PDA

View Full Version : checking a notion

Dimers
2013-12-16, 05:51 PM
What would be the effects of allowing a character to take a MC powerswap feat without an entry MC feat? E.g. spending a feat to swap in a rogue power without first taking Sneak Of Shadows? Still just one multiclassing per character other than base bards, of course.

The intent is to make MC less of a feat tax. I know there's a Dragon article that presents a whole new paradigm for that, but it seems to go farther than I want.

This change doesn't seem like a big deal to me one way or the other, but ... well ... I have been known to miss the obvious at times.

Calen
2013-12-16, 05:56 PM
A rough guess but I would say it is no different than if the player was a half-elf with the Dilettante feat… With no to little class and feat support it won't be that big a deal.

allonym
2013-12-16, 06:12 PM
If people are playing optimally, you may see a handful of extremely strong powers powerswapped for on most characters.

You may also, especially if people know what they are doing but aren't optimising for pure effectiveness, see some more interesting powerswaps take place that usually get avoided because the entry feats for those classes are so bad (for instance - Fighter has one of the best entry feats in the game, and also some of the best powers to swap for, which is why it is multiclassed into so much. Cleric, however, has some pretty lacklustre entry feats, so it rarely gets multiclassed into much.). It would also mean that weaknesses in the party could be easier to fix.

I remember a while ago reading of an idea someone had to reduce the feat intensity of multiclassing, but they did it by merging the three 'x Power' feats - if you took the Powerswap feat, you could swap up to one encounter power, one daily power, and one utility power. This particularly takes the sting out of powerswapping for Dailies (and makes Paragon Multiclassing slightly more attractive). Could be worth consideration.

Kurald Galain
2013-12-16, 07:13 PM
What would be the effects of allowing a character to take a MC powerswap feat without an entry MC feat? E.g. spending a feat to swap in a rogue power without first taking Sneak Of Shadows?
Given how few people actually use those power swap feats, I think this is not a big deal. I'd suggest that the character still needs the prerequisites for Sneak of Shadows though (i.e. dex 13).

If the whole party starts taking the same power (e.g. Wrath of the Gods or something) then that's probably a power you should nerf or ban :smallamused:

tcrudisi
2013-12-16, 09:58 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Where you need to be careful, though, is deciding how you are going to handle multiples.

If I am a player, can I powerswap an encounter power from a Fighter, then powerswap a daily from Barbarian?

If I have MC'ed Runepriest, am I required to powerswap from Runepriest, or can I powerswap from Cleric?

RealCheese
2013-12-16, 10:14 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Where you need to be careful, though, is deciding how you are going to handle multiples.

If I am a player, can I powerswap an encounter power from a Fighter, then powerswap a daily from Barbarian?

If I have MC'ed Runepriest, am I required to powerswap from Runepriest, or can I powerswap from Cleric? He says in the starting post, still only one mc class allowed.

incandescent
2013-12-17, 05:55 AM
I like this idea because some intro MC feats really do suck. I'm the one that likes to powerswap for interesting powers (90% of the time low level utilities) and a straight trade would be nice. I'd even advocate removing the level restriction so a level 2 character could have a familiar and already have swapped for familiar harrier as an example.

Tegu8788
2013-12-17, 08:25 AM
In a game I'm running, I'm giving powerswap feats for free for the one MC class they have, or between essential and core classes. I have one player who really wanted a Druid power as a Bard, and considering the feat doesn't grant you an extra power or ability, just a larger pool to choose from, I think its fair.