PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 9th level spells

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 02:53 PM
I'm not talking about the most powerful spells. Just the ones you have fun whenever you get to cast them. This can include psionic powers.

Some of mine are:

Disjunction: I know, I know, terrible right? But it feels so great to knock off all of someone's buffs and items in one shot. Why do I need your loot anyway? I'm a caster!

Shades: this spell is what the entire shadow caster class wishes it could be. I love the idea that shadows streak outward and solidify into shadowy monsters or form shadowy clouds that choke people to death.

Norin
2013-12-16, 03:20 PM
FIMBULWINTER!
...just because I love screaming the name and watch the world die in permafrost.

(yes, yes, it's lvl 8 for most classes, but whatever.)

Also, Wail of the Banshee because it brings back fond memories of taking out hordes of random citizens in BG2.

Time stop is always fun too.

Zanos
2013-12-16, 03:27 PM
Wish, because the description implies that you're actually telling reality to sit down and shut up, and if someone actually cast it themselves you know it hit the fan.

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 03:44 PM
Awaken Construct because 'Set my people free!'

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-16, 03:55 PM
Teleport Through Time, because time travel only multiplies the crazy and insane antics i can do. I'm not talking about game breaking antics, although they do break the game occasionally, i'm talking about doing stupids hilarious things because i can. Although that material component is rather hard to come by so it an occasional thing only, just in case we ever actually need to go back in time.

Snowbluff
2013-12-16, 03:57 PM
Ice Assassin, for when Simulacra aren't overpowered enough. :smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 04:03 PM
Heightened PrestidigitationLeast Wish

Time Stop can be funny

Elderand
2013-12-16, 04:06 PM
Mind rape and apocalypse from the sky.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 04:09 PM
I can honestly say I've never thought about heightening prestidigitation to 9th before.

I'm also gonna add Awaken Construct and Teleport Through Time to my list.
Hey someone's gotta active Skynet, it might as well be me. Plus someone's gotta go back in time to stop Skynet from being activated, might as well be me.

anacalgion
2013-12-16, 04:14 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

Nothing says "I win" like a horde of invisible angels.

Bonus points if you get the reference

Stegyre
2013-12-16, 04:22 PM
Genesis. What better way to feed my delusions of grandeur than my own demi-plane?

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 04:33 PM
Genesis. What better way to feed my delusions of grandeur than my own demi-plane?

I think that it's no longer a delusion if you have your own plane of existence. I think it's just legitimate grandeur.

As a DM I've always been fond of the Kissed by the Ages spell. Sometimes I need immortal npcs and they can't all be liches (or life stealers or body hoppers).

Also what's the name of that psion power that opens a hole to the negative energy plane and creates an area of negative levels? I'm a fan.

Snowbluff
2013-12-16, 04:34 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

Nothing says "I win" like a horde of invisible angels.

Not pithy enough. Your ability to cast 9th level spells has been replaces with ranks in Ride. :smalltongue:

DarthCyberWolf
2013-12-16, 04:36 PM
Iceberg is my favorite because I'm way over here, an iceberg just hit your head, and now you're buried in snow. What does it take to get out of snow again? That's right, you're screwed.

Malimar
2013-12-16, 04:44 PM
Apocalypse from the sky, hands down.

Vash9177
2013-12-16, 04:47 PM
I think that it's no longer a delusion if you have your own plane of existence. I think it's just legitimate grandeur.

As a DM I've always been fond of the Kissed by the Ages spell. Sometimes I need immortal npcs and they can't all be liches (or life stealers or body hoppers).

Also what's the name of that psion power that opens a hole to the negative energy plane and creates an area of negative levels? I'm a fan.

Stygian Conflagration from CPsi, love that power. Also Enervating Breath is pretty awesome on the right breath weapon.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-16, 04:51 PM

I would sig this, but I don't want my sig getting too big.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 05:03 PM
I would sig this, but I don't want my sig getting too big.

Thanks

Stygian Conflagration! Oh man even it's name is super cool!

My problem with Apocalypse From The Sky is that it doesn't love up to its bold claims. It's area is nice and big but it doesn't actually do enough damage to hurt mountains or even moderately reinforced buildings.

All casualties can be prevented if people just hide in their wine cellars. Duck and Cover actually can protect against this apocalypse

Krobar
2013-12-16, 05:53 PM
Gate. Because gating in a pit fiend and ordering it to grovel, scrape and demean itself while proclaiming your glory always results in good times later.

Shapechange because you can turn into a squawking, annoying parrot. Do I need to remind you all what birds like to do when they're flying overhead?

Vedhin
2013-12-16, 06:06 PM
Binding Chain of Fate.

Because I just love how it basically answers any form of escape of defense the opponent has. So what if Evocation sucks, your Transmuter/Diviner is now open to being killed by Joe the Commoner's crossbow.
That and the name is awesome.

Ionbound
2013-12-16, 06:08 PM

Do you mind if I sig this?

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 06:21 PM
Please go right ahead

Wow binding chain of fate is so cool! It's like the ultimate I'm toying with you spell

Ionbound
2013-12-16, 06:22 PM
Thank you. I play wizard a lot so this is very ego-stoking appropriate.

eggynack
2013-12-16, 06:24 PM
Iceberg is my favorite because I'm way over here, an iceberg just hit your head, and now you're buried in snow. What does it take to get out of snow again? That's right, you're screwed.
The rules for becoming un-buried are on page 90 of frostburn, under "buried in snow". I'd been using the cave-ins and collapses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#caveInsAndCollapsesCr8) rules, which are pretty much identical, but these are better. Welp, time to go back and revise the entry on call avalanche to reflect this new information. It is apparent that call avalanche is as ridiculous as I'd thought it was, and is way better than iceberg for its level. Frigging crazy mass SoL effect as a 5th level spell.

Anyways, as for the main question, it's not technically a 9th level spell, but lately I've been liking fey ring when cast at 20th level. For hours/level, at the cost of a 6th level spell, as well as 500 XP or 2,000 GP, you get a spirit of the land (MM II, 89). A spirit of the land is a fey with an absolutely massive amount of SLA's, stretching at least up to 8th level spells (haven't checked for 9th's), and they're all accessible at will. It's a massive, invisible, incorporeal being that can create a natural disaster once a round, every round, all day. It's utterly ridiculous, in other words.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 06:27 PM
Anyways, as for the main question, it's not technically a 9th level spell, but lately I've been liking fey ring when cast at 20th level. For hours/level, at the cost of a 6th level spell, as well as 500 XP or 2,000 GP, you get a spirit of the land (MM II, 89). A spirit of the land is a fey with an absolutely massive amount of SLA's, stretching at least up to 8th level spells (haven't checked for 9th's), and they're all accessible at will. It's a massive, invisible, incorporeal being that can create a natural disaster once a round, every round, all day. It's utterly ridiculous, in other words.

Hahaha I think that fits the spirit of this thread even if it doesn't fit the letter. I have to go look up this spell right now.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-16, 06:31 PM
A flash frost electric substituted born of three thunders explosive irresistible enlarged locate city. Cast using a snowball as a material component.

Alternately, substitute irresistible with twin.

Yes, this is totally unoriginal.

Anthrowhale
2013-12-16, 06:32 PM
Blinding Glory (All Evil is blind in 100'/level radius all day) and Erupt (10*caster level fire in 100'/level radius) are rare but have impressive city-scale effects.

eggynack
2013-12-16, 06:35 PM
Hahaha I think that fits the spirit of this thread even if it doesn't fit the letter. I have to go look up this spell right now.
It's hidden away hereabouts (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a). There aren't that many fey that are worth calling, but there're a few, and the spell fills a minionmancy sized gap in the druid's spell list.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 06:48 PM
It's hidden away hereabouts (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a). There aren't that many fey that are worth calling, but there're a few, and the spell fills a minionmancy sized gap in the druid's spell list.

Do you think a Spirit of the Land would be mad if I manifested Psychic Reformation on it to give it more useful feats?

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 06:53 PM
Do you think a Spirit of the Land would be mad if I manifested Psychic Reformation on it to give it more useful feats?

Did you see the errata? Though those admittedly still aren't optimized.

CombatOwl
2013-12-16, 06:54 PM
I'm not talking about the most powerful spells. Just the ones you have fun whenever you get to cast them. This can include psionic powers.

Some of mine are:

Disjunction: I know, I know, terrible right? But it feels so great to knock off all of someone's buffs and items in one shot. Why do I need your loot anyway? I'm a caster!

Shades: this spell is what the entire shadow caster class wishes it could be. I love the idea that shadows streak outward and solidify into shadowy monsters or form shadowy clouds that choke people to death.

Prismatic Sphere -- AKA "Thunderdome"

I really wish the group I was playing with would let me houserule a one-way Prismatic Sphere. "Two can enter, only one walks out..."

Vedhin
2013-12-16, 06:54 PM

No idea. The Spirit of the DM might be provoked into causing a natural disaster, however: Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-16, 06:56 PM
Errata for what?

