PDA

View Full Version : Arachnomancer/monk? tier be wierd

CyberThread
2013-12-16, 05:33 PM
Arachnomancer (Monk capitalizing on poison) +1

So I know the tier prc system is not perfect but still....

Requirements
Alignment: Any evil
Base Save Bonus: Fortitude +4.
Spells: Able to cast spider climb, summon swarm, and web as
arcane spells.

Poison Touch (Ex): The arachnomancer can secrete poison as a free action. When he first gains this ability at 3rd level, his touch deals 1d4 points of Strength damage. The damage increases to 1d6 points at 6th level and to 1d8 points at 9th level. In each case, a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + arachnomancer level + arachnomancer's Con modifier) halves the damage, to a minimum of 1 point. The arachnomancer's poison cannot be harvested or saved for any purpose.

Now I understand, monk magic builds, but this still seems like a weird stretch for a monk to focus on, or am I just being whiny?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-16, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing the idea is to capitalize on flurrying with Poison touch, since more saves vs poison means more chances for the enemy to roll a nat 1. Othen than that the pre-requisites are fairly straight forward, Monk 2/Wizard 3 cover them quite nicely. Then you can go into other monk-wiz hybrids like Enlighted Fist or something, just remember you can only loose one more CL if you still want to get 9th level spells before going Epic.

Thiyr
2013-12-16, 05:46 PM
...If the rulestext provided is accurate, then you don't even need them to roll a one. That's brutal, 'cause that's just a fort for half damage, min 1. Even if it never breaks a d4, that's 1-2 str damage on average per hit. It also doesn't specify that you need to do damage (as you do str damage on a touch, and it doesn't specify touch or injury poison). I can definitely think of ways to make that work.

CyberThread
2013-12-16, 07:19 PM
Thri Keen, Monk Wizard, flurry build?

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-16, 07:43 PM
It's decent until everything ends up with Poison Immunity.

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/ Martial Monk 2 (for the tasty weapon supremacy)/ Fighter 2/ Factotum 1/ Arachnomancer 3.

Take Snap Kick and Improved Two Weapon Fighting. Jamming the spells in there is a bit more difficult but is doable. Two levels of Magic Mantle Ardent with Praticed Manifester and the spells picked up via Psychic Chiguery and an StP Erudite is pretty close to the best you can get on that.

Which brings everything online at ECL 11 and with fractional BAB gives you an BAB of around +9/+4. Two more levels of full AB classes (such as Fighter) gets you up to +11/+6/+1.

That gives you a full attack routine of +11/+6/+1. Then you throw on TWF+Improved TWF for a routine of +9/+9/+6/-1. Now throw on Flurry for +7/+7/+7/+4/-3. Now throw on Snap Kick for +5/+5/+5/+5/+2/-5.

Use Cunning Insight to bring your AB back up to something respectable and probably use a Persistent Wraithstrike so that you are hitting touch AC.

24 Int with Cunning Insight and 20 Dex + Weapon Finesse makes that an attack routine of +17/+17/+17/+17/+14/+7. Figure that the +17's hit and you are looking at anywhere from 4 to 8 points of Strength damage every time you attack. That can add up rapidly.

Get up to the 1d8 and you are looking at 4 to 32 Strength Damage.

I might have messed up the attack routine as I was working pretty much from memory.

Not exactly nasty nasty but still decent enough.

Thiyr
2013-12-16, 09:44 PM
snip

Something I've realized recently: Why bother with persistent wraithstrike in this situation? The build is obviously geared to a lot of hits, but not about the actual physical damage (as I mentioned earlier). Find a way to sneak in stormguard warrior. Less resource intensive to pull off, less likely to set off the lactose-intolerant on its own merits, and can greatly boost standard damage output if needed for whatever reason. replace the fighter with warblade for easier access, and you're set, plus you've got at least something to do when you run into Joe Poison Immune.

CyberThread
2013-12-17, 02:40 AM
venomfire?

Unlike other classes, this has nothing against you, if you redeem yourself and turn good....

So add in Ice Touch Feat?

Convince your DM that you still need to be useful late game, and make you a custom magic item that lets your posion affect creatures immune to posion.