PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic'd Living Spell

PraxisVetli
2013-12-16, 10:46 AM
Now, there's nothing saying you can't, so the way that seems to work is that therefore, you can.
But this could get boring. Maximized Living Fireball. Energy Substitution Acid Living Cone of Cold. Default things that totally aren't worth making a thread about.
Or it could be Fun.
A Living Locate City Bomb.
Living Apocalypse From the Sky.
(Technically a Living Genesis?)
What would be some fun Meta'd Living Spells, or even non-meta'd but still crazy?

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 12:03 PM
Invisible Spell (Ci61) [insert spell name here] Living Spell. Esp. with the rules interpretation that makes Invisible Spell Summons invisible.

Transdimensional Spell (CAr84) for those pesky ghost PCs.

It's not a Metamagic feat but War Magic Study (D309pg44) War Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306567) would also be hilarious (hilariously very OP).

Twin Spell (CAr84) and Chain Spell (CAr76) are some more that're just wrong. Combine them for even more owch.

I don't know if they're "legal" for Living Spell-ination but spells with Instantaneous or Permanent duration that create stuff are always fun. 'Wall of' spells, Create Crawling Claw (MC:MoF), Awaken Sand (Sa), and Minor Servitor (SS) could all clutter up a battlefield rather quickly.
In the case of Awaken Sand and Minor Servitor the created minions could even be reasoned with and/or affected via Diplomacy.

Fell Animate works much like the above, only worse.

Sanctum Spell (CAr82) could be fun tactically, PCs find that if they lure the oozes out of their lair the spells become easier to handle.

Fell Drain (LM27) because negative levels are fun evil.

And then there are the Metamagic reducers. Which of course shouldn't be used because upping the lethality of a creature without raising it's CR is always a bad idea.

nedz
2013-12-16, 12:23 PM
Explosive spell could be funny, especially after an Engulf.

Born of Three Thunders would also be quite debilitating.

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 03:55 PM
Living Wish: Create Magic Item: Cursed Magic Item could be funny too.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-16, 04:00 PM
I am having horrible visions of a Fell Drain Sonic Snap Swarm.

Telonius
2013-12-16, 04:02 PM
Living Sanctum Spell'd "Locate Object." It can tell you where anything is, within the confines of the Sanctum. (Might be handy to have around, to find missing car keys and such).

nedz
2013-12-16, 05:25 PM
Living Prestidigitation. It can do anything, well almost, and it has a life of it's own.

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 05:30 PM
A Living Spell, Awaken Ooze (D304pg38) could be neat.
It's a Sor/Wiz 8 spell.

IAmTehDave
2013-12-16, 05:31 PM
Living Prestidigitation. It can do anything, well almost, and it has a life of it's own.

Can it start taking wizard levels?

Living Sanctum Spell'd "Locate Object." It can tell you where anything is, within the confines of the Sanctum. (Might be handy to have around, to find missing car keys and such).

I...I wantneed one of these for my apartment.

OT:
How about a Living Maximized Create Greater Undead. (The HP of the undead created could be considered a variable, numeric effect, right?)

PraxisVetli
2013-12-16, 11:14 PM
Could be a great low level encounter.
Some bar haunting poltergeist is really a Living Prestidigitation.

I am having horrible visions of a Fell Drain Sonic Snap Swarm.
Nasty but I love it.

Telonius
2013-12-17, 12:56 AM
Any living spell, with Cooperative. Sits around all day waiting for a caster to show up.

Any living spell, with Innate Spell. The Living Spell turns into a Living Spell-Like Ability three times per day.

TuggyNE
2013-12-17, 02:50 AM
Any living spell, with Cooperative. Sits around all day waiting for a caster to show up.

Any living spell, with Innate Spell. The Living Spell turns into a Living Spell-Like Ability three times per day.

Those are hilariously awesome. Especially the first one.

nedz
2013-12-17, 05:23 AM
Living Tensor's Transformation, with Cooperative. Sits around all day waiting for a caster to show up and then turns them into a melee monster.

TuggyNE
2013-12-17, 05:29 AM
Living Tensor's Transformation, with Cooperative. Sits around all day waiting for a caster to show up and then turns them into a melee monster.

A melee monster that can't cast. Fiendish!

Xuldarinar
2013-12-17, 05:46 AM
I've discussed this previously, but thought I would bring this up here as it can be considered at least remotely relevant. Living Mysteries.

