PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Suggestions for BBEG Build

Thurbane
2013-12-16, 10:08 PM
Hey all,

For an upcoming campaign, I want to have a BBEG (or sub-boss) who is a humanoid, but with bizarre shapechanging abilities.

I haven't decided on level yet, but say around CR9 to CR 12 or so.

I'd like for him to initially look like a normal humanoid, but be able to shapechange into weird, otherwordly forms, with as much Far Realms/aberration flavor as possible.

I'd like for him to be primarily a melee threat (little or no spellcasting if possible), able to make multiple natural attack (tentacles ideally) with rider effect with each successful attack.

So to sum up:

Must be humanoid or able to pass for humanoid.
Aberration/Far Realms flavor.
Focused on natural attacks.

He will have minions to help with action economy etc.

My players are fairly low op, so this doesn't need to be an IKEA Tarrasque type monstrosity.

Cheers - T

WbtE
2013-12-16, 10:29 PM
I'm not quite clear on what you want. Is this meant to be a build from WotC-published classes, monsters/races, templates, etc, or just something in line with the given CR?

avr
2013-12-16, 10:33 PM
The non-epic pseudonatural feat (CArc, I think?) sounds like a good starting point. A monk with Stunning Fist might be able to handle the rest of your request.

Edit: actually, look up the dolgaunt in the ECS.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
I'd like for him to initially look like a normal humanoid, but be able to shapechange into weird, otherwordly forms, with as much Far Realms/aberration flavor as possible.

Well, for the latter aspect, you might want to check out the Madcaller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16211807), which is focused on summoning aberrations. That might help with the flavor aspect (not to mention some handy minions, especially with Aberration Empathy) and might provide tissue samples, as it were, for some other PrC that devotes itself to shapeshifting.

I know this doesn't quite fit with your no-spellcasting preference, but thought I'd offer it as a potential component for the build.

Thurbane
2013-12-16, 10:54 PM
I'm not quite clear on what you want. Is this meant to be a build from WotC-published classes, monsters/races, templates, etc, or just something in line with the given CR?
A build using WotC races, classes etc.

Brookshw
2013-12-16, 11:05 PM
Psuedonatural template doppleganger/or changling monk warshaper? Depending on how you do feats and gear it can be scaled up to do decent damage. Stack abberant blood for extra reach. Interesting but not a powerhouse unless you want it to be (which would be tricky at that level though do-able).

Tim Proctor
2013-12-16, 11:25 PM
I'd probably go Wild Shape Ranger 5 / War Shaper 5 / Master of Many Forms X. Nice and simple. Toss in the 'Aberration Wild Shape' for flavor and you'll be fine.

Battle Sorcerer/Master Transmogrifist is also a decent option.