You know how they say that Rome wasn't built in a day? Clearly the Romans didn't have spirits of the land contracting for them. I feel like I could build an amazing city into 20 hours for under 10,000 gold using Fey Ring.

eggynack
2013-12-16, 07:00 PM
You might be able to pull it off if the thing is helpful. Still, that seems pretty not worth it. Feats aren't going to make it that much better at tossing out earthquakes, solid fogs, whirlwinds, and even chain lightnings every round until everything dies. It's an infinite spell list on legs. I just don't even know what you could have it take that would be so much better, especially given that you're paying extra for additional utility on a creature that's only hanging around for a day.

Forrestfire
2013-12-16, 07:07 PM
I think my two favorite ninth-level spells are Ring of Fire and Crushing Fist of Spite.

Ring of Fire is a spell that makes the floor lava. What's not to love about that?

Vedhin
2013-12-16, 07:13 PM
I think my two favorite ninth-level spells are Ring of Fire and Crushing fist of spite.

Ring of Fire is a spell that makes the floor lava. What's not to love about that?

Where is Ring of Fire from?

unseenmage
2013-12-16, 07:16 PM
Errata for what?

You know how they say that Rome wasn't built in a day? Clearly the Romans didn't have spirits of the land contracting for them. I feel like I could build an amazing city into 20 hours for under 10,000 gold using Fey Ring.

For Spirit of the Land. MM2 is a pretty heavily errata-ed book. I just wasn't sure if your comment about it's feats being useless was based on what's printed or what they changed to.

Spirit of the Land errata feat list

Cleave*, Combat ExpertiseB, DodgeB, Great Cleave*, Improved Bull Rush*,
Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder*, Improved Trip*, Mobility, Power
Attack*B

Mind you, the most powerful trait, it's SLAs, aren't changed at all.

Eldariel
2013-12-16, 07:21 PM
Honestly? Shapechange. While it's absurdly overpowered even for a 9th level spell, I can't but enjoy being able to solve 99% of world's problems with one casting of one spell while also reaping massive personal benefits. Dragon, Giant, Angel, Devil, Beholder, Mind Flayer, Nightmare, Timebird and flea all in one! And I'm talking without using a free Wish per turn, of course.

Spell slots? With Shapechange you can actually deal with almost all encounters by just changing shape a couple of times. And that's without going into the stuff it can technically do like acquire spell lists and stuff.

Forrestfire
2013-12-16, 07:24 PM
Where is Ring of Fire from?

Ring of Fire is from Exemplars of Evil, and it makes circle of lava in the ground that expands its radius by 10ft per round. If people fall in, they take full damage for being immersed in lava :smallbiggrin:

eggynack
2013-12-16, 07:25 PM
For Spirit of the Land. MM2 is a pretty heavily errata-ed book. I just wasn't sure if your comment about it's feats being useless was based on what's printed or what they changed to.

Spirit of the Land errata feat list

Cleave*, Combat ExpertiseB, DodgeB, Great Cleave*, Improved Bull Rush*,
Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder*, Improved Trip*, Mobility, Power
Attack*B

Mind you, the most powerful trait, it's SLAs, aren't changed at all.
It doesn't look like the list was changed. I think they just changed the names of feats to reflect what they're called now. I haven't checked if the skill list is different, but I suspect that it's at least not significantly so. Anyway, as you noted, as long as the spirit of the land remains an invisible and incorporeal fey, that can use a wide range of powerful SLA's at will, and that can communicate with you telepathically from 5 miles away (seriously, holy crap), none of what they changed could possibly matter. I only wish that the spell were keyed off of something more abusable than HD.

Chronos
2013-12-16, 07:25 PM
Fey Ring can't get you a Spirit of the Land. The effect is one called Medium or smaller fey, and a SotL is Huge.

I think my favorite ninth is probably Genesis. Yeah, yeah, it's got the style points in abundance, but it also has extreme power, especially in combination with some friendly constructs made on the plane and Planar Bubble. You can do things like set the time trait of your plane to something extremely fast for oodles of action advantage, or make it Enhanced Magic for the specific sort of magic you use to apply all metamagics for free to everything, or make it Restricted Magic for only the specific sort of magic you use. Or all of those at once.

Vedhin
2013-12-16, 07:30 PM
Ring of Fire is from Exemplars of Evil, and it makes circle of lava in the ground that expands its radius by 10ft per round. If people fall in, they take full damage for being immersed in lava :smallbiggrin:

Should have known that. EoE has a lot of spells that are really awesome and useful.

eggynack
2013-12-16, 07:37 PM
Fey Ring can't get you a Spirit of the Land. The effect is one called Medium or smaller fey, and a SotL is Huge.

Crap. That is accurate. Today is a sad day for druid based minionmancy. I guess you can still get a stormrider (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) for slightly faster access to control weather, and an oread (FF, 134) for a bunch of SLA's that you could already get at the same level through SNA VI. Very sad.

Maginomicon
2013-12-16, 09:15 PM
My favorite doesn't come from its power, but its flavor:

Meet Stasis Clone

As clone, except that if the original individual is still alive, the cloned body falls immediately into stasis and does not rot.
If the original individual later dies, the soul transfers to the stasis clone, which leaves stasis and immediately begins to function as per the normal clone spell.
If multiple stasis clones exist for the same original creature when it is slain, the soul goes into the most recently created stasis clone.
I use this spell to create "Life Insurance" (http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20081128).

Akal Saris
2013-12-16, 11:15 PM
I like the one that lets you summon a short duration sphere of annihilation look-alike, because to me, that sounds awesome.

**This is also why I want to someday play an epic binder, with the vestige that lets you summon spheres of annihilation...

The Trickster
2013-12-16, 11:21 PM
Shapechange and Shades, because I love shapechanging classes/abilities, and I really like illusions.

ben-zayb
2013-12-16, 11:28 PM
Stygian Conflagration from CPsi, love that power. Also Enervating Breath is pretty awesome on the right breath weapon.

Stygian Conflagration, so much! Specially with ML boosting shenanigans.

I just love the badassery in the flavor of Replicate Casting.

I also never really noticed the beauty of Prismatic Sphere, until I accidentally left in on my Cleric Magician spell list and used it in battle (with an accompanying AMF).

Hangwind
2013-12-16, 11:40 PM
Flying Flaming Corpse, Greater

Because sometimes tea-bagging isn't enough.

Pickford
2013-12-16, 11:42 PM
Imprisonment. Nothing says "Don't screw with me." like asking a few innocuous questions about an NPC who just insulted you prior to removing them forever. That there is absolutely no way to free them besides casting Freedom exactly where it happened just produces a warm fuzzy feeling. Bonus points if you can remove the place it happened from existence.

NeoPhoenix0:

A flash frost electric substituted born of three thunders explosive irresistible enlarged locate city. Cast using a snowball as a material component.

Alternately, substitute irresistible with twin.

Yes, this is totally unoriginal.

???

I had to look this one up. Here's where it falls apart:

A flash frost spell deals an extra 2 points of cold damage per level of the spell to all targets in the area.

To the targets...hrm

Area: 10 miles/level radius circle, centered on you

Oops, no target(s), only an area, nothing to see here folks, other than a feat written such that it can have no effect, ever. (There's also that phrasing of an extra 2 points of cold damage. If it doesn't already deal damage that means there is no effect.)

Forrestfire
2013-12-16, 11:58 PM
Oops, no target(s), only an area, nothing to see here folks, other than a feat written such that it can have no effect, ever. (There's also that phrasing of an extra 2 points of cold damage. If it doesn't already deal damage that means there is no effect.)

Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Does this mean that snowcasting doesn't do anything to, say, Fireball either?

ericgrau
2013-12-17, 12:04 AM
Heightened PrestidigitationLeast Wish
I like to take light on sorcerers to combine with heighten spell. My cantrip can pierce the most powerful magical darkness!

Snowbluff
2013-12-17, 12:15 AM

The target is whoever I say it is. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_target&alpha=T)

Pickford
2013-12-17, 12:24 AM
Does this mean that snowcasting doesn't do anything to, say, Fireball either?

Given how badly it is written? Yes.

Snowbluff: Try checking the PHB page 175 on aiming a spell. That is where the only definition of target (as it pertains to spell blocks) exists.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 12:25 AM
I like to take light on sorcerers to combine with heighten spell. My cantrip can pierce the most powerful magical darkness!

Before you cast it you have to quote any one of the HUNDREDS of corny lines about light from kingdom hearts

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 12:33 AM
NeoPhoenix0:

???

I had to look this one up. Here's where it falls apart:

To the targets...hrm

Seems legit, the great thing about being unoriginal is i didn't have to do a lot of work to do it. So i didn't waste a lot of time to come up with this.

It's a shame though, it was one of my favorite flavors of cheese that i never got to taste.

gorfnab
2013-12-17, 01:11 AM
9th level Shadowcaster mystery: Black Labyrinth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) - it's a strange battlefield control or an interesting way to hold a city hostage.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 01:21 AM
9th level Shadowcaster mystery: Black Labyrinth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) - it's a strange battlefield control or an interesting way to hold a city hostage.

That's pretty cool. I want to take a city as my shadow hostage

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 01:35 AM

A small city.

Stupid WotC and their stupid not reading their own rules. Stupid long range making that stupidly big area stupidly irrelevant. Have I mention that WotC is stupid?

Woo, I typed stupid enough to make it not sound like a word to me anymore.

Drachasor
2013-12-17, 01:37 AM
Wish there was a decent 9th level Divination I could put in here.

gorfnab
2013-12-17, 01:43 AM
A small city
Notice the duration 24 hours/ 2 CL. Just cast it on a different part of the city everyday. You could also use the metashadow feat Extend Mystery to double its duration.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 01:47 AM

What about choose destiny? I think it is even persist-able.

Notice the duration 24 hours/ 2 CL. Just cast it on a different part of the city everyday. You could also use the metashadow feat Extend Mystery to double its duration.

True, I was mainly ranting. I haven't had the opportunity to rant lately, and hanging out in the dysfunction thread gives you a lot to rant about. Still, with appropriate DM hand-wavium it is an awesome mystery, and one of the reasons i like the shadowcaster.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 01:53 AM
A small city.

Stupid WotC and their stupid not reading their own rules. Stupid long range making that stupidly big area stupidly irrelevant. Have I mention that WotC is stupid?

Woo, I typed stupid enough to make it not sound like a word to me anymore.

Wow that radius is perplexingly small...

It's basically a spell made for real estate scams. You cast it on a neighborhood and drive down prices then you buy up all the cheap property then dismiss the spell.

Setra
2013-12-17, 05:13 AM
Probably Erupt.

Sure it has a long casting time but come on!

100ft radius per caster level dealing 10 damage per level, full damage to objects too, it's a friggin nuke! If only you could make it a reflex save to make it an Explosive spell, that'd be an extra 10d6 per caster level!

As an added insult to injury it can also set you on fire and heat up your armor.

D-naras
2013-12-17, 05:13 AM
But... it has a radius of 1 mile. How big is the typical DnD city anyway?

My favourite spells are Maw of Chaos and Greater Whirlwind.

The first creates an area of pain and misery that deals 1d6 per caster level with no save in a 15-ft radius and then forces a will save or dazes the targets. It does this on the round you cast it, and again at the beginning of your turn for a number of turns equal to your caster level. It's also an Abjuration, because it screams protection and negation. So to recap, a spell of the utilitarian school of Abjuration, a school used to protect and negate, gets an Area of Effect spell that deals Clxd6 untyped damage with no save and has a pretty good chance of dazing it's targets, and it also does this every round for Cl rounds.

Greater Whirlwind is the Druids version of Maw of Chaos, only much more awesome and city wrecking. As a standard action, you summon a a 20-ft wide tornado that you can move around as a move action with a speed of 60 ft. Leaving aside what it does to those that start their turn within 60-ft of the tornado, let's see what happens to the poor saps that start within the area. Anyone starting his turn inside the 20-ft wide, Clx5 feet tall tornado gets sucked in with no save for 1d10 rounds and suffer 6d6 damage per turn. Plus they can't move, attack or cast spells. Oh joy! After the 1d10 rounds end, the tornado expels them 4d6x5 feet away and 4d6x5 feet high for some extra falling damage to non flyers. You may then move your tornado over them to start this fun proccess again. Or cast another Greater Whirlwind on top of them. Plus, its a freaking tornado and does whatever you would expect a tornado to do when its created within city limits or in a forest or a cave or whatever. So, to recap, at least 1d10 rounds of helplessness and 6d6 damage per round with no save that can be repeated for the duration of the spell with no save and massive devastation included. My raptoran druid used this once. It was beatiful.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 05:29 AM

Problem is that as a mystery it functions as a spell in most respects, including how areas interact with ranges. That is, any area outside the range of the spell is cut off. so that mile radius is actually 400 ft + 40 ft per caster level, or 1200 ft at level 20. Which is significantly smaller than 1 mile.

edit: of course that is enough to get some pretty good size cities, but any metropolis is going to take days to cover properly, and the largest metropolises might be impossible to cover in a 10 day rotation. However you should be able to cover the vital areas of any major city pretty easily.

eggynack
2013-12-17, 05:30 AM
Nah, check it out. It may have a radius of one mile, but the range is only long. To quote the magic overview's section on range, "If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted."

Greater Whirlwind is the Druids version of Maw of Chaos, only much more awesome and city wrecking. As a standard action, you summon a a 20-ft wide tornado that you can move around as a move action with a speed of 60 ft. Leaving aside what it does to those that start their turn within 60-ft of the tornado, let's see what happens to the poor saps that start within the area. Anyone starting his turn inside the 20-ft wide, Clx5 feet tall tornado gets sucked in with no save for 1d10 rounds and suffer 6d6 damage per turn. Plus they can't move, attack or cast spells. Oh joy! After the 1d10 rounds end, the tornado expels them 4d6x5 feet away and 4d6x5 feet high for some extra falling damage to non flyers. You may then move your tornado over them to start this fun proccess again. Or cast another Greater Whirlwind on top of them. Plus, its a freaking tornado and does whatever you would expect a tornado to do when its created within city limits or in a forest or a cave or whatever. So, to recap, at least 1d10 rounds of helplessness and 6d6 damage per round with no save that can be repeated for the duration of the spell with no save and massive devastation included. My raptoran druid used this once. It was beatiful.
I don't get it. Is there a substantial difference between a greater whirlwind and a control winds cast at CL 15? The latter seems better in most conceivable ways. Also, druids get crazy 5th's. If I were to read some of their 5th's, like blizzard, control winds, and call avalanche, and then read their 9th's, like storm of vengeance, mass cure critical, regenerate, and antipathy, and if I had no knowledge of their actual placement, I'm sure I would get the two completely reversed.

BWR
2013-12-17, 05:32 AM
Right now it has to be "Sphere of Ultimate Destruction". Not only is the name impressive but I always liked spheres of annihilation.

Runner up would be "Sathrah's ingenious method for the recollection of dweomers and enchantments" - bascially allows you to switch 1 spell level/caster level that you have prepared.
The real kicker is the flavor text about how he died falling out of a tower, prompting students to comment he should have devised a quick method for exchanging spells rather than an ingenious one.

Zanos
2013-12-17, 05:39 AM
Foresight is pretty good.

lsfreak
2013-12-17, 05:43 AM
How has Maw of Chaos not been mentioned yet?

Problem is that as a mystery it functions as a spell in most respects, including how areas interact with ranges. That is, any area outside the range of the spell is cut off. so that mile radius is actually 400 ft + 40 ft per caster level, or 1200 ft at level 20. Which is significantly smaller than 1 mile.
Does this mean if you somehow pick up a fireball bead, you can get it to detonate for nothing because you throw it outside Long range?

D-naras
2013-12-17, 06:00 AM
Nah, check it out. It may have a radius of one mile, but the range is only long. To quote the magic overview's section on range, "If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted."

I don't get it. Is there a substantial difference between a greater whirlwind and a control winds cast at CL 15? The latter seems better in most conceivable ways. Also, druids get crazy 5th's. If I were to read some of their 5th's, like blizzard, control winds, and call avalanche, and then read their 9th's, like storm of vengeance, mass cure critical, regenerate, and antipathy, and if I had no knowledge of their actual placement, I'm sure I would get the two completely reversed.

Greater whirlwind specifys what happens when you are expelled, and doesn't require concentration to move, only a move action while the spell is in effect. Control winds, I think requires you to concentrate on the spell to alter it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can resume concetration on a spell after you stop concentrating. Also Control Winds has Fortitude: Negates, and is a lot less cleaner than Greater Whirlwind on what it actually does. Actually, the more I read Control Winds, the less I am sure on what it does.

How has Maw of Chaos not been mentioned yet?

But...

eggynack
2013-12-17, 06:16 AM
Greater whirlwind specifys what happens when you are expelled, and doesn't require concentration to move, only a move action while the spell is in effect. Control winds, I think requires you to concentrate on the spell to alter it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can resume concetration on a spell after you stop concentrating. Also Control Winds has Fortitude: Negates, and is a lot less cleaner than Greater Whirlwind on what it actually does. Actually, the more I read Control Winds, the less I am sure on what it does.

You don't really concentrate on the winds after they exist. They just kinda exist. You can't move the winds around at all, which is a disadvantage, but the area of effect is big enough that you don't really care much. Also, the area is way bigger on control winds, and it lasts longer. As for what control winds actually does, it does this stuff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#tornadoWind). Honestly, the two effects seem pretty much identical in wording, right down to what has a save and what doesn't. There are some circumstances where greater whirlwind might be better, but there are also some circumstances where control winds might be better, and when you compare a 5th level spell to a 9th, you shouldn't look at the situations where the 9th could be better, but at the situations where the 5th could be better.

Edit: Also, control winds is SR: no. Greater whirlwind is not.

MrNobody
2013-12-17, 06:20 AM
Never used it in game but always loved for the fluff: Unname, from Truemagic chapter in Tome of magic.

It's like saying: "I'm an almost epic wizard: i could kill you with a thought, desintegrate your body and/or imprison your soul... but it's not enough! So i think i'll erase your existence from history".

ZAP!

"I just wasted a 9th level spell for someone i don't even remember the name..."

Drachasor
2013-12-17, 06:57 AM
What about choose destiny? I think it is even persist-able.

Looked it up. It's decent, though the level for it seems a bit high for what it does. Might just be me though.

Foresight is pretty good.

Foresight is heavily DM dependent. Admittedly I'm playing a PF diviner so a lot of Foresight's benefit I get from level 1 -- always act on a surprise round. Been bizarrely useful having poor perception so far. DM has ruled gaze attacks and the like haven't worked because I didn't notice the enemy.

Playing a Diviner makes it painfully apparent how few good divination spells there are. And also how many such spells other schools (especially transmutation) seem to grab for themselves.

Seems to me a 9th level Divination Spell should probably be Foresight + Choose Destiny in effect. I mean, 9th level spells are crazy powerful most of the time.

Hmm, had for me to pick a favorite 9th level spell. A lot of my favorites are lower level.

Shapechange in 3.5 is superfun though. I feel like PF kind of ruined it -- odd thing about PF is the creatures you can't turn into. Outsiders for one.

ericgrau
2013-12-17, 09:57 AM
Foresight reminds me of sixth sense from the Lone Wolf book series, which was the most powerful discipline by far. Imagine a choose your own adventure book with advanced warning.

If you even play foresight as a half round to 1 round advanced warning of danger like it should be, then it should easily be 9th level. Preventing surprise danger is one of the strongest things a mage can do, which is why scrying and contingency are so major. I can see why it's 10 min/level instead of hour/level, because to get it up all day is pushing on broken. And it is worth multiple 9ths to keep it going longer.

I don't think that's a stretch that's only relying on the DM. To say "Don't step on that tile" (trapped) or "protect against grappling" (invisible ogre mage about to grab you => grease or run away or freedom of movement) is more than a fair reading of "the spell gives you a general idea of what action you might take to best protect yourself". Any DM who only gives a couple +2s isn't merely being strict, he's completely ignoring 3/4th of the spell. If a DM isn't at least giving you the roughest idea of what to do within time to make a standard action, that isn't "well, DMs vary", that's time to have a talk with your DM.

It's true that there are few good divination spells and none of them are good on their own, especially not in combat. They are for supporting other tactics & spells which is why being a Diviner is a hard way to use divination. You need to use it on scrolls, cast ahead of time, between fights, or with a good duration like foresight and then actually focus on doing something else.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 10:13 AM
Looked it up. It's decent, though the level for it seems a bit high for what it does. Might just be me though.

maybe, but it is a lovely target for DMM persist. It makes you better than a majority of luck based feats and prcs.

ngilop
2013-12-17, 10:17 AM
Never used it in game but always loved for the fluff: Unname, from Truemagic chapter in Tome of magic.

It's like saying: "I'm an almost epic wizard: i could kill you with a thought, desintegrate your body and/or imprison your soul... but it's not enough! So i think i'll erase your existence from history".

ZAP!

"I just wasted a 9th level spell for someone i don't even remember the name..."

Doesn't that then mean you never actually used the spell since person X never existed in the first place?

I have a soft spot for meteor swarm myself.. I only wish that it would have been buffed up as a 9th level spell (or moved down to 6th/7th where it belongs in its current version)

Vedhin
2013-12-17, 10:18 AM
It's true that there are few good divination spells and none of them are good on their own, especially not in combat. They are for supporting other tactics & spells which is why being a Diviner is a hard way to use divination. You need to use it on scrolls, cast ahead of time, between fights, or with a good duration like foresight and then actually focus on doing something else.

Actually, Unluck is an awesome combat Divination spell. It's like Choose Destiny, but inverted.

Vash9177
2013-12-17, 12:07 PM
Metafaculty is a divination power that is pretty crazy.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 02:45 PM
Yeah metafaculty is pretty amazing if you want to be omniscient.

When I was young and impressionable I thought that meteor swarm was cool... If I want to call meteors down on my enemies nowadays I use Bombardment.

Deox
2013-12-17, 02:56 PM
End to Strife (BoED) has to be one of my top picks.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-17, 04:26 PM
Stygian Conflagration, so much! Specially with ML boosting shenanigans.

I just love the badassery in the flavor of Replicate Casting.

I also never really noticed the beauty of Prismatic Sphere, until I accidentally left in on my Cleric Magician spell list and used it in battle (with an accompanying AMF).

Why is replicate casting not still called Alamanthar's return? Seriously, I understand their logic for removing setting-specific names from spells (before then making most settings technically interlinked via things like Sigil), but it is -1000% flavor of win. I want to have that lore in the game, it is an awesome connection to the mythic past of D&D as an institution, and it avoids the stupid whitewashing of what should otherwise be a full and rich universe.

/rant

Alright, here's a list of my picks.

As DM:
1.) Spread of savagery (BoVD): Haha, the commoners go mad and start killing each other. What are you all going to do about it? Instant moral dilemma for any characters that are into that kind of thing, and it's basically a battlefield in a bottle.

2.) Were-Doom (BoVD): Need to start a lycanthropy epidemic. Well, here's ground zero. Useful plot-wise to obfuscate how a plague got started (most players don't suspect it was a spell that starts the outbreak).

3.) Alamanthar's return/replicate casting: Throw whatever awesome a PC just used right back at them.

4.) Eternity of Torture (BoVD): Wins for my favorite spell name for today.

As Player:
1.) Hypercognition/Metafaculty: Pretty much put the kibosh on whatever mystery or unexpected plot twist the DM has up their sleeve. A player once had his cohort use these a lot to solve mysteries and otherwise gain a time advantage in a time-crunch/save the world type thing that I was running. Pretty damn effective.

2.) Frostfell: Oh, wait, it's not 9th. Heightened frostfell, then. Pretty much my favorite spell evah, and definitely better than a good bit of the other spells that constitute druid 9ths.

3.) Greater whirlwind: It's true use is as a green slime distribution machine. But the spell itself isn't half-bad. I like that it is, IIRC, programmable, which is useful, since no need to concentrate.

4.) Mass Awaken: Tree tokens plus 24 hours equals a small army of colossal animated objects. While you have to hash out with the DM how to stat them, this is the kind of utility that is hard to sniff at. Permanent, living critters that any Diplomancer worth their salt can recruit are a valuable thing, and over time, this is just some pretty potent action economy. Combine with psychic reformation to remove any problems you might have with how the DM statted them. Plus, giant talking trees!

I'm sure there are others that I just can't think of at the moment.

eggynack
2013-12-17, 04:39 PM
2.) Frostfell: Oh, wait, it's not 9th. Heightened frostfell, then. Pretty much my favorite spell evah, and definitely better than a good bit of the other spells that constitute druid 9ths.
Yeah, druid 9th's are mostly the worst. It's like they got the 5th's and 9th's reversed or something. Frostfell is sweet though. It's just one of those classic area based save and suck/save or die spells which characterizes high level druid spells to such a great extent.

3.) Greater whirlwind: It's true use is as a green slime distribution machine. But the spell itself isn't half-bad. I like that it is, IIRC, programmable, which is useful, since no need to concentrate.
Nah, I think you need to expend a move action for that onel. Anyway, as I noted above, I can't help but think that control winds is just better most of the time. there are advantages to each, but that's not the best phrase to attach to a 9th when comparing it to a 5th. You could probably even use the control winds as your green slime distribution machine, by pushing the wind in the right direction in a wide enough area.

Norin
2013-12-17, 04:43 PM

No no no, that will not allow for shouting FIMBULWINTER! upon casting your spell.

That is why it's not as good as FIMBULWINTER!
:smallredface:

Thrawn183
2013-12-17, 05:11 PM
I think my two favorite ninth-level spells are Ring of Fire and Crushing Fist of Spite.

Well, this quote from the SRD is quite a drawback: "An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma."

Considering Ring of Fire is a Conjuration (Creation) spell, I'm not sure if you can even argue it counts as anything other than mundane lava.

Draz74
2013-12-17, 06:10 PM
Shapechange, Maw of Chaos, Enervating Breath, Genesis.

Forrestfire
2013-12-17, 07:18 PM
Well, this quote from the SRD is quite a drawback: "An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma."

Considering Ring of Fire is a Conjuration (Creation) spell, I'm not sure if you can even argue it counts as anything other than mundane lava.

Yeah, and Searing Spell doesn't even do anything because it's a clause on the lava, not the immunity. :smallannoyed:

Still, it lets you go "the floor is lava" on your enemies. Style points, if nothing else.

Hopefully the DM realizes will house rule that that something with Resist Fire 1 being immune to immersion in lava is kinda silly...

Vedhin
2013-12-17, 07:22 PM
Hopefully the DM realizes will house rule that that something with Resist Fire 1Prestidigitation being immune to immersion in lava is kinda silly...

Fixed that.
This of course, just goes to prove that Prestidigitation is broken. A 0th level spell should not beat a 9th level spell.

OldTrees1
2013-12-17, 07:24 PM
Fixed that.
This of course, just goes to prove that Prestidigitation is broken. A 0th level spell should not beat a 9th level spell.

Another point for Heightened Least Wish.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 08:19 PM
Another point for Heightened Least Wish.

who cares if you are soggy all the time, at least you are immune to being immersed in lava.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-17, 08:36 PM

That's a rather moronic rule on behalf of the game. I can see resistance maybe aiding more than normal (a little), but why aren't there similar rules for exposure to acid or coldfire or something?

Realistically, immunity should count, obviously. But resistance? Resistance should allow you to close with the lava (something that is normally very painful for normal people, as the air temp near lava is brutal). But immunity to contact? That just sounds dumb. Resistance doesn't even grant immunity to mundane fires, right? While any sizable resistance will negate most normal flame sources, it's not immunity.

Gah. Well, to the houserules with thee!:smallmad:

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 08:44 PM
I was gonna post a joke about resistances to the other elements should grant you immunities to other ridiculous things but I can't. There's just nothing comparable. This is powerful, high level stupidity were dealing with here.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-17, 08:48 PM
I was gonna post a joke about resistances to the other elements should grant you immunities to other ridiculous things but I can't. There's just nothing comparable. This is powerful, high level stupidity were dealing with here.

Sonic resistance 1 grants immunity to spells with verbal components.:smallsmile:

Vedhin
2013-12-17, 08:48 PM

Can I sig this? 2nd thing you've posted this thread that people want to sig.

zeboss
2013-12-17, 08:49 PM
I once used Shapechange to kill the big undead dragon boss by flying up to him, shapechanging into a flea, crawling inside of him, and then shapechanging into a colossal squid... inside of him.

Hangwind
2013-12-17, 09:02 PM
Polymorph Any Object SHOULD be a 9th level. Mostly because my DM found out that, by RAW, I can Polymorph a mountain from the Elemental plane of earth into a pebble. I can then fly above the BBEG's castle, toss it, and cast dispel.

:smallamused:

Sith_Happens
2013-12-17, 09:03 PM
Fixed that.

How does Prestidigitation protect from lava?:smallconfused:

Vedhin
2013-12-17, 09:05 PM
How does Prestidigitation protect from lava?:smallconfused:

Prestidigitation (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707) grants fire resistance 2. Resistance to fire grants lava immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects).

Rubik
2013-12-17, 09:39 PM
Teleport Through Time, because time travel only multiplies the crazy and insane antics i can do. I'm not talking about game breaking antics, although they do break the game occasionally, i'm talking about doing stupids hilarious things because i can. Although that material component is rather hard to come by so it an occasional thing only, just in case we ever actually need to go back in time.Eschew Materials and (of course) a Spell-to-Power erudite can bypass the material component and travel back wherever, whenever.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-17, 09:55 PM
Can I sig this? 2nd thing you've posted this thread that people want to sig.

Sure go right ahead I'm just happy to contribute.

Sonic resistance 1 grants immunity to spells with verbal components.:smallsmile:

Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thrawn183
2013-12-17, 10:10 PM
That's a rather moronic rule on behalf of the game. I can see resistance maybe aiding more than normal (a little), but why aren't there similar rules for exposure to acid or coldfire or something?

Realistically, immunity should count, obviously. But resistance? Resistance should allow you to close with the lava (something that is normally very painful for normal people, as the air temp near lava is brutal). But immunity to contact? That just sounds dumb. Resistance doesn't even grant immunity to mundane fires, right? While any sizable resistance will negate most normal flame sources, it's not immunity.

Gah. Well, to the houserules with thee!:smallmad:

I've always seen a large difference between magical and mundane fire. Immersion in lava for 6 seconds does 20d6 but a fireball can do 10d6 instantly. That says to me that magical fire is more akin to being on the surface of the sun than mere lava. I've always ruled that any energy resistance provides total immunity to mundane fire and heat effects in addition to lava. I like what it allows me to do with low CR monsters in fiery environments: I get to have pillars of flame and creatures swimming in rivers of lava instead of the equivalent of a super weak oven.

You're probably right about the other elements issue.

AMFV
2013-12-17, 10:12 PM
Metafaculty would probably be my favorite, but there are so many very good choices. And then a lot of not-so-good but very flavorful choices. Depending on class and the like. Genesis is pretty sweet as well.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-17, 10:52 PM
Eschew Materials and (of course) a Spell-to-Power erudite can bypass the material component and travel back wherever, whenever.

Actually, since oil of timelessness is a material component and has a cost, none of the components can be ignored with eschew materials.

Edit: hold on, i was reading a slightly paraphrased version of the feat apparently. It could be interpreted that you only need the materials with a gp cost.

Edit2: I read the old 3.0 metamagic feat, that feat wouldn't have worked, but the up-to-date feat would. By RAW.

However since I find the material component so flavorful and I would rather not have one or two libraries thrown at me, I use the component anyway.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-18, 03:05 AM
Polymorph Any Object SHOULD be a 9th level. Mostly because my DM found out that, by RAW, I can Polymorph a mountain from the Elemental plane of earth into a pebble. I can then fly above the BBEG's castle, toss it, and cast dispel.

Was that mountain under the limit of 100 cubic feet per level?

PaO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm)

Target: One creature, or one nonmagical object of up to 100 cu. ft./level

Also, if that works, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by simply getting a pebble, and then polymorphing it into a mountain once you were over the castle.

Another thing: If the BBEG in an ECL 15 game doesn't have good air defenses, he wasn't very deserving of the title "BBEG" in the first place.

ericgrau
2013-12-18, 04:20 AM
Prestidigitation (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707) grants fire resistance 2. Resistance to fire grants lava immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects).
Actually it says it can cause dampness and dampness grants fire resistance 2. So pour a small amount of water on yourself before jumping into lava and you're good to go.

Hangwind
2013-12-18, 07:20 AM
Was that mountain under the limit of 100 cubic feet per level?

Also, if that works, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by simply getting a pebble, and then polymorphing it into a mountain once you were over the castle.

Another thing: If the BBEG in an ECL 15 game doesn't have good air defenses, he wasn't very deserving of the title "BBEG" in the first place.

Ooops.:smallredface: We were in Epic and using a ritual to boost the casters ecl, but i don't think by that much.

Vedhin
2013-12-18, 09:41 AM
Actually it says it can cause dampness and dampness grants fire resistance 2. So pour a small amount of water on yourself before jumping into lava and you're good to go.

Pouring water on something doesn't make it damp, by RAW. :smalltongue:

Pickford
2013-12-18, 11:55 AM
ericgrau:

Foresight reminds me of sixth sense from the Lone Wolf book series, which was the most powerful discipline by far. Imagine a choose your own adventure book with advanced warning.

Sixth Sense was always my first pick too. Technically Foresight is even better than you've suggested. The spell specifies that you receive warnings of impending danger and provides guidance on what action to take to avoid the danger. Well, if for example, a volcano is going to explode and there's no possible action to save yourself short of walking out of range, which may take 6 weeks, then you have to get the warning 6 weeks out. Pretty nifty eh?

Icewraith
2013-12-18, 12:49 PM
Impending danger

"Impending" danger is immediate danger. Hence, the spell grants immunity to surprise, being flat footed, and defenses, but doesn't say anything about long-term effects (there are other divination spells for those). It won't warn you about a volcano exploding unless you're in the vicinity of the volcano and it's about to explode.

DM interpretations will vary slightly, but warnings about anything more than a couple rounds out would appear to contradict "impending".

Also, even if it worked that way... if you can cast Foresight and the only way you have to get out of an exploding volcano (you don't even have to get out really, just survive) is walking, you shouldn't have lived long enough to attain 9th level spells in the first place. Also it's unlikely your DM can accurately predict the sequence of campaign events six weeks into the future when someone is slinging around 9th level spells, so the best you can hope for in terms of accuracy is a couple rounds, tops.

Anyways, in a game with less focus on immunity to effects at high levels, Wierd would have been ridiculously powerful. It may be the reason you don't find a whole lot of high level anythings that aren't immune to mind-affecting, death, and stun effects, because anything that wasn't already got permastunned by an adventuring group with Weird and killed hundreds of years ago.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 12:58 PM
I'm really partial to mindrape, but only because I like doing it to random NPCs, finding out their entire backstory, then rewriting their backstories into ones I like. I make a point of mindraping one or more commoners in every village/town/city/castle I visit, just so I have friends everywhere.

Snowbluff
2013-12-18, 01:00 PM
I'm really partial to mindrape, but only because I like doing it to random NPCs, finding out their entire backstory, then rewriting their backstories into ones I like. I make a point of mindraping one or more commoners in every village/town/city/castle I visit, just so I have friends everywhere.

Your wizard must have been the loneliest guy ever before hitting 17th level. XD

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 01:11 PM
Your wizard must have been the loneliest guy ever before hitting 17th level. XD

Spell-to-power Erudite, but yeah, kind of. Sure, he has the adventuring party, but when the entire party is evil, you're never sure if you can trust them.

You don't get to be a 17th level manifester/caster without having some psychological scars/trauma; if you were well-adjusted, you wouldn't be an adventurer in the first place, you'd be a commoner, getting mindraped.

Chronos
2013-12-18, 01:23 PM
Anyways, in a game with less focus on immunity to effects at high levels, Wierd would have been ridiculously powerful.
Nope. Compare it to, say, Wail of the Banshee. Both target as many creatures as you could need to, and both give targets a save to completely shrug off the effect. If that save fails, though, Wail of the Banshee just outright kills the targets, while Weird does nothing but stun them for a round and give them a trivial amount of Str and HP damage, unless they fail another save. The only advantage Weird has is that it lacks the [Death] and [Sonic] tags, but in return it gets the [Fear] and [Mind-Affecting] tags, which is about a wash.