Eligible Mysteries: If we allow it to apply to things other than just the standard arcane and divine, at a glance we have:

Tome of Magic
Arrow of Dusk
Black Fire
Carpet of Shadow
Clinging Darkness
Curtain of Shadows
Dark Air or Water
Dusk and Dawn
Echo Spell
Ephemeral Image
Far Sight
Flood of Shadow
Killing Shadows
Liquid Night
Pass into Shadow
Shadow Evocation
Shadow Evocation, Greater
Shadow Plague

Urban Magic Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)
Black Labyrinth
Deadly Shade
Fearful Gloom
Grasping Shadows
Menagerie of Darkness
Sickening Shadow

Rather than having metamagic feats, they have metashadow feats. They are as follows:

Empower Mystery
Enlarge Mystery
Extend Mystery
Line of Shadow
Maximize Mystery
Quicken Mystery
Reach Mystery
Still Mystery

Any fun anyone sees to be had with these?

Der_DWSage
2013-12-17, 05:47 AM
Personally, I'm more fond of Living Spells that work at cross-purposes with themselves. Like a Heightened Spell of Close Wounds-it wants to help! It wants to heal! But it has to slam everyone at max damage in order to help. It's a very sad little ooze.

Or perhaps a Major Image Living Spell that wants to show people its screenplay. It's a lovely story, got a beginning, middle, and end. Enemies become friends, friends become enemies. It's just that in order for you to watch it, it has to punch you in the face every 6 seconds. It is also a sad ooze.

Whereas the Twin Heal Living Spell would be very irritable and hungry. It just can't kill anything faster than it cures it! It's been living off the kills of Major Image can't finish.

But probably my favorite of all...would be fairly simple. A True Resurrection Living Spell that continuously revives you, so that it can dine again and again.

Xuldarinar
2013-12-17, 06:23 AM
Personally, I'm more fond of Living Spells that work at cross-purposes with themselves. Like a Heightened Spell of Close Wounds-it wants to help! It wants to heal! But it has to slam everyone at max damage in order to help. It's a very sad little ooze.

Or perhaps a Major Image Living Spell that wants to show people its screenplay. It's a lovely story, got a beginning, middle, and end. Enemies become friends, friends become enemies. It's just that in order for you to watch it, it has to punch you in the face every 6 seconds. It is also a sad ooze.

Whereas the Twin Heal Living Spell would be very irritable and hungry. It just can't kill anything faster than it cures it! It's been living off the kills of Major Image can't finish.

But probably my favorite of all...would be fairly simple. A True Resurrection Living Spell that continuously revives you, so that it can dine again and again.

That is all interesting and all but three of those are regretfully invalid.

Close Wounds is not eligible.
Heal is not eligible.
True Resurrection is not eligible.

They do not fit the following: "The template can be applied to any spell that creates an area or effect (not targeted spells), but not a spell whose effect is already a creature (such as a summon monster spell)."

Der_DWSage
2013-12-17, 12:44 PM
Alas. I suppose it'd have to be Mass Heal, then. And Mass Cure Light Wounds.

Dunno how I'd work in Living Resurrection, in that case.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-17, 12:52 PM

Those are still (multiple) targeted spells.

Fable Wright
2013-12-17, 03:49 PM
Living Echoing Energy Transformation Field. When someone casts a spell into it, it makes an Echoing Energy Transformation Field. An hour after that, it gets Echoing Spell as an SLA at CL 13. And an hour after that, at CL 10, then 7, etc. And when those ETFs make ETFs, the Living Spell gets an ETF use. Essentially, a living, spreading anti-casting plague.

nedz
2013-12-17, 04:02 PM
How would a Repeat Spell Living Spell work ?

Would the effect just repeat the next round ?
Would there be two oozes, one following the other ?
Would this cause the ooze to split ?

Xuldarinar
2013-12-17, 04:15 PM
I wonder how a living shadow evocation would work..
If we allow mysteries, what about a living echo spell? Would it just have it's damage effect replicate the last cast spell near/at it? Would it create living spells of spells and mysteries cast near/at it? Provided that they are not higher than 4th level spells/mysteries.

Futhermore, allow me to prevent another notion. What about living powers?

unseenmage
2013-12-17, 06:02 PM
Living Echoing Energy Transformation Field. When someone casts a spell into it, it makes an Echoing Energy Transformation Field. An hour after that, it gets Echoing Spell as an SLA at CL 13. And an hour after that, at CL 10, then 7, etc. And when those ETFs make ETFs, the Living Spell gets an ETF use. Essentially, a living, spreading anti-casting plague.

