PDA

View Full Version : Effects of fighting really, really high up

dethkruzer
2013-12-16, 07:51 AM
So, one idea I had for my ongoing campaign (currently around level 40) has to do with the character having to destroy the bbegs superweapon before it can wreak too much havoc. Problem is, said superweapon is a borderline-artifact level magitech attack satellite with a will of its own.

so, the main PC has wings, but he'll probably need some magical help to get anywhere near the silly thing. And what I'm wondering is what kind of effects could we safely assume to fall upon the character as he continues getting higher? Assumed that the atmosphere is relatively similar to that of earth

Gemini476
2013-12-16, 08:01 AM
Bloating due to low pressure, a general lack of air, popped airdrums, and extreme cold. Also wind. Lots of wind.

Of course, most of that can be avoided just by using Endure Elements and getting something to bring up air (isn't there a Bottle of Air in some book?)

A better question is what would be fun rather than what would be realistic, since realistically your PC couldn't fly within multiple kilometers of anything within orbit.
As in, multiple tens of kilometers.
Orbit is really, really high up.

Mr Adventurer
2013-12-16, 08:18 AM
Does Frostburn have rules for high altitude?

Zanos
2013-12-16, 08:42 AM
The epic spell Nailed to the Sky sets the D&D version of space exposure to be:

Deleterious effects include scorching heat, cold, and vacuum. Targets subject to these conditions take 2d6 points of damage each from heat or cold and 1d4 points of damage from the vacuum each round. The target immediately begins to suffocate.

Protection from heat, cold, suffocation, and "vaccum" are therefore necessary to travel in space. Also, non-magical flight probably doesn't work at these altitudes, due to the lack of air for wings and such to actually act on.

Assuming access to high level magic considering that it's a level 40 caimpaign, a Planar Bubble spell will protect you from pretty much any hostile environment.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-12-16, 08:45 AM
Last time the PCs went into space in a campaign I was running I just had them all buy a necklace of adaptation, use a psionic item of Adapt Body or similar

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-16, 09:03 AM
Well, they are in epic levels.

I say that they need SU flight, powerful endure elements, and some means to not breathe. That is all trivial at that level.

So crack open frostburn and sandstorm. Space is ether the lowest level cold or the highest level hot depending on the light conditions and how you radiate heat. I would simplify things and state that everyone is at the lowest cold level.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-16, 10:26 AM
powerful endure elements

Endure Elements doesn't help with damage.

Endure Elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm)

A creature protected by endure elements suffers no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. It can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). The creature’s equipment is likewise protected.

Endure elements doesn’t provide any protection from fire or cold damage, nor does it protect against other environmental hazards such as smoke, lack of air, and so forth.

(Unless you're talking about some advanced version of the spell which I'm not aware of? I can only find the basic version atm)

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-16, 10:28 AM
Yes, they would likely have cold resistance. They could also stack effects that reduce the effects of temperature bands. See frostburn for a more detailed explanation for surviving very cold areas.

Morcleon
2013-12-16, 10:29 AM
The psionic power adapt body explicitly protects you from vacuum. :smallbiggrin:

Zirconia
2013-12-16, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure whether you mean an actual "satellite" when you call this thing a magitech satellite, if so, there are a couple of issues. First, a satellite must be orbiting well above any atmosphere you can measure without instruments, so wings will be completely useless. Second, if you could use something like a Fly spell to get up there, a satellite would be whipping past you at around 5 miles/second. Much, much faster than a rifle bullet, if there were air think Mach 25ish. People have put together bizarre builds to do Jumps and such to get to those speeds, but they are pretty specialized.

My suggestion is to not have it be an orbiting satellite, but merely something that hovers very high in the atmosphere. If in the real world we had "antigravity" like they do in D&D all the way down at 0th level with Prestidigitation, that would be a very popular way to replace a lot of things we use satellites for now, having them zoom by so fast is actually kind of inconvenient for things like spy satellites or death ray attack platforms.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-16, 11:01 AM
That would depend on how fly works. It appears to reference the ground, as you fly at a set speed despite wind or weather. Therefore a geostationary satellite would be a stationary target.

Gemini476
2013-12-16, 11:41 AM
My suggestion is to not have it be an orbiting satellite, but merely something that hovers very high in the atmosphere. If in the real world we had "antigravity" like they do in D&D all the way down at 0th level with Prestidigitation, that would be a very popular way to replace a lot of things we use satellites for now, having them zoom by so fast is actually kind of inconvenient for things like spy satellites or death ray attack platforms.

Geostationary orbit is a thing, y'know. It's functionally identical to simply hovering high above a spot.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-16, 12:04 PM
Maybe, depends on your reference plane. In the real world, once you match rotational velocities with anything in orbit, it is basically sitting still. DND doesn't have acceleration though, so the rules get a little funky when it comes to moving really fast.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-16, 01:51 PM
So, one idea I had for my ongoing campaign (currently around level 40) has to do with the character having to destroy the bbegs superweapon before it can wreak too much havoc. Problem is, said superweapon is a borderline-artifact level magitech attack satellite with a will of its own.

so, the main PC has wings, but he'll probably need some magical help to get anywhere near the silly thing. And what I'm wondering is what kind of effects could we safely assume to fall upon the character as he continues getting higher? Assumed that the atmosphere is relatively similar to that of earth

(currently around level 40)

level 40

If you have a fullcaster in your group, you can access basically any magic you freaking want.

Like make an item of at-will Planar Bubble (Sorc/Wiz 7 Cleric 7), and choose the most comfy plane you can think of. The cost to do that should be chump change for you. Hell, just casting it at CL 40 would give you 400 minutes (6 hours and 40 minutes), which should be more than enough time. If that's not enough, Extend it to get 13 hours and 20 minutes.

Or just cast Energy Immunity for cold and fire. Then you just need to take care of the vacuum. Even so, it's 1d4 per round, which is negligible at level 40.

Also cast something like Phantom Steed or Overland Flight, because winged creatures can be tripped. Your whole party should be able to get up there no problem.

When you get up there (which is crazy easy), try to pull some Code Geass shenanigans, take over the satellite, and use it to call down airstrikes on your enemies.

If you can't fly fast enough to hit escape velocity and get up there, just cast Greater Teleoport.

Big Fau
2013-12-16, 01:59 PM
Doesn't the Atropus section of Elder Evils have rules for sub-orbital combat?

Feint's End
2013-12-16, 06:08 PM
Your group is probably incredibly low op if they have a full caster. Because ... level 40 .... WHAT?. They could unload a sun on the thing in while drinking a tea with Olidammara and laughing of the times they stole the pants of one of the archdemons.

dethkruzer
2013-12-17, 11:52 AM
Your group is probably incredibly low op if they have a full caster. Because ... level 40 .... WHAT?. They could unload a sun on the thing in while drinking a tea with Olidammara and laughing of the times they stole the pants of one of the archdemons.

well, there is the npc Psion, although he is missing both arms from the elbow down, and he's terminally ill. And a multiclass warforged sorcerer who is a bit occupied with keeping one third of the Resistance together.

also, to work around the fact that stopping the superweapon would be damn near impossible if it was in an actual geosynchronous orbit. Just think of it as a floating weapons platform magically suspended at around 30-40 kilometers above sea level.