PDA

View Full Version : Master Craftsman [NPC PrC]

The Demented One
2007-01-17, 12:26 AM
Master Craftsman

They aren’t heroes. They aren’t adventurers. No, Master Craftsmen are far more important than that. Master Craftsmen are paragons of artifice, skilled smithies and bowyers whose goods have saved the life of many an adventurer. Most masters are fairly wealthy, as they learn how to craft items both faster and more cheaply without losing quality, but they tend not to reduce their prices, letting them make a hefty profit. Most Master Craftsmen hold a high position in a trade or mercantile guild, further increasing their economic power. No badge or emblem is needed to distinguish one as a Master Craftsmen–anyone who see’s a master’s goods can tell they are worked with an immensely experienced wright.

d6 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Master Craftsman, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Skill Focus (Craft)
Skills: Craft (Any) 10 ranks
Special: You must craft a masterwork item, and show it to another Master Craftsman. If he is satisfied with it, he will claim it as payment, and begin teaching you the art of the Master Craftsmen. Once you have trained under him for a week, you may then take a level in this class.

The Master Craftsman’s class skills are Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Open Lock (Int), and Profession (Wis).

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0
|
+2
|
+0
|
+0
|Skilled Wright

2nd|
+1
|
+3
|
+0
|
+0
|Steady Hands

3rd|
+2
|
+3
|
+1
|
+1
|Efficient Production

4th|
+3
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Master’s Craft

5th|
+3
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Craft Magic Item[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Master Craftsman prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Skilled Wright (Ex)
At 1st level, you gain a competence bonus on Craft checks equal to twice your class level. In addition, you do not take penalties for using improvised artisan’s tools. These bonuses does not apply to untrained Craft checks.

Steady Hands (Ex)
At 2nd level, whenever you fail a Craft check to make an item by 5 or more, you may immediately make a reroll against the same DC. If the reroll is successful, you do not make any further progress on the item, but no raw materials are ruined. Because of this, you may take 20 on Craft checks, though doing so increases the time required to make the check to 20 days, rather than a week.

Efficient Production (Ex)
At 3rd level, the crafting time of items you create is halved. If you take 20 on a Craft check, then this reduction does not apply to that crafting time.

Master’s Craft (Ex)
At 4th level, the crafting price of items you create is halved.

Craft Magic Item (Su)
At 5th level, you may choose one type of magical item. You may, though sheer force of will, forge magic items of that type. The type of item you choose depends on which Craft skills you have access to. You must have at least 15 ranks in the Craft skill corresponding to an item type in order to choose it. If you choose wondrous items or magic weapons, you must choose a further subtype of items which you are limited to. It is up to the DM to determine if a given item fits within the subtype. Rings, wands, scrolls, rods, and staves cannot be created with this ability.

{table=head]Item Type|Subtype|Craft Skill
Magic Armor and Shields|–|Armorsmithing
Magic Weapons|Melee Weapons|Weaponsmithing
Magic Weapons|Ranged Weapons|Bowmaking
Potions|–|Alchemy
Wondrous Items|Books/Tomes|Bookbinding
Wondrous Items|Boots/Shoes|Cobbling
Wondrous Items|Bottles/Glass Objects|Glassblowing
Wondrous Items|Jewelry/Metal Objects|Metalworking
Wondrous Items|Vestments/Cloth Objects|Leatherworking
Wondrous Items|Wooden Objects|Woodworking[/table]

When crafting magic items in this way, it works just as normal, except that you may ignore the item creation feat requirements and spell requirements. However, for every spell requirement you ignore, you must make a Craft check, DC 20 + the spell’s level, at the end of the crafting process. If any of the checks are unsuccessful, the process is ruined and you must begin again. You cannot take 20 or reroll failures on these checks with the Steady Hands ability. You cannot create items with a value of 15,000 gp or greater with this ability.

Machete
2007-01-17, 12:56 AM
I don't see why the master craftsman gets disable device and open lock. Disable device maaaybe, but open lock is way too much of a stretch. Also, why so few skill points?

Other than that, I'm drooling at this.

Ali
2007-01-17, 04:27 PM
This is very cool in my opinion, but like Machete said; it needs more skill points.

Iituem
2007-01-17, 04:58 PM
I'd say you can afford to give him 6+Int skill points per level and about 7 more class skills. Also, this is a brilliant class! Permission to include it (properly attributed) in a guide I'm doing?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-17, 05:04 PM
Open Lock makes sense: he's a craftsman, and that involves crafting locks. That means he's got to know how to make and open them, as well as occasionally saving the one person who gets locked out.

The Demented One
2007-01-22, 07:07 PM
Open Lock makes sense: he's a craftsman, and that involves crafting locks. That means he's got to know how to make and open them, as well as occasionally saving the one person who gets locked out.
Yeah, that was basically the rational behind it.

zachol
2007-01-22, 08:25 PM
I'd personally say they may choose 10 class skills and get 6+Int skills, like experts.
If they don't choose craft... um... that'd be sort of dumb, I guess, but I think trying to specifically include craft among the skills would be more confusing.

Otherwise, amusing!
I have not seen a PrC for NPCs before.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-15, 08:35 PM
Uhh, sorry for the true res, here, but what's the HD for this guy?

The Demented One
2007-04-15, 08:47 PM
Thanks for pointing that out.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-15, 08:50 PM
No problem. I'm a bit surprised nobody else noticed that.