PDA

View Full Version : Generic template for Half-Breeds (PEACH)

TheFamilarRaven
2013-12-16, 06:35 PM
Ok, so I've been thinking up a way to create a half-breed template that combines the racial abilities. And I'm not talking human exclusive, like half-elves and half-orcs (and other various halfbreeds), I am aiming for a universal template that combines the statistics of any Humanoid, or monstrous humanoid. But it may even extend to Giant and goblinoids.

Let me first start off by saying, if there IS something like this already, PLEASE let me know. But without further ado, Here's what I got so far.

Half-Breed
A Half-Breed is a template that can be applied to any Humanoid, or Monstrous Humanoid.

The name of the half-breed is typically dependent of the culture, for instance, in human lands, a human-elf half-breed would be called half-elf, while in elven lands, they would be called half-human, although this varies. In some cases, it is just simpler to say half-breed, rather than half-dwarf half-halfling.

In many cases, half-breeds cause lot of problems. They typically don't fit in well within their place of birth, causing many half-breed to become outcasts. Although this leads to many half-breeds becoming adventurers, since they have no real place to call home.
Often times, mothers have difficulty giving birth, particularity if the father is a larger size category than the mother. Complication like this typically results in both the death of both the child and the mother, without the proper healing magic or material.
In order to safely deliver a half-breed that is one size category larger than the mother, it requires a DC 20 heal check, but keeping the mother alive require a DC 25 heal check. If no check is made or the checks fail, the both the mother and child must succeed a DC 20 fortitude save or perish. In either case, the Cure Serious Wounds negates the need for a heal check.

Half-Breed is a template that is acquired at birth. In order to create a half-breed, you must start with either a humanoid or a monstrous humanoid, referred to hereafter as the [/i]base creature[/i]. Next, choose another creature. The new creature must be either a humanoid, or monstrous humanoid, and may not be the same creature as the base creature. This new creature will be hereafter referred to as the heritage creature. The base and heritage creature may not be more than one size category apart.

Half-breeds typically resemble the base creature in terms of appearance, with obvious clues about their heritage. Although exceptions abound.

Half-breeds are usually just one generation of a family tree. If a half-breed procreates with another creature, their offspring will be a full blooded descendant of the other creature. For instance, if human-elf half-breed mates with a dwarf, the result will be a dwarf. The exception is of course when two half-breeds mate. If they are the exact same half-breed, i.e human-elf half-breed (or elf-human), then the result is another human-elf half-breed. If they are two different half-breeds, then take the base creature of both parents. One of these is now the base creature, while the other is now the heritage creature.

Half-Breeds have their statistics altered in the following ways:

-A half-breed retains the same type as the base creature. The half-breed gains any sub-type that the base or heritage creature may have. They are treated as both the base and heritage creature for the purpose of spells and effects that pertain to those creatures. For instance, a orc-elf half-breed is treated as both an orc, and an elf.

-A half-breed is typically the average between the base and the heritage creature's height and weight. If the base and the heritage creature are 1 size categories apart, the half-breed must be the same size as the larger creature.

-A Half-breed gains the base creature's racial hitdice (if any) divided by two (rounded down), plus the racial hitdice of the heritage creature (if any) divided by two (rounded down).

-A half-breed receives the same bonuses and penalties to ability scores (if any) as both the base and heritage creatures, divided by two (rounded down). For example, a half-dwarf half elf would receive +1 to DEX, and -1 to CHA, but the penalty to CON from the elven side is negated by the bonus to CON from the Dwarven side.

-A half-breed received any racial bonus or penalty, (if any) to skills (including the human's +4 at first level) divided by 2 (rounded down).

-The Half-breed gains low-light vision if either the base or the heritage creature have lowlight vision. The half-breed receives darkvison if either the base or the heritage creature has darkvision. However, the half-breed only receives the average between the base and the heritage creature's darkvision. For example, if the base creature of a half-breed has darkvision of 120ft, and the heritage has darkvision of 60ft, than the half-breed has darkvision of 90ft.

-The half-breed does not receive any racial bonus feats (if any) from either the base, or the heritage creature.* However, a half-breed meets the prerequisite of any feat that requires either the base, or the heritage creature, provided that the feat does not augment something the half-breed does not have, such as a harpy's song.

-A half-breed receives the racial combat bonuses (if any) from both the base, and the heritage creature, divided by 2 (rounded down). For example, a half-gnome would receive a +2 Dodge bonus to AC vs Giants, but a half-halfling would not receive a +1 bonus when using throwing weapons.

-A half-breed receives the racial resistances to spells (if any) of both the base and the heritage creature, divided by two (rounded down)

-A half breed receives the average (rounded down) between the base and the heritage creature in natural armor (if any).

-If either the base or the heritage creature have natural weapons, the half-breed gains those as well. However, the natural weapons are treated a one size category smaller, unless both the base and the heritage creature have the same size natural weapons. If the either base or the heritage creature creature have the same natural weapon, but different sizes, the half-breed receive the natural weapons of the larger size, but one size category smaller.

-A Half-breed does not gain wings unless both the base creature and the heritage creature have them. The flight speed in the case is the average between the base and the heritage creature, and the half-breed gains the better of the two in maneuverability. The half-breed gains the average of the base and the heritage creature in supernatural flight speed (if any), with the better of the two in maneuverability.

-A half-breed gains any other speed (burrow, swim) that the base or the heritage creature may have. The speed is the average between the base and the heritage creature.

-A half-breed may choose one special ability (item not listed above), from either the base or the heritage creature. The half-breed now has that ability. Example abilities include an elf's immunity to sleep magic, or a gnome's list of spell-like abilities, or an elf's entitlement to a search check when passing within 5ft of a secret door.

*You may select a racial bonus feat in place of a special ability.

-A half-breed may not advance in base class levels that require the creature to be the base or the heritage creature. For instance, a half-minotaur may not advance levels in the minotaur class (from savage species). However, a half-breed meets the racial qualifications for any prestige class that requires the creature to be either the base or the heritage creature, such as the Halfling Outrider.

-A half-breed's level adjustment is the average between the base and the heritage creatures' level adjustment. However, a DM has the final say in the level adjustment of a creature. If a player creates a half-breed, they should speak with their DM to decide if the created half-breed's level adjustment is appropriate.

DM note, for this to flow seamlessly into a campaign setting, it is recommended that the names of creatures be changed, because half-halfling sounds silly.

That's all I can think of right not, please comment and give constructive feedback. Thanks!

Xuldarinar
2013-12-17, 05:18 AM
Not a bad approach thus far. It seems somewhat balanced but I haven't done testing as of yet. I've done something like this previously, which I believe to be one of my best homebrews, the latest thread for which is in my signature and in the following link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308375), the original being in this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276074). I do not wish to discourage you, however, from your own attempt. Its a wonderful concept and each version for it will have its ups and downs. Best of luck and feel free to look to others for help in refinement and for finding inspiration.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-12-17, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the input, after reading over yours I forgot to add type (and sub types) and LA entries :smallredface:. I'm glad you think I did decent job with this, it's not often I post something that doesn't have something horribly wrong with it that I overlooked.

Edit: And flight, I'll have to think of something for that too