This pleases me.
Well, the evil viscous me who wants to DM a party of low level full casters who don't get to start trying to stop this plague until it engulfs half their world...

nedz
2013-12-17, 07:22 PM
A melee monster that can't cast. Fiendish!

Exactly the point :smallcool:

ben-zayb
2013-12-17, 08:38 PM
Invisible massive area effect spells are the best. Talk about a walking calamity. Try the metamagic on a living spell-d:

Control Weather
Blizzard
Fimbulwinter
Frostfell

A Living Fell Animate Animate City turns a metropolis into a necropolis.

A Living Invisible Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is just sick.

A Living Invisible Teleportation Circle could be used hilariously or morbidly.

Futhermore, allow me to prevent another notion. What about living powers?A Living Burrowing Stygian Conflagration for the Lulz.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-17, 10:40 PM
A Living Invisible Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is just sick.

Arent those in tose in the Epic Level Handbook?
Umbral Blots?
except visible.

ben-zayb
2013-12-18, 12:34 AM
Arent those in tose in the Epic Level Handbook?
Umbral Blots?
except visible.Oh yeah. I forgot about those. Possible advantages would be innate invisibility, fell animate, and fell drain if you can manage it.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-19, 11:17 AM
That is all interesting and all but three of those are regretfully invalid.

Close Wounds is not eligible.
Heal is not eligible.
True Resurrection is not eligible.

They do not fit the following: "The template can be applied to any spell that creates an area or effect (not targeted spells), but not a spell whose effect is already a creature (such as a summon monster spell)."

Those are still (multiple) targeted spells.
Well, the template does say non targeting spells, but then has Sickening Sleep as an example that combine Sleep and Ray of Enfeeblement, which is totally a targeting spell, right?
Soool.. I dunno.
Just saiyan.

Oh yeah. I forgot about those. Possible advantages would be innate invisibility, fell animate, and fell drain if you can manage it.

You stop that.
You stop that right now.

ben-zayb
2013-12-19, 12:11 PM
You stop that.
You stop that right now.Aside from Fell Drain, how about we also add the Violate Spell metamagic for absolute vileness?

*You are your own worst enemy*
Living Violate Fell Drain Ice Assassin
Living Violate Fell Drain Body Outside Body

Since I realize that the Spell Effect (Su) is localized on the target, how about a Living Repeat Reaving Dispel, a Living Violate Fell Drain Slashing Dispel, or, HELL, a Living Repeat Mage's Disjunction?

The Insaniac
2013-12-19, 01:13 PM
And this is why the spell sovereign is one of the most fun prestige classes I have ever found. Don't forget that you can combine two spells into one living spell and the second spell doesn't need to have a target.

Living invisible freezing chaos (freezing fog plus maw of chaos.

AMFV
2013-12-19, 02:06 PM
Aside from Fell Drain, how about we also add the Violate Spell metamagic for absolute vileness?

*You are your own worst enemy*
Living Violate Fell Drain Ice Assassin
Living Violate Fell Drain Body Outside Body

Since I realize that the Spell Effect (Su) is localized on the target, how about a Living Repeat Reaving Dispel, a Living Violate Fell Drain Slashing Dispel, or, HELL, a Living Repeat Mage's Disjunction?

Neither of those spells qualify, as both of them have an effect that is already a creature.

Also a Living Gate would be really interesting and slightly awesome.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-19, 02:31 PM
Does an Invisible Fell Animate spell make invisible zombies....?

AMFV
2013-12-19, 02:36 PM
Does an Invisible Fell Animate spell make invisible zombies....?

I don't believe so, since the Zombies are the targets of the spell in this case, and those are explicitly unchanged by invisible spell. The summoning spells are the ones that are supposed to work this way (and that's debatable) however any invisible spell living spell, would also be invisible. So you'd have an invisible ooze that could go around making zombies.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-19, 10:23 PM
Invisible oozes just sounds like a bad day.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-20, 01:30 AM
How about an invisible antipathy ooze? Causes massive problems that no one seems to want to deal with.

ben-zayb
2013-12-20, 03:54 AM
Neither of those spells qualify, as both of them have an effect that is already a creature.

Also a Living Gate would be really interesting and slightly awesome.Oops, forgot about that restriction. I guess we have to settle with a Living Fell-Animate Fell-Drain Violate Invisible Prismatic Sphere.:smallwink: