PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Assassin

Palanan
2013-12-16, 11:36 AM
This is the missing ingredient in a high-society encounter I'm working on for a city campaign. The beguiler will be targeting a foreign ambassador at a gala event, and needs to publicly assassinate him in a way that implicates another foreign power--while the beguiler himself disappears unharmed.

My question is, what's a good fifth-level build to get the job done, and how should he pull it off?

nedz
2013-12-16, 12:17 PM
Normally I'd suggest
Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer 10
(or maybe Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer 10)
but this comes on line a little late for your level 5 target.
Beguiler 5 wouldn't give 3rd level spells — only Silent Spell.

Beguiler can get in and close with skills and spells, but how is he getting out ?

Beguilers aren't very good at doing actual damage, how is he going to do the deed ?

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-16, 12:26 PM
Beguiler 5

Well, alter self into a dignitary then dismiss it while casting of baleful trans-location with the person you are framing. I suggest a good poisoned weapon or scroll of shocking grasp / rod of maximise.

HC Rainbow
2013-12-16, 12:28 PM
Blinding Color Surge (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-ii--80/blinding-color-surge--2983/) is your best bet to get him out. 2nd level spell = Invisibility.

In terms of killing the individual? If theres nothing too special about this individual then Beguiler 4/Rogue 1's Sneak attack, and maybe a potion (cant think of the spell) that increases your sneak attack by 2d6. I know the potion is a bit much but it would cover any question of disbelief that your players could throw out. that'd make for a bloody 1hKO stab wound, and an escape route with a flashy exit.

TheDarkSaint
2013-12-16, 12:40 PM
Gnomish Beguiler 5
Int 18
Silent Spell
Heighten Spell
Spell Focus Illusion
Greater Spell Focus Illusion
Flaw: Whatever
Skill Trick: cloaked Casting

Your DC for a Color Spray is now 20 without Heightening it. (+2 from Gnome, +2 from Spell Focus/Greater spell Focus, +1 from cloaked casting and +1 from 1st level spell with a DC of 14 standard). If you heighten it to 2nd level, you're DC 21.

That's pretty much going to at least stun most of the stuff out there if not knock it right out. You can probably catch any close guards with it too.

Probably the smartest thing to do is go in while invisible, drop a fog cloud while near the target, hit it with a color spray and then disguise self to make your escape.

Xintas
2013-12-16, 03:56 PM
Hey....sounds a lot like a thread I've seen recently....lol.

To plan this out perfectly, we need to know a bit more. How high a level is the target? Are there balconies he can "fall off"? Are refreshments being served? The more information, the more airtight we can make his alibi.

Xintas
2013-12-16, 04:21 PM
To give a more general build, at 5 I would say something like this:

5 Beguiler

Advanced Learing -> Power word pain
Any feat spot -> Deceptive Spell, Sudden Silent

Now, you are not showing any sign of casting a spell but the visual effect is coming from someone else. The target will take 1d6 for a number of rounds dependent on his HD and die in a horribly visible way that cannot be stopped.

At 6, you can take Arcane Thesis, make Power Word Pain your spell, and you only need to use silent spell and deceptive spell, giving you an extra feat slot.

nedz
2013-12-16, 04:48 PM
Another level and you'd have 3rd level spells — but that would be too easy.

You should be able to take him out with a Silent Image, but that is entirely situational and may not be what you are looking for.

You lack any battlefield control so handling a large crowd will be difficult.

Gnomish Beguiler 5
Int 18
Silent Spell
Heighten Spell
Spell Focus Illusion
Greater Spell Focus Illusion
Flaw: Whatever
Skill Trick: cloaked Casting

Your DC for a Color Spray is now 20 without Heightening it. (+2 from Gnome, +2 from Spell Focus/Greater spell Focus, +1 from cloaked casting and +1 from 1st level spell with a DC of 14 standard). If you heighten it to 2nd level, you're DC 21.

That's pretty much going to at least stun most of the stuff out there if not knock it right out. You can probably catch any close guards with it too.

Probably the smartest thing to do is go in while invisible, drop a fog cloud while near the target, hit it with a color spray and then disguise self to make your escape.
Gnome is only +1 DC, you may be thinking about the saves.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.

The skill trick you're thinking of is Conceal Spellcasting, though if you have a surprise round then it might not be necessary. Cloaked Casting is a Beguiler class feature which is only +1 until 8th level.

It's a useful build, I've played a very similar one using a Gnome Sorcerer.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Xintas
Hey....sounds a lot like a thread I've seen recently....lol.

Yes indeed, it was your thread that inspired me with this. :smallbiggrin:

To plan this out perfectly, we need to know a bit more. How high a level is the target? Are there balconies he can "fall off"? Are refreshments being served? The more information, the more airtight we can make his alibi.

The ambassador who's being targeted is probably about fourth or fifth level--I haven't settled on his build yet. He's an experienced combatant and could easily defend himself, so surprise is essential here.

This will be a high-society event, probably a masque or ball, with the crème de la crème of the city mingling and being seen with the ambassador. (He's a "wild man" from the southern mountains, quite an exotic foreigner.) There's rich food, strong drink, refined dancing, chamber music, the works. The ambassador knows the routine and he's enjoying himself, so his guard is definitely down.

Originally Posted by nedz
Beguilers aren't very good at doing actual damage, how is he going to do the deed ?

That's what I'm hoping you folks can help me with. The beguiler needs to:

a) take out the target, and
b) dispatch him dramatically and publicly, while
c) unmistakably implicating a competing foreign power, and then
d) disappear unharmed.

Presumably it's all in the wrist. :smalltongue:

Originally Posted by HC Rainbow
If theres nothing too special about this individual then Beguiler 4/Rogue 1's Sneak attack, and maybe a potion (cant think of the spell) that increases your sneak attack by 2d6.

I did think about sneak attack, but it's gotta be a one-shot, and it has to be visible and shocking to the assembled high society.

nedz
2013-12-16, 05:21 PM
The trouble with your plan is that it lacks subtlety, which is what Beguilers are all about. OK you can do the infiltration/exfiltration all right, but landing the killer blow is the hard part. This isn't helped by only having level 1 and 2 spells available.

A better plan might be to gank him quietly beforehand, disguise yourself as him and then fake an incident at the ball.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 05:26 PM
Well, what subtlety there is lies in the misdirection, which needs to be flawless.

The pre-ganking plan is interesting, to be sure, but it would require either a confederate (risky in too many ways) or a complex illusion, and there will be so many hundreds of eyes paying attention that quite a few people will probably see right through it.

Also, while I like the rogue/beguiler combo, this doesn't necessarily need to be a sneak attack, nor a physical attack at all. Xintas' suggestion about Power Word Pain is another option, especially if it's combined with something flashy cast by an "enemy spellcaster."

nedz
2013-12-16, 05:39 PM
Disguise
Max Ranks 8, Bluff Synergy +2, Disguise Self +10 and some Cha
Add in Misdirection to foil divinations

tricktroller
2013-12-16, 06:03 PM
IS this a PC or NPC?

If it's an NPC I would say give him some one shot item his employer gave him. A signature spelled Disintegrate copying the signature spelled version of the court wizard of the enemy kingdom. Instead of killing him outright it shreds his skin off him. Then while there is panic he baleful transpositions himself and a member of the foreign court who is there on business for a treaty or some such. At which point the guards find the ambassador and the one shot item on the ground standing over the smoking corpse of the other ambassador and you waltz out invisibly. 2 second level spells is all you need, feats sudden still and sudden silent and use them on your invisibility.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by tricktroller
...Then while there is panic he baleful transpositions himself and a member of the foreign court who is there on business for a treaty or some such.

Hmm. I think I need to look into Baleful Transposition. :smalltongue:

Power word pain.... The target will take 1d6 for a number of rounds dependent on his HD and die in a horribly visible way that cannot be stopped.

Initially appealing, but after doing a little reading I'm reconsidering this approach. According to a rather old conversation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43634), Power Word Pain is absurdly effective for a first-level spell. (I've never really looked at it before.)

I'm leaning against this, since the PCs in this campaign will be third or fourth level, and a beguiler spamming PWP could potentially take out half the party. :smalleek:

The trouble with your plan is that it lacks subtlety, which is what Beguilers are all about. OK you can do the infiltration/exfiltration all right, but landing the killer blow is the hard part.

So the last phrase is still the key issue here.

I'm thinking about some sort of combo here, maybe involving a mixture of illusions, Whelm, and some sort of poison. Or maybe a couple of Whelms in quick succession (masked by suitably distracting illusions) and then the final blow as the ambassador slumps unconscious?

tricktroller
2013-12-16, 06:18 PM
Never answered my question if he was a PC or NPC. Kinda hard to give good advice without knowing that much.

Baleful transposition is in the SpC. You and target swap places and if they fail their will save they get moved. I used it while flying to kill an Illithid once. Which is another possible use of the spell and possible way to kill him.

