10, when a third level of rogue would give him 3d6+6d12+6d10+60. Also, you list his base attack bonus as +13/+2, when it should be +14/+3 (+12 for the fighter and barbarian levels, +2 for the three rogue levels.)

Alright, I know everyone probably likes Jin better, but you should do Foo next just because Momo owns everyone. :smallbiggrin:

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-20, 01:29 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I originally had Mugen as a 2nd-level Rogue, but I decided his Sneak Attack would hardly be worthwile if it only gave a +1d6 bonus (and from the way he constantly tries to flank his opponent in the series, it's clear to me he should have a sneak attack).

EDIT: Jin is the one I'm trying to stat right now (Fuu is.... probably just an Expert 2.) Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out how to represent his "Ultimate Technique" (I don't want to post any spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the final episode) using feats.

The 8th Sin
2007-01-20, 10:24 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I originally had Mugen as a 2nd-level Rogue, but I decided his Sneak Attack would hardly be worthwile if it only gave a +1d6 bonus (and from the way he constantly tries to flank his opponent in the series, it's clear to me he should have a sneak attack).

EDIT: Jin is the one I'm trying to stat right now (Fuu is.... probably just an Expert 2.) Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out how to represent his "Ultimate Technique" (I don't want to post any spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the final episode) using feats.

It will be simple to discuss how to make his Ultimate Technique without saying what it is or making any references that might hint at a spoiler:smallannoyed:

The 8th Sin
2007-01-20, 10:25 PM
Is anyone here in any way involved in the FMA D20 project? Because I can't figure out how to communicate with the other members.

Karasu
2008-01-30, 05:41 PM
I really like the idea here, especially the use of the UA level-based AC. (It actually helped out a lot with character concepts I'd been working on, along with the armor as damage reduction rules) I'm curious, though- any progress on Jin's build yet? I'm very interested to see it- it can be rough trying to represent smart, expert fighter-types. (well, there is warblade... all those "Int to ___" abilites.)