Draz74
2013-12-18, 02:33 PM
Nope. Compare it to, say, Wail of the Banshee. Both target as many creatures as you could need to, and both give targets a save to completely shrug off the effect. If that save fails, though, Wail of the Banshee just outright kills the targets, while Weird does nothing but stun them for a round and give them a trivial amount of Str and HP damage, unless they fail another save. The only advantage Weird has is that it lacks the [Death] and [Sonic] tags, but in return it gets the [Fear] and [Mind-Affecting] tags, which is about a wash.

Weird also has the advantages of not involving friendly fire, and having an origin point at Medium range (while WotB is Close). But then, it's also restricted to targets within about a 15-ft radius, while WotB has a 40-ft radius.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-18, 02:55 PM
Did you say mind affecting? That is a horrible trade off. mind affecting is a very common immunity.

Elderand
2013-12-18, 03:10 PM
Other 9th I really like, at least thematicly

Maw of chaos
Abyssal army
Black blade of disaster
Heavenly host
Heallish horde
Sphere of ultimate destruction
Plague of undead

Icewraith
2013-12-18, 03:16 PM
Missed that making the will save bypasses the stun, since you don't roll the fort save at all. May be a case of accidental houserules or errata, since I remember the spell description being slightly different - however it worked out, we had the stun going off even if the target made the will save. Whoopsies.

Also... "nothing but stun them for a round"? That's still a great effect to guarantee on a failed save, especially since there's no friendly fire built in as mentioned above.

Edit: I was postulating that anything at high level had developed mind-affecting immunity as a defense against a (as it appeared at the time) guaranteed no firendly fire aoe stun. The original post acknowledged the immunity downsides of the spell.

Think of it as the characters living in a world where the spell had already selected out anything weak to it.

eggynack
2013-12-18, 03:25 PM
Also... "nothing but stun them for a round"? That's still a great effect to guarantee on a failed save, especially since there's no friendly fire built in as mentioned above.
If it requires a failed save, it's nowhere near guaranteed. Hell, the two descriptors mean that it wouldn't be guaranteed without a required save. Stunning for a round is nice, but a save or stun for a round is something you were getting off of orbs of fire five spell levels ago, or occasionally even off of daze nine spell levels ago. The only advantage that weird has is that it affects targets in an area, but you could be doing far better with area based SoL's. Hell, just read something like frostfell, which kills on a failed save, deals a ton of damage on a successful save, and has far better descriptors, and you'll see how weak save or a round of stun is.

Icewraith
2013-12-18, 03:29 PM
(snip)

Anyways, in a game with less focus on immunity to effects at high levels, Weird would have been ridiculously powerful. It may be the reason you don't find a whole lot of high level anythings that aren't immune to mind-affecting, death, and stun effects, because anything that wasn't already got permastunned by an adventuring group with Weird and killed hundreds of years ago.

Note also that as I stated above, my group was applying the stun incorrectly, which significantly increased the power of the spell.

Still it's a cool idea... you don't dredge up one guy's nightmares, you pull out everyone's worst nightmare simultaneously and hit them with it.

Chronos
2013-12-18, 08:20 PM
Now, in second edition, Weird was quite cool back then. You dredged up an image of the target's worst fear, and then the target literally had to go through combat with that thing. It took extreme amounts of DM adjudication and slowed everything at the table to a crawl, of course, so it's no surprise that it got changed, but the cool factor was undeniable.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-18, 08:46 PM
Now, in second edition, Weird was quite cool back then. You dredged up an image of the target's worst fear, and then the target literally had to go through combat with that thing. It took extreme amounts of DM adjudication and slowed everything at the table to a crawl, of course, so it's no surprise that it got changed, but the cool factor was undeniable.

*currently dredging up the old spell description for conversion and preparing to make play at my table slow to a crawl*

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-18, 08:50 PM
Tornado Blast is probably my favorite 9th level power. Using telekinesis to throw an entire room full of people around is exactly the kind of psychic I want to be.

Plus sr: no is icing on the cake.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-18, 09:13 PM
Assimilate appears on my list of favorite powers. Eat people and grow stronger? Now that is BBEG material.

(or the basis of a very bizarre/awesome character concept)

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-18, 09:27 PM
Assimilate appears on my list of favorite powers. Eat people and grow stronger? Now that is BBEG material.

(or the basis of a very bizarre/awesome character concept)

I just wish the assimilate power had some lasting effects. I hate that everything you absorb ends in an hour.

Rubik
2013-12-18, 09:27 PM

(or the basis of a very bizarre/awesome character concept)You can be round and pink and name yourself Kirby.

I just wish the assimilate power had some lasting effects. I hate that everything you absorb ends in an hour.Try using that or Fusion and Astral Seed?

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-18, 09:32 PM
I just wish the assimilate power had some lasting effects. I hate that everything you absorb ends in an hour.

Ah, but perma-buffs are some dangerous territory. I like the expiration thing. Now it's a contest, see? How many adults can my deranged slaymate-esque cute undead girl character concept eat before someone catches onto her/the hour is up? Will it be enough for her to be able to defeat the BBEG and save everyone she didn't eat save everyone?

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-18, 10:15 PM
I only looked through the first page, but one spell I REALLY like even though it's not that good:

Choose Destiny
http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/choose-destiny--3033/

DMM persist it for the lols

zeboss
2013-12-18, 10:55 PM
You don't get to be a 17th level manifester/caster without having some psychological scars/trauma; if you were well-adjusted, you wouldn't be an adventurer in the first place, you'd be a commoner, getting mindraped.

Can I sig this?

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-18, 11:32 PM
Ah, but perma-buffs are some dangerous territory. I like the expiration thing. Now it's a contest, see? How many adults can my deranged slaymate-esque cute undead girl character concept eat before someone catches onto her/the hour is up? Will it be enough for her to be able to defeat the BBEG and save everyone she didn't eat save everyone?

You are definitely right my friend. Perma-buffs are for unbalanced home brew and Barghests. Still, I'd like to build a psionic BBEG that followed the game plan of like half the DBZ villains: absorb everybody.

Elderand
2013-12-18, 11:34 PM
You are definitely right my friend. Perma-buffs are for unbalanced home brew and Barghests. Still, I'd like to build a psionic BBEG that followed the game plan of like half the DBZ villains: absorb everybody.

Fusion with astral seed suicide works for that sort of things.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-19, 12:07 AM
lol I tried to google Fusion power to check it out on the SRD. I got hundreds of results for power plants and the science behind fusion powered rectors... I'm an idiot.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 12:55 AM

This might not be impossible. So the buffs only last one hour. Know what's a thing? Chronomancy. All we need to do is engineer some instance of time travel...ooh, it's a little late for this thought experiment, but between variable time planes and teleport through time, I think we can come up with something short of epic spells.

EDIT: The same questions involving mind switch suicide chains probably apply to fusion. I've never given it enough thought to rule on it, but only because designer bodies and cherry-picking stats is pretty much TO only, as far as I'm concerned. It's amusing to think about.

I'd be more interested in if we can't mirror mephit our way into some extreme silliness.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-19, 01:01 AM
Oh man, the Inevitables aren't gonna like this...

Rubik
2013-12-19, 01:03 AM
Oh man, the Inevitables aren't gonna like this...By 9th level, I can gain enough power in thirty minutes to create and destroy entire cosmologies. I don't think inevitables would be a problem then.

TuggyNE
2013-12-19, 01:20 AM
lol I tried to google Fusion power to check it out on the SRD. I got hundreds of results for power plants and the science behind fusion powered rectors... I'm an idiot.

`site:d20srd.org` is your friend.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-19, 01:24 AM
By 9th level, I can gain enough power in thirty minutes to create and destroy entire cosmologies. I don't think inevitables would be a problem then.

Your, talking about character level 9 right? not 9th level spells?

Anyway, I'm sure it is a lot faster to destroy an entire cosmology than 30 minutes, it's the creating one that is tricky. I don't know how to do it, then again i never tried, i've always been far to focused on the destruction half, and totally apathetic about the creation half.

Forrestfire
2013-12-19, 01:31 AM
Well, you could probably do it by level 9 if you're applying enough cheese.

I'm now wondering if there's a way to go back in time far enough to create enough Genesis demiplanes to count as a cosmology in the present day.

... Or if there's a point far enough back where all there is is the Astral Plane.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-19, 01:38 AM

I'm now wondering if there's a way to go back in time far enough to create enough Genesis demiplanes to count as a cosmology in the present day.

... Or if there's a point far enough back where all there is is the Astral Plane.

Mindrape an aboleth and eschew materials. That will get you to the genesis of life on the material plane. From there you need to mindrape the Blood Queen, who is an elder evil that could probably give Cthulhu nightmares.

Edit: then you can probably go back to the genesis of time in the great wheel, which would just get you stuck in the far realm.

The real question is "Is there a time after the beginning of time where tehe astral plane exists and the others do not?"

Rubik
2013-12-19, 01:40 AM
Your, talking about character level 9 right? not 9th level spells?Yes.

Anyway, I'm sure it is a lot faster to destroy an entire cosmology than 30 minutes, it's the creating one that is tricky. I don't know how to do it, then again i never tried, i've always been far to focused on the destruction half, and totally apathetic about the creation half.Anything is doable with magic. (See the post under yours for details.)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-19, 01:42 AM

Of course, if you are stuck in the far realm, you could probably create a new cosmology. The question then is, "is this cosmology the great wheel or a different cosmology?"

