PDA

View Full Version : Magic armor enhancement question: Glamered Armor

Lothorus
2007-01-16, 11:12 PM
Don't worry, this is a fluff question. No need to get into a discussion on how the Armor Check affects things or how worthless the enhancement is compared to X enhancement or Y armor as an alternative.

Here's the SRD info on it, if you want to review: Glamered Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#glamered)

My question is this: Is the alternate appearance produced by the glamer effect variable? Can, for example, a user who likes to be fashionable alter the clothing appearance to suit the latest trends? Or simply have a red vest instead of a blue one from day to day?

Or is the alternate appearance set in stone at the time the enhancement is cast, and totally unchangeable? Simply a matter of flipping a switch from Armor appearance to This Specific Suit of Clothing Only And Nothing Else?

And again, this is simply a fluff question. I'm not looking to get some bonus to disguise or hide or something out of this. I'm just wondering if a character will be stuck with the same alternate appearance for ever and ever if he or she chooses this enhancement for their armor.

Thanks in advance for the help, and further thanks for not bringing up the "DUH WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUY A MITHRAL CHAIN SHIRT AND HIDE IT UNDER YOUR CLOTHES; IT'S JUST AS GOOD AND COMPLETELY SILENT" argument. It's not relevant to my concerns.

Sacrath
2007-01-17, 12:50 AM
From what I read there is no reason the enchantment is fixed. I turns it into a set of clothing. According to the equipment section for that item, the actual styles can vary. Therefore so can the armor.

Machete
2007-01-17, 01:07 AM
Sweet, off to minmax this into obscurity muahhaahha. Kidding.

I always thought it was set in stone, that could make for interesting fashion if a 500 year old glamered armor is found. (Pink and orange! What were they thinking with with all that lace! Better yet, why are the illusionary pants I am wearing buttless?)

Lothorus
2007-01-18, 01:22 AM
Now there's an interesting idea. I guess, at the DM's discretion, either way could be enforced. Whichever fit the plot (or humor) best.

But I have an additional question. Suppose you have a set of armor with the Glamer enchantment, and then get additional equipment that doesn't come standard with the gear. For example, a breastplate comes with greaves and a helmet. Then, after it was enchanted to be disguised as a regular set of clothes, the user buys some gauntlets that didn't come with the armor. Would these be affected by the Glamer enchantment? Or would the user be stuck with armor that changed everything into a regular set of clothes (in appearance) except for the two clunky metal gloves?