PDA

View Full Version : My armor list for IH

Hurlbut
2007-01-16, 10:50 PM
Heya, I made this list as diverse as possible so that players in my game could make their home regions more unique. What I need help with is whenever I am right to use DR vulnerability to damage type and whenever the armors need a specific vulnerable assigned to it or be changed.

Armor / Cost / DR / Max Dex Bonus / ACP / Weight (M)
**Light Armor
Wicker 1 gp 1/ 5 0 5
Padded 5 gp 1/- 8 0 10
Bark 5 gp 2/Slashing 5 -2 15
Cord 15 gp 2/Bludgeoning 5 -1 15
Leather 10 gp 2/Piercing 6 0 15
Bone 20 gp 3/Bludgeoning 4 -3 20
Wood 15 gp 3/ 4 -3 15
Studded Leather 25 gp 3/Piercing 5 -1 20
Leather Scale 35 gp 3/ 6 -2 20
Chain shirt 100 gp 4/Piercing 4 -2 25
**Medium Armor
Hide 15 gp 3/Piercing 4 -3 25
Brigandine 30 gp 4/ 2 -5 40
Scale mail 50 gp 4/ 3 -4 30
Ring 75 gp 4/ 4 -3 35
Chainmail 150 gp 5/ 2 -5 40
Lamellar 150 gp 5/Piercing 3 -4 35
Breastplate 200 gp 5/ 3 -4 30
**Heavy Armor
Splint mail 200 gp 6/Piercing 0 -7 45
Banded mail 250 gp 6/Bludgeoning 1 -6 35
Half-plate 600 gp 7/Bludgeoning 0 -7 50
Full plate 1200 gp 8/Bludgeoning 1 -6 50
Heavy plate 2000 gp 9/ 0 -8 100

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-01-16, 11:05 PM
You're using static DR? If so, these are quite a bit stronger than the core IH armors, though I suppose the damage vulnerabilities do limit that somewhat.

I'm curious why you feel the need for the damage vulerabilities in the first place though. It seems like it just adds another layer of bookkeeping, not to mention that apparently every upper-level character would be wielding a greatclub.

Hurlbut
2007-01-16, 11:08 PM
You're using static DR? If so, these are quite a bit stronger than the core IH armors, though I suppose the damage vulnerabilities do limit that somewhat.

I'm curious why you feel the need for the damage vulerabilities in the first place though. It seems like it just adds another layer of bookkeeping, not to mention that apparently every upper-level character would be wielding a greatclub.Certain armours do protect very well against specific damage types, the vulnerabilities list what they do not protect very well against.

You could have a warhammer, a maul, a greathammer, what not. Plated knights did carried warhammers so they could damaged each other better.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-17, 12:01 AM
I would venture to remove the vulnerabilities, and make it so that whenever the target it damaged by an armor that owuld have a specific vulnerability, that it damages the user and the armor.

Hurlbut
2007-01-17, 12:22 AM
whenever the target it damaged by an armor that owuld have a specific vulnerability, that it damages the user and the armor.Huh? :confused:

2007-01-17, 06:52 AM
Certain armours do protect very well against specific damage types, the vulnerabilities list what they do not protect very well against.

You could have a warhammer, a maul, a greathammer, what not. Plated knights did carried warhammers so they could damaged each other better.

Sorry if I was unclear; I don't disagree with you that some armors work better against some weapons types than others. I just wonder if it needlessly complicates things.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-17, 11:22 AM
Huh? :confused:

Let me try again: keep the vulnerability types, but make them so that instead of having the damage cut through into the wearer, have the damage the armor would prevent instead damage the armor.

2007-01-17, 11:11 PM
Let me try again: keep the vulnerability types, but make them so that instead of having the damage cut through into the wearer, have the damage the armor would prevent instead damage the armor.

Oof! That's even more bookkeeping in what's supposed to be a fast and furious combat system, not to mention that people would need to replace their armor on a monthly basis.

TheOOB
2007-01-18, 12:48 AM
Organizing that list into a table could greatly help it's readibility. DR armor is generally a very poor idea because Damage Reduction scales very very poorly. 1 point of AC is just as good now as it is 10 levels from now because every point of AC reduces damage taken by 5%, no matter how powerful the attack is (assuming their Atk Bonus isn't 20 higher then your AC that is). By the time you hit level 10 or so a DR of 1 is only a small portion of any attack, to the point of being meaningless.

Hurlbut
2007-01-18, 12:51 AM
Organizing that list into a table could greatly help it's readibility. DR armor is generally a very poor idea because Damage Reduction scales very very poorly. 1 point of AC is just as good now as it is 10 levels from now because every point of AC reduces damage taken by 5%, no matter how powerful the attack is (assuming their Atk Bonus isn't 20 higher then your AC that is). By the time you hit level 10 or so a DR of 1 is only a small portion of any attack, to the point of being meaningless.
The IH use the DR as the primary system for the armor, rather than have the armor give AC bonus.