Edit:

Anything is doable with magic. (See the post under yours for details.)

See my post about mindraping an aboleth and teleporting through time to the beginning of life.

Edit2: Between the spells mindrape, temporal stasis, and teleport through time; you can probably travel all the way back to and forward to the far realm.

7th son of sons
2013-12-19, 07:31 AM
I haven't used Cleric or Wizard, so those lists I know less about, but as for Druids, my all time favourite spell is Tsunami. Its the fight ender. Just throw up one of these bad boys, and watch as your foes (and several unwitting victims) are swept away.

Socratov
2013-12-19, 07:54 AM
Laeral's Crowning Touch

You basically screw over castersand turn them into comonners. It gives a -4 penalty on saving throws. Every time they cast a spell they get negative levels equal to the level of the spell cast, no save. It lasts a year and a day. Enough time to completely screw over the person in question. 24 hours after the negative levels are gained the target gets a save, if the save is successful, they lose the negative level (oh, and it's a fort save). Only downside is that Mystra can fiddle with the duration.

Edit:

While I was scouting around for fun 9th's I also found

Perinarch, Planar. It literally allows you to mess with the layout of a god's plane.

Mycontil's Last Resort makes you into a living, breating magic bomb. (each spellslot does 6-8 damage to everyone in the neighbourhood, now get a wizard with more spellsots he can do things with and you are golden)

strider24seven
2013-12-19, 08:36 AM
I would have to vote Shapechange. Because playing charades becomes that much more fun when you can swap forms every round.

Close second is Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness. Because nothing is better than giving the middle finger to dead magic zones.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-19, 01:14 PM

You can do it at 1st level with enough cheese and a little help from a Demon Lord.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 01:16 PM
You can do it at 1st level with enough cheese and a little help from a Demon Lord.

Did someone dial 1-800-PAZ-UZU4U?

(darn joke, one number too short or too long! curse you, graz'zt, and your far-reaching schemes!)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-19, 01:19 PM
Did someone dial 1-800-PAZ-UZU4U?

(darn joke, one number too short or too long! curse you, graz'zt, and your far-reaching schemes!)

Hey, it's only the wrong length for America. Over in Japan, they have phone numbers that vary from too short for us, all the way to way to long.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 01:23 PM
Hey, it's only the wrong length for America. Over in Japan, they have phone numbers that vary from too short for us, all the way to way to long.

Hahaha, EAT THAT, Graz'zt! Pazuzu wins again!

Lol, just pictured the two demon princes having some kind of warring telethons to raise money.

MAN, THE ABYSS IS AWESOME. That probably happened at one point.

Vedhin
2013-12-19, 01:42 PM
Hahaha, EAT THAT, Graz'zt! Pazuzu wins again!

Lol, just pictured the two demon princes having some kind of warring telethons to raise money.

MAN, THE ABYSS IS AWESOME. That probably happened at one point.

Given that it is infinite, there's likely a layer stocked with telemarketers.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 01:58 PM
Voice on the line:

"What was that? Yes Sir, if you corrupt the souls of everyone in your village, Orcus will make a personal appearance at your daughter's birthday party. No, no, it's his pleasure, I assure you."

"No, Ma'am, I'm afraid we are currently out of the blu-rays of season 2 of Downton Abby. Yes, I know, and Graz'zt himself is making a point of fixing this. I assure you, the Dark Prince is as much a fan as you. Mhmm. They will be back in stock by tomorrow at the latest. Can I interest you in a cursed sacrificial dagger or inescapable seduction in the meantime?"

"Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Demogorgon. Did you know that, every day, thousands of people find themselves wishing they could accomplish more in the same amount of time. If only there were a way for there to be two of me, they think. Well, we here at Umbrella Co. Demogorgon and Sons have the solution; introducing Extra Head! As seen among demonic cultists near you, Extra Head is a clean and simple way to make the most of your time."

"Glub glub sluurrrch slop squick squick. This message has been approved by Jubilex."

Aw, now I need to make a webcomic about random stuff from the Abyss, a commentary on modern life.

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 02:24 PM
*Ring*

Dun.

Dun. Dun.

Dun. Dun. Dun. Dun.

Dun-dun. Dun-dun. Dun-dun. Dun-dun.

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun

Duh-duh-daaaaa-duh-duh-dah-duh-da-daaaaaaaaaahhh!
(Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da)

This message brought to you by the church of Dagon.

*click*

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 02:26 PM
This concept is perilously close to needing a thread of its own.

Snowbluff
2013-12-19, 02:33 PM
This concept is perilously close to needing a thread of its own.
Derailment is in my portfolio.
Nah, I declare it appropriate.

AMFV
2013-12-19, 02:43 PM
"Are you angry, do you want to serve somebody more angry! Join Fraz-Urb'luu, if you think humanity's bad, if you dislike your fellow man. Fraz-Urb'luu dislikes them more."

"Does your woman not let you go fishing, hang out playing video games in your boxers, or hang out with the guys? Why not go on a crusade to kill all women? That way it'll be just us guys... This message approved by the committee to elevate Kostchtchie"

"'Local' singles not paying through, do you just wish there was a way to talk to women that were as eager to talk as you were, women that want you just for your soul, not your pocketbook, you should dial 1-900-MALC, immediately, real succubi on the line, just waiting for your call"

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 02:44 PM
Thank you for calling the Pazuzu wish support line.

If you desire a candle of invocation, chant "one"

For all other wishes, chant "two".

One? Alright, then.

If you desired a candle of invocation but experienced a disjunction, followed by a maw of chaos and storm of vengeance effect, please stay on the line. This is a known issue, and our support team is working to address it. Please do not move out of the spell effect, it will be reversed shortly.

Thank you for calling the Pazuzu wish support line. Your call is very important to us. Please hold.

AMFV
2013-12-19, 02:47 PM
Well it is clear that the Demons, being chaotic evil, would be using call centers and telemarketing, but what would Devils use, that's my question. What could be insidious and subtle enough for their brand of evil...

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 02:50 PM
The demons actually can't be bothered sitting around all day cold-calling mortals, so they subcontract that out to devils.

Edit: Or Inevitables.

Eldariel
2013-12-19, 02:52 PM
Well it is clear that the Demons, being chaotic evil, would be using call centers and telemarketing, but what would Devils use, that's my question. What could be insidious and subtle enough for their brand of evil...

Lawyers, duh.

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 02:55 PM
Come to think of it, maybe the Devils have an infinite supply of telemarketers and the Demons use door-to-door salesmen.

*knock knock*

"Who is it?"

"Landsh....er.... church of Dagon!"

"Go away!"

*knock knock*

"I told you to go away!"

"Candygram!"

Svata
2013-12-19, 02:55 PM
Derailment is in my portfolio.
Nah, I declare it appropriate.

And so it shall be done! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320837

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-19, 03:18 PM
Laeral's Crowning Touch

You basically screw over castersand turn them into comonners. It gives a -4 penalty on saving throws. Every time they cast a spell they get negative levels equal to the level of the spell cast, no save. It lasts a year and a day. Enough time to completely screw over the person in question. 24 hours after the negative levels are gained the target gets a save, if the save is successful, they lose the negative level (oh, and it's a fort save). Only downside is that Mystra can fiddle with the duration.

Mycontil's Last Resort makes you into a living, breating magic bomb. (each spellslot does 6-8 damage to everyone in the neighbourhood, now get a wizard with more spellsots he can do things with and you are golden)

Crowning touch is so nasty and flavorful (the victims hair turns silver because apparently spite is in Mystras portfolio). I just wish it wasn't so easy to slip out of it.

Last resort is such a classic way to go out. Just give your enemies a one finger salute and activate it.

Red Fel
2013-12-19, 03:25 PM
Lawyers, duh.

Dear Sir or Madam,

It has come to our attention that you have sought to spread defamatory and libelous statements about our client, Mr. Asmodeus.

Mr. Asmodeus is a fine, upstanding citizen of the Nine Hells, well respected in his terror-castle beyond the wailing hordes of the damned, and your comments associating him with such unsavory individuals as "lawyers" have caused knowing, real, and substantial harm to his reputation, resulting in damages in excess of 10,000 gold pieces, that value dependent upon the exchange rate of souls between the Outer Planes.

We therefore demand that you cease and desist all such defamation and libel, and issue a formal statement retracting such comments, within the next forty-eight hours on the Prime Material Plane. Failure to do so will result in legal action and/or the dispatch of several Cornugons to your immediate location.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Sincerely,
Screwtape, Esq.
The Law Offices of Ostyluth, Barbazu & Kyton, LLP

AMFV
2013-12-19, 03:28 PM
Dear Sir or Madam,

It has come to our attention that you have sought to spread defamatory and libelous statements about our client, Mr. Asmodeus.

Mr. Asmodeus is a fine, upstanding citizen of the Nine Hells, well respected in his terror-castle beyond the wailing hordes of the damned, and your comments associating him with such unsavory individuals as "lawyers" have caused knowing, real, and substantial harm to his reputation, resulting in damages in excess of 10,000 gold pieces, that value dependent upon the exchange rate of souls between the Outer Planes.

