PDA

View Full Version : [PF] So I want to take over the kingdom.

Rogue Shadows
2013-12-16, 04:38 PM
Fairly soon, I may start playing Pathfinder with a new group, in addition to the DM'ing I'm doing with my current one. This is good 'cause it's been forever since I could play D&D as a player (I almost always DM, and when we switch to other GM's its because we're playing something else, like Spycraft).

Simultaneously, I have been reading an awful lot of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories lately.

Combine these two things, and...well, I've gotten it in my head now that I want to play a character with a goal of taking over whatever kingdom he finds himself in.

Much has been lost, but this is what is known:
- We can only use the following books: Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Equipment, and presumably Ultimate Campaign

- I can't be a gunslinger ("lame," according to the DM, and also doesn't fit the flavor. This makes me sad, as I've been wanting to play a gunslinger) or a summoner ("broken." But wizard and cleric and sorcerer, etc., are all allowed. You can figure that one out).

- Starting level 1. So apparently I'm going to have to work for a bit.

- As far as I know, everyone in the party and the DM are all fairly new to the game, so I am unlikely to need to optimize.

Looking over my options, I'm kind of favoring starting as an ifrit sorcerer with the Wishcrafter archetype, and probably either the Efreeti or Fire Elemental bloodline. I know it's not completely ideal for this purpose, but I'd still like to give it a go, though I'm willing to drop the Wishcrafter archetype and just be a sorcerer, as well as change the race around to something else if'n necessary.

Other than that, I don't know much about the campaign yet, as it might not even happen, depending on if we can all find a day of the week we have available. I don't even know if it'll be set in Golarion or not. Still, I'd like to know your thoughts: what would it take for a sorcerer to take over a kingdom?

holywhippet
2013-12-16, 04:48 PM
Kind of depends on the kingdom. If it's being ruled by the iron fist of a tyrant you will probably need to lead a rebellion and defeat the tyrant heroically. If it is a hereditary monarchy you can either marry into the family and arrange accidents for the ruler and everyone in the line of succession above you or take over via military force. If the kingdom has democracy you'll need to gain support and get elected.

Basically it depends if you want to follow a good or evil route. For the tyrant example, you could alternately become their favorite somehow and thus be the next in line if they die or retire.