Disguised as the enemy court wizard, fly up swap spots and then fly out laughing maniacally.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by tricktroller
Never answered my question if he was a PC or NPC.

Both the beguiler and his target are NPCs, and this scenario is part of a larger set of machinations in which the PCs will become embroiled. The PCs will probably be third level at this point.

Toliudar
2013-12-16, 06:27 PM
Might the most appropriate spell in this situation be "Charm Person"? The beguiler disguises himself as a member of the faction to be framed, approaches another member of that faction who will be at the party and who has some martial ability, and convinces him/her to kill the ambassador. The fall guy is perfect because they really did do it, and never saw the beguiler's real face.

nedz
2013-12-16, 06:35 PM
So the last phrase is still the key issue here.

I'm thinking about some sort of combo here, maybe involving a mixture of illusions, Whelm, and some sort of poison. Or maybe a couple of Whelms in quick succession (masked by suitably distracting illusions) and then the final blow as the ambassador slumps unconscious?

I thought about Whelm, but that doesn't fit with dispatch him dramatically.

I did look at grabbing a domain via Arcane Disciple but there are few useful low level spells available by that means.

Beguiler 1 / Human Paragon 2/ Beguiler +2 would allow you to grab a 2nd level spell via Advanced Learning, at the cost of a level of spellcasting.
The best options here are probably Black Karma Curse (PH II) and Tasha's Hideous Laughter, but maybe someone else could come up with a better idea ?

Palanan
2013-12-16, 06:47 PM
I thought about Whelm, but that doesn't fit with dispatch him dramatically.

Indeed, indeed.

What I was thinking was for the beguiler to hit him with Whelm, then immediately follow up with some dramatic illusion of fire and fear, maybe hit him with Whelm again for good measure, and then finish him off somehow--either with contact poison, a knife to the unconscious throat, something.

Problem with the knife approach, now that I think about it, is that a knifey demise wouldn't mesh well with the flashy deception of magical doom. Poison is starting to look like a better approach.

Originally Posted by Toliudar
Might the most appropriate spell in this situation be "Charm Person"? ...The fall guy is perfect because they really did do it, and never saw the beguiler's real face.

This is another interesting option, but I wonder if Charm Person can really be pushed that far. It causes the target to consider you a trusted friend--but how often will someone commit murder on a moment's notice because a friend tells them to?

Toliudar
2013-12-16, 08:04 PM
This is another interesting option, but I wonder if Charm Person can really be pushed that far. It causes the target to consider you a trusted friend--but how often will someone commit murder on a moment's notice because a friend tells them to?

No no! The Charm Person is just to seal the deal. The beguiler comes with a story about how the ambassador is engaged in something horrible (you know, the kinds of things that you can't talk about on this forum), and that by killing him in a public way, the dupe is sending a message to all the other horrible-doers who are in cahoots with the ambassador. This can either have been worked out elaborately in advance, or done using information gleaned from Detect Thoughts on the dupe to target his weaknesses.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Toliudar
No no! The Charm Person is just to seal the deal. The beguiler comes with a story....

Ahh, I grok you now. Diplomance first, charm afterward.

It's...possible, given Detect Thoughts for blackmail is the most straightforward approach; but still, it involves a confederate, which is a loose end. Those can be useful for the DM, who wants the players to figure all this out somehow...but from the beguiler's perspective, it's risky, for pretty much the same reasons.

...However, a charmed person would be ideal for delivering, say, a drink with a slow-acting poison, or some other innocuous item.

And then shawarma.

:smalltongue:

sketchtb
2013-12-16, 08:54 PM
As far as poisons go, I've always been a big fan of aboleth mucus. It makes the target unable to breath air if they fail a dc19 fort save. It's technically not a poison so no chance of poisoning yourself. It's a grenade type weapon so it requires a touch attack but you could find a way of making it appear to come from the mook you want to frame. All for the low low price of 20gp. It comes savage species if you want to look it up.

Averis Vol
2013-12-16, 09:47 PM
How about a little chaos flask abuse?

Have him disguise himself as a member of the staff, preferably the one who delivers wine to the tables. When the king calls for a toast, have him make his way up there with a chaos flasked version of some wine in the bottle. Say, "Courtesy of {insert scapegoat here}" and while holding the cup, spend the free action to turn the chaos flask wine into a dose of megapede poison (DC 44 fort save or 2d6con+1d4 dex with the same secondary).

This way you've put his enemy as the source of the poisoned wine, he looked like a simple servant (and has probably ditched the disguise and walked away) and now the guards are probably holding each of the opposing court in custody.

Xintas
2013-12-17, 08:36 AM
Ok, so he has enough hit points to rule out PwP? I think at this point, you are looking at a Disguise self, Expeditious Retreat, attack target with contact poison that will kill him (mosquito's bite to taste), then case Blinding color surge in his face and run out of the building.

Your guests now see the diplomat run in, attack the guy, cast a big flashy magic spell in his face, disappear, and then the guy dies.

Is that more in keeping with the visual you want?

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 09:11 AM
You want flashy?
Beguiled 5
Feat: Mother Cyst

There are two ways to do this.

The first: prep time infect the target with a necrotic Cyst. Penalize his save as much as possible, and get a scroll of Necrotic Burst and some way to guarantee its use (DC 10). Disguise yourself as the scapegoat and be seen casting from the scroll. Fort save fails? The guy just blew up into a evil animate tumor! Now get out of Dodge!

The second: find a bunch of level 1s of the scapegoat faction and cyst all of them. Surround the target with them and do the same to them. Have giant rumors devour him alive!

Palanan
2013-12-17, 12:43 PM
I think at this point, you are looking at a Disguise self, Expeditious Retreat, attack target with contact poison that will kill him (mosquito's bite to taste), then case Blinding color surge in his face and run out of the building. ....Is that more in keeping with the visual you want?

Much closer, yes. :smalltongue:

I'm definitely thinking some blend of poison and flashiness. One element I haven't mentioned yet is a Contessa who's been scheming all evening to get the ambassador alone to herself, in some cozy, out-of-the-way cubby where the servants don't go.

Now the beguiler, through a combination of Detect Thoughts and general social attunement, will be aware of this, and might offer to help her with a "love potion" in a drink, which she will helpfully bring to the target. Once the ambassador begins feeling the effects of the not-love-potion, cue the flashy magic and a smooth departure for the beguiler. This approach very helpfully puts the Contessa right next to the ambassador when awful things happen, potentially framing her if the poison is discovered.

Aboleth mucus was mentioned above, and it's one of my favorites, but I'm looking for something a little more subtle here, something that only an investigator would be able to detect. (Aboleth mucus is great in combat, but it's one step down from a facehugger in terms of obvious.) The cost isn't as much of a concern, since the beguiler's employers will foot the bill.

So, what would be a good choice for a virulent poison, something with a slight delay in its effects?

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 02:19 PM
Much closer, yes. :smalltongue:

I'm definitely thinking some blend of poison and flashiness. One element I haven't mentioned yet is a Contessa who's been scheming all evening to get the ambassador alone to herself, in some cozy, out-of-the-way cubby where the servants don't go.

Now the beguiler, through a combination of Detect Thoughts and general social attunement, will be aware of this, and might offer to help her with a "love potion" in a drink, which she will helpfully bring to the target. Once the ambassador begins feeling the effects of the not-love-potion, cue the flashy magic and a smooth departure for the beguiler. This approach very helpfully puts the Contessa right next to the ambassador when awful things happen, potentially framing her if the poison is discovered.

Aboleth mucus was mentioned above, and it's one of my favorites, but I'm looking for something a little more subtle here, something that only an investigator would be able to detect. (Aboleth mucus is great in combat, but it's one step down from a facehugger in terms of obvious.) The cost isn't as much of a concern, since the beguiler's employers will foot the bill.

So, what would be a good choice for a virulent poison, something with a slight delay in its effects?

So wait, do you want it to be subtle or flashy? Those are kind of mutually exclusive, IMO.

Xintas
2013-12-17, 04:29 PM
Just because I don't like poison's doesn't mean you're not going to regret telling me that money is no object! :smallwink:

Pit fiend venom Injury DC 27 25 1d6 Con Death 30,000gp

Subtle at first, then straight up death with a high DC save.

Not my cup of tea (as the other thread indicated), but now it goes:
Disguise self -> Give Poison to lady -> Lady used poison on cup -> Cup becomes Posion Cup -> Lady to Target -> Lady uses Poison Cup on Target -> Target gets an upset stomach -> ??? -> Target dies horribly -> All the people accuse Lady -> Beguiler chuckles.

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 04:51 PM
Maybe it's because I love how thoroughly evil the Cyst spells are, but if you want to involve the consort...

Make it a potion of Necrotic Cyst (dirt cheap to make!), that way she is the one implicated with the cyst magic. Use concealed casting to use the scroll of Necrotic Burst and BAM! You get a REALLY flashy exploded dead guy that terrifies the entire ball! Not to mention it gives a great mini-boss/boss for the party to fight -- CR 3 is level appropriate, but if the PC's are unarmed because of their location, it could make it extremely interesting!

Palanan
2013-12-17, 05:08 PM
*stuff stuff stuff THIRTY THOUSAND GOLD PIECES*

:smalleek:

Okay, yeah. That does break the bank a little. Something in the 100-500 range is probably more reasonable. The beguiler himself is probably charging 1500-2000 for the entire job.

Originally Posted by Baroknik
So wait, do you want it to be subtle or flashy?

Originally Posted by Palanan
The beguiler needs to:

a) take out the target, and
b) dispatch him dramatically and publicly, while
c) unmistakably implicating a competing foreign power, and then
d) disappear unharmed.

The beguiler wants to give the impression of a flashy demise, while keeping his own involvement undetected, which is the subtle part.

Speaking of undetected, it also occurred to me that there should be some form of magical security at the ball. There won't be high-level mages or diviners standing around eating little sandwiches, but there should probably be a couple of reasonably competent arcane-security goons keeping their auras open.

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 05:41 PM
Okay then, not to harp on the necrotic cyst thing too much, but how about...

Consort gives a 'love potion' to the target (potion of Necrotic Cyst) (50 gp).
Tell consort that to complete the spell, the target must be touched while wearing a ring in front of his friends and family.
The ring is a custom-magic one-time use use-activated ring of Necrotic Burst (provided by the beguiler's employer) (2,250 gp).

Total cost to employer: 2,300 gp + pay

Increase the value cap and add in some metamagic (maximized burst means, even on a save any level 5 target auto-dies).

Bam! No prevention, and the beguiler can even avoid having a mother cyst!

Palanan
2013-12-17, 05:59 PM
Please, no. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this will be a cyst-free encounter.

What I'm looking for right now includes:

1. Suggestions for a reasonably priced, keenly effective toxin, especially something that might synergize with nonlethal damage from Whelm. (Not a requirement, just helpful.)

2. Ideas for magical security at the gala event, probably involving a couple of very low-level arcane casters, although I wouldn't rule out divine.

Averis Vol
2013-12-17, 06:14 PM
Please, no. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this will be a cyst-free encounter.

What I'm looking for right now includes:

1. Suggestions for a reasonably priced, keenly effective toxin, especially something that might synergize with nonlethal damage from Whelm. (Not a requirement, just helpful.)

2. Ideas for magical security at the gala event, probably involving a couple of very low-level arcane casters, although I wouldn't rule out divine.

1) like i said earlier, 150g or so for a chaos flask gets you any non magical thing you want for a dc 13 wisdom check.

2) Dispelling screen (SpC) is a low level spell, and they can be placed on the entrance points. If anyone goes through them wearing magical...well, anything, it will get dispelled via dispel magic check. there could also be a few guard dogs around who are tasked with sniffing out unfamiliar scents. lets see, Portal alarm is a 2nd level spell that tells you when someone walks through a doorway, alarm greater is like alarm but will tell you if someones coming through via another plane. Sadly, I'm not the best with casters, so my spell knowledge is limited. I feel like mundane preparations are going to be a bit more prevalent seeing as the magic level is low anyways. so things like dogs, trip wires, name checks, etc, etc....

EDIT: scratch that, dispelling screen is a 4th level spell, my bad.

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 06:34 PM
All right, I'll avoid an cysts then...

As far as poisons go, I feel like potions may give you more flash than a traditional poison. Some to consider:

Damning Darkness -- crowd sees a darkness engulf the area and after it fades nothing but dead bodies (only works if he is good aligned) (4th lvl so requires a brewmaster PrC to make)

Drown -- a slow painful death as foul liquid spills from his mouth

Grim Revenge -- the man's hand tips from his body and chokes him to death (4th level again)

Love's Pain -- this one is a bit different, give the drink to the consort, his child, or his wife.

Rotting Curse of Urfestra -- if remove curse, wish, and miracle are not available locally, this one gives him a very long death as his body rots before the crowd's eyes

Touch of Juibilex -- he turns into a green slime over 4 rounds... Pretty brutal save-or-die

Also consider an overdose of a drug...

Luhix -- DC 25 save-or-die

Dreammist tea -- DC 17 d10/d10 CON

Note that those are all BoED, largely because that's what I have handy at the moment; but also because if you want to cause an uproar, go as vile as possible, IMO.

EDIT: on the magical defense front, hiring wizards to Detect Magic should be cheap. Have one or two posted at a vantage point scanning the area and some helping with the patdowns at the door. Not highly effective, but cheap and readily available. Prevents invisibility and the like too!
If this is used, the drugs may be a great option as they aren't magical!

nedz
2013-12-17, 07:19 PM
on the magical defense front, hiring wizards to Detect Magic should be cheap. Have one or two posted at a vantage point scanning the area and some helping with the patdowns at the door. Not highly effective, but cheap and readily available. Prevents invisibility and the like too!

What about having them cast detect poison ?

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 07:21 PM
While I appreciate the blue text, the major difference is that Detect Poison has a duration of Instantaneous... It would take quite a few wands to check everything entering a party. Detect magic (theoretically) only has to be cast once per mage.

Palanan
2013-12-17, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Averis Vol
Dispelling screen (SpC) is a low level spell, and they can be placed on the entrance points.

It's an interesting idea, although as you note it's fourth level. What makes it less practical is it's only one minute/level, which would be difficult to manage with guests entering and leaving all night.

Originally Posted by Baroknik

What about having them cast detect poison ?

That's a good question--are drugs considered poisons?

I seem to recall seeing a selection of drugs somewhere in a Forgotten Realms supplement, but can't recall which one.

Baroknik
2013-12-17, 08:35 PM
It's an interesting idea, although as you note it's fourth level. What makes it less practical is it's only one minute/level, which would be difficult to manage with guests entering and leaving all night.

I seem to recall seeing a selection of drugs somewhere in a Forgotten Realms supplement, but can't recall which one.

I believe there are some listed in Lords of Darkness for FR. The two that I listed were the most potent from BoVD. There is an EXTREMELY potent one from RttToEE... Will see if I can look them up for you and add via edit.

EDIT:

RttToEE: Tanbrosh (p. 41) -- doesn't have any specifics on overdose, however if you can force a withdrawal (unlikely since it is over the course of days), the character auto-dies.

LoD: (p. 182)
Panaeolo (magical, so would show up via detect magic) -- overdose: 2d8 CHA damage (potentially useful, so listed)

That is the only relatively useful one for an assassination in LoD that isn't already listed from BoVD.

As far as "are drugs poison" goes, that is a bit ambiguous, as it states that "All drugs function like poisons" and cites their initial/secondary effects as well as neutralize poison/delay poison working. However, it never says that drugs are actually poisons, only that functionally they act like them. I really don't want this thread to de-rail into a RAW lawsuit, so I would suggest that it is the DM's final call (though I would lean towards them not being poisons, just acting in a similar fashion).

If nothing else, have it in a lead-lined pocket. Because it is an instantaneous duration, there is no way that they can do more than check each individual as a whole with the spell, and a thin sheet of lead stops the effects of detect poison, making sneaking it into the party fairly trivial.

Xintas
2013-12-18, 08:54 AM
Well, for the low low price of 10,000 gp (or it can be made for about 3k if you know a guy):

The Calling
A foul mixture of spider eggs and slime collected from an aboleth, this vicious toxin devours the victim from the inside out.
Thievery or Dungeoneering 1 hour Lvl 20 10,000 gp
Power (Consumable * Poison): Minor action. You apply the poison to an adjacent food or drink. A creature that consumes that food or drink is subject to an attack after 2d6 minutes: +23 vs. Fortitude; on a hit, the target takes ongoing 15 poison damage and -2 to Fortitude (save ends both.) A target slain by this poison erupts in a swarm of bloodweb spiders (Monster Manual pg 246) that attack the closest creature each round until destroyed.

Also, you could drug all of the magical guards with Mindfire in their drinks so they have to make a DC 15 + Spell level concentration check to cast anything.

nedz
2013-12-18, 09:55 AM

AFAIK the rules are silent on this question.

Palanan
2013-12-18, 11:12 AM
Well, for the low low price of 10,000 gp (or it can be made for about 3k if you know a guy):

The Calling

This is certainly a squickful option. Where's it from?

(Sounds vaguely like Drow of the Underdark, but I'm afpdf and can't check right now.)

AFAIK the rules are silent on this question.

Interesting, thanks. I see latitude for DM interpretation.

:smalltongue:

Xintas
2013-12-18, 12:14 PM
It is from Forgotten Realms, but I do not know which book. I just remembered the "exploding spider potion" and looked up the name (afb atm).