We therefore demand that you cease and desist all such defamation and libel, and issue a formal statement retracting such comments, within the next forty-eight hours on the Prime Material Plane. Failure to do so will result in legal action and/or the dispatch of several Cornugons to your immediate location.

Sincerely,
Screwtape, Esq.

You know, I think a game playing as infernal lawyers could actually be really really awesome if done right. I've been thinking about something along those lines for a good minute now.

ArqArturo
2013-12-19, 03:31 PM
Greater Siege of Trees (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/siegeOfTrees.html#_siege-of-trees,-greater), because nothing says pissed off Druid like the whole forest (http://youtu.be/XzugQBkUrZk) going at it against your army of mooks.

Chronos
2013-12-19, 03:41 PM
It's already canonically established that Pandemonium outsources its customer service to modrons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0646.html).

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 04:52 PM
Greater Siege of Trees (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/siegeOfTrees.html#_siege-of-trees,-greater), because nothing says pissed off Druid like the whole forest (http://youtu.be/XzugQBkUrZk) going at it against your army of mooks.

*currently backporting this spell to 3.5*

Oh, hi there. Thanks for that TOTALLY KICKASS SPELL. *electric guitar wailing* With the right CL pumping techniques, this could be some good, ol' fashioned fun.

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 06:12 PM
Druid 9ths definitely needed some help.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-19, 06:29 PM

9th level Druids just got Control Winds. I think it's everyone else who needs help

Draz74
2013-12-19, 06:59 PM

Shapechange says hi. :smallwink:

eggynack
2013-12-19, 07:07 PM
Shapechange says hi. :smallwink:
It does, and it can basically go as far as every other 9th combined if you really push it, but it's just the one spell. Wizards get a whole pile, clerics get a decent bunch, and druids just get shapechange. It's enough, but it doesn't really feel like enough.

unseenmage
2013-12-19, 07:11 PM
I've really wanted to contribute more to this thread but my most favorite spells all seem to be 6th through 8th level. :smallfrown:

I must be 9th-ing wrong.

TuggyNE
2013-12-19, 07:28 PM
Dear Sir or Madam,

Sincerely,
Screwtape, Esq.

I wish the forum had an option for reputation or something. This is gold.

ArqArturo
2013-12-19, 08:02 PM
I've really wanted to contribute more to this thread but my most favorite spells all seem to be 6th through 8th level. :smallfrown:

I must be 9th-ing wrong.

Unless you're using metamagics to get them to count as 9th level.

unseenmage
2013-12-19, 08:20 PM
Unless you're using metamagics to get them to count as 9th level.

But then I have to resist the urge to just negate the Metamagics. :smalltongue:

Krobar
2013-12-19, 08:46 PM
You know, I think a game playing as infernal lawyers could actually be really really awesome if done right. I've been thinking about something along those lines for a good minute now.

I once ran an adventure where the party had to go to Dis to retrieve some magic statuette. I made them apply for "Adventurer Licenses" through the city. That in and of itself took two solid sessions due to the many layers of bureaucracy, rules, codes, deadlines they would inevitably miss... they really hated me for that bit of fun.

They eventually bought a municipal code book detailing licensing and all kinds of other stuff, spent a few game days reading it and figuring it all out, and still managed to miss deadlines.

There's nothing like an infernal bureaucracy to frustrate mortals.

ArqArturo
2013-12-19, 09:57 PM
I once ran an adventure where the party had to go to Dis to retrieve some magic statuette. I made them apply for "Adventurer Licenses" through the city. That in and of itself took two solid sessions due to the many layers of bureaucracy, rules, codes, deadlines they would inevitably miss... they really hated me for that bit of fun.

They eventually bought a municipal code book detailing licensing and all kinds of other stuff, spent a few game days reading it and figuring it all out, and still managed to miss deadlines.

There's nothing like an infernal bureaucracy to frustrate mortals.

And then there's the worst thing devils can do: poetry.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-19, 10:28 PM

I must be 9th-ing wrong.

Same here. There aren't many 9th level spells, and they tend not to be very good.

Did we mention Apocalypse from the Sky yet? I think we did, but I can't be bothered to check.

"Oh... you must have been using the W-38 edition of the Municipal Code Handbook when you wrote your application. They updated the adventuring licenses section in W-39. Please fill out a new form according to the new W-39 procedures, and keep an eye out for further updated versions. We apologize for the inconvenience."

WhamBamSam
2013-12-19, 11:00 PM
It does, and it can basically go as far as every other 9th combined if you really push it, but it's just the one spell. Wizards get a whole pile, clerics get a decent bunch, and druids just get shapechange. It's enough, but it doesn't really feel like enough.Nightbringer Initiate adds Gate along with a bit of other summoning stuff and the Inflict line at lower levels, though it requires non-Good alignment, which means losing out on all the nice Exalted Druid stuff, so it's suboptimal until very high end play. Sort of odd really, that being Exalted Good is more immediately rewarding than being Evil, but there you go.

Raven777
2013-12-19, 11:02 PM
Shades, full stop.

There's something amazing about being able to exclaim "Peace out" and whip up and phase to a demiplane with a standard action. Never mind what happens when others try to follow you there and succeed the disbelieve save.

eggynack
2013-12-19, 11:08 PM
Nightbringer Initiate adds Gate along with a bit of other summoning stuff and the Inflict line at lower levels, though it requires non-Good alignment, which means losing out on all the nice Exalted Druid stuff, so it's suboptimal until very high end play. Sort of odd really, that being Exalted Good is more immediately rewarding than being Evil, but there you go.
You can also kinda pick up gate moonspeaker style. Also on the evil end of the spectrum, you get death by thorns, which is probably superior to constricting chains. Exalted druid stuff is so sweet though.

Edit: Actually, both gates are limited. Druids get weird limited gates.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-19, 11:18 PM
A druid with astral projection via Seeker of the Misty Isle's Travel Domain was an interesting thing in one campaign I was in. Certainly opened up travel options.

Aliek
2013-12-20, 12:23 AM
There's just something about Tsunami I like. Sub-optimal, for sure. But in most ways, it's like a Druid's maw of chaos! Too bad it's hella expensive.

AstralFire
2013-12-20, 12:40 AM
What is Ring of Fire from? I assume you don't mean the maneuver.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-20, 01:02 AM
Are we including maneuvers? I started this thread so I'm gonna say maneuvers are welcome to this discussion.

As far as maneuvers go I gotta say I love Time Stands Still. I know it just lets you stab someone more, but it really is a serious amount of stabbing.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-20, 01:02 AM
What is Ring of Fire from? I assume you don't mean the maneuver.

Exemplars of Evil.

WhamBamSam
2013-12-20, 01:48 AM
Are we including maneuvers? I started this thread so I'm gonna say maneuvers are welcome to this discussion.

As far as maneuvers go I gotta say I love Time Stands Still. I know it just lets you stab someone more, but it really is a serious amount of stabbing.I really, really love Tornado Throw. Especially if you can get it and also be or turn into something like a Mercury Dragon to get a crazy fly speed for more throws with higher trip checks.

Vedhin
2013-12-20, 09:14 AM
"FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!"

Because you must shout the full name of this maneuver when using it.

Eldariel
2013-12-20, 09:39 AM
I have to say, I'm partial to War Master's Charge. Combine that with Leading the Charge and you've got one brutal charge at your fingertips. Hell, you can take a bunch of level 1 Commoners/Warriors and at least for a moment, forge them into a threat.

Pickford
2013-12-20, 10:25 AM

A mountain is actually many objects, so by RAW you can't do that.

You could, however, by RAW, take the pebble and polymorph it into a mountain. (well, 2000 cubic feet at 20th anyway)

Vedhin
2013-12-20, 10:32 AM
A mountain is actually many objects

Excuse me Mr. Pickford? Some dwarves are here to see you. They're accusing you of "heresy, blasphemy, travesty, abomination, slander, fraud, deceit..." against the "bones of the earth".

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-20, 02:24 PM
A mountain is actually many objects, so by RAW you can't do that.

You could, however, by RAW, take the pebble and polymorph it into a mountain. (well, 2000 cubic feet at 20th anyway)

Oh that's nothing. Do you know how big a black hole is?

Slipperychicken
2013-12-20, 02:30 PM

The volume limit is on the spell's target, not the new form.

Setra
2013-12-20, 02:47 PM
As far as Maneuvers go I'm a fan of Strike of Righteous Vitality, sure Heal is only a 6th level spell but you can do it all day.

I just like to think of it as 'I'm too awesome to die!', combine with Immortal Fortitude for more awesomeness.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-20, 02:59 PM
Mountain Tombstone Strike. Why? Cause I can stick it on every boss monster that can meet the implied HD requirement and spare a feat on it. No pre-req 9th level maneuver. Solid gold in my DM arsenal. Also, because those maneuver-granting items are a thing. 2d6 Con Damage on a dragon is just fun.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-20, 03:06 PM
As far as Maneuvers go I'm a fan of Strike of Righteous Vitality, sure Heal is only a 6th level spell but you can do it all day.

I just like to think of it as 'I'm too awesome to die!', combine with Immortal Fortitude for more awesomeness.

FIGHTING SPIRIT!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMIEKfFk3qM) :smallfurious: