PDA

View Full Version : Collar of light [wonderous]

knightsaline
2007-01-16, 11:01 PM
this collar looks like a dog collar with spikes that seem to absorb light and spew it out in dark areas. on closer inspection, the spikes are not made out of metal, but some different material all together. the spikes can be detached

the Collar of light takes up the necklace slot and must be put into light in order for it to work. when taken into an area of natural darkness, the collar gives off a glow equivilent of a light spell. when a spike is detached, the spike acts like a searing light spell cast by a CL6 cleric. there are 12 spikes on a normal collar. The collar can detect undead as per the spell (it shows how many undead by glowing its spikes. if there are more than 12 or number of spikes left, the collar glows more brightly). the wearer of the collar, if able to turn undead, may greater turn undead 1/recharge (explained later)

recharging: the collar is an item powered by the sun (or equivilent) and must be recharged. as long as 1 spike is left on the collar, the wearer may recharge it by placing it in the sunlight for 1 day per spike regenerated. the spikes regenerate 1/day.

Varients. not much is known about the collar of moon, a companion piece created to vanquish lycanthropes. the collar of moon looks almost the same as a collar of light and is often mistaken as such. a DC 20 spellcraft or knowledge (arcana) or knowledge (divine) reveals that it is either a collar of light or a collar of moon. the collar of moon's spikes glow like the moon. the spikes cast sophitas silver ray when used. the collar of moon has a continious detect lycanthrope spell active. to recharge a collar of moon, it must be exposed to moonlight for 1 day per spike regenerated. the wearer, if able to turn, becomes able to turn lycanthropes.

even rarer is the collar of twilight. the collar of twilight has 24 spikes on it and acts like a collar of light and a collar of moon at the same time. to recharge this collar, it must be either exposed to the appropriate light source (light for searing ray, moonlight for sophitas silver ray) or exposed to a solar eclipse (regenerates all spikes instantly). the lucky wearer of this collar gains the ability to greater turn lycanthropes 1/recharge and greater turn undead 1/ recharge. if exposed to a solar eclipse with all 24 spikes intact, the collar absorbs enough energy to greater turn undead and lycanthropes 6 times untill depleted.

what I need is someone to tell me how to make prices for items. anyone have a formula for pricing wonderous items (I know the collar of twilight borders on artefact terratory, is there a way to price for that?)
What I also need is to know who created sophitas silver ray. I have the spell copied into my computer, but I can't remember who created it. I have a feeling that The Demented One created it.

The collar is based on a novelty human collar that has glow-in-the-dark spikes that can be detached. I got it as a christmas present and have been thinking about creating a D&D version of it

Edit: it was actually Fax Celestis (sorry if i spelt your name wrong) who created sophitas silver ray. Fax, if you don't want me to use your spell, tell me and I will remove the spell. I just needed a spell that acts like searing ray towards lycanthropes.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-18, 01:02 PM
The first one is a continuous light anddetect undead, with 12 single uses of searing light. Granting the Sun domain ability once per day (approximately) would be worth about 5,000 gp.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues

Using the guidelines, that's...

750*12 + 2,000 + 1,000 = 12,000 gp

knightsaline
2007-01-18, 11:12 PM
does the cost go up if the searing ray spikes can be recharged? the sun domain thing can only be used by clerics and paladins of a higher level, so that cuts the cost by 30%

Twisted.Fate
2007-01-19, 03:19 AM
the sun domain thing can only be used by clerics and paladins of a higher level, so that cuts the cost by 30%

No it doesn't. That only cuts the cost if the item is restricted, not the ability/spell/whatever the item is mimicking. Only certain classes get evasion - should that render the ring of evasion 30% cheaper? Hell, no. It's enabling other classes to do something they can't do normally. Just because evasion is normally a rogue [or whatever other class] ability doesn't cut the item down in price. In fact, as a DM, when making magic items, you might want to consider upping the price of any item that mimicks a tightly restricted ability, in order to make that ability more valuable to those who burned precious class levels to get it.

On the other hand, if you declare that the collar of light can only be used by good clerics, that merits a 30% price reduction, because it makes it entirely useless to anyone who isn't a good cleric.

By the way, paladins don't get domains. Ever. That's strictly a cleric feature. Paladins learn to cast like clerics, but they don't get domains.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-20, 03:13 AM
No it doesn't. That only cuts the cost if the item is restricted, not the ability/spell/whatever the item is mimicking. Only certain classes get evasion - should that render the ring of evasion 30% cheaper? Hell, no. It's enabling other classes to do something they can't do normally. Just because evasion is normally a rogue [or whatever other class] ability doesn't cut the item down in price. In fact, as a DM, when making magic items, you might want to consider upping the price of any item that mimicks a tightly restricted ability, in order to make that ability more valuable to those who burned precious class levels to get it.

On the other hand, if you declare that the collar of light can only be used by good clerics, that merits a 30% price reduction, because it makes it entirely useless to anyone who isn't a good cleric.

By the way, paladins don't get domains. Ever. That's strictly a cleric feature. Paladins learn to cast like clerics, but they don't get domains.

Actually, the Sun domain ability specifically modifies turning, that falls right under the "requires special skill or class feature to use" category. However, this was factored into the price I gave (only 5,000 gp for a domain ability).

If the studs are rechargeable and there are twelve of them, I'd just price it as though it's unlimited use. Maybe 90% of the price of unlimited use.

kensai
2007-01-20, 06:22 AM
An interesting variant of the Collar of the Moon would be one that keeps a lycanthrope safe to be around; it absorbs all moonlight, thereby preventing the curse from activating if worn by the lycanthrope at times of full moon. The moonlight could be released as a spell effect, but if this is done by the lycanthrope, or near the lycanthrope, it activates the curse. A werewolf wizard might find one like this very useful, especially with a reliable partner who uses the light outside the wizard's presence.