PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Warlock

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 10:19 PM
I need a build that gets me the Invocation "Flee the Scene" and Sneak Attack 2d6 inside 7 levels....

From what I can tell, its nigh impossible, but, you guys ARE supermegaawesomesexybeastmonsters so.... prove me wrong?

Chronos
2013-12-16, 10:40 PM
Hmm... Illumian rogue 1/warlock 5/unseen seer 1, with the feat Magical Training and Illumian tricks to heighten the cantrips to 1st level, maybe? You could (and probably should) replace rogue with spellthief, too.

EDIT:
To be specific: Illumian with the Krau sigil, and take Magical Training at 1st and Improved Sigil (Krau) at 3rd. Make sure that two of your three cantrips are Detect Magic and Read Magic, or two other divinations, then apply your Improved Sigil bonus to them. That gives you the ability to cast two first-level divination spells, as required for Unseen Seer. The skills for US are all class skills for warlock and/or spellthief, so the rank requirements are all attainable. I'd have to do some poking around to figure out whether it'd be better to take the spellthief level at 1st (for more skill points) or at 6th (for less cross-class rank buying). If you have flaws available, you might want to take Able Learner, which would also fill in the gaps in Unseen Seer's skill list.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 10:46 PM
Of course... beutiful. Any chance of a way to do it with a halfling or gnome?

gorfnab
2013-12-16, 11:01 PM
Let me guess, Telflammar Shadowlord...how about 8 levels? Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/ Swordsage 1 (Assassins Stance)

ben-zayb
2013-12-16, 11:04 PM
Looks like it. However, he said 7 level, not 8.

Closest I can think of is a relaxed prerequisite for Magical Training (removing the race restriction), Sanctum Spell, and another metamagic (eschew materials?).

On the other hand, Swordsage 7 will give you a Teleport like effect and Sneak Attack for the Shadowlord. You can take Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) to qualify for the PrC itself

GhengisConrad
2013-12-16, 11:13 PM
These are really nifty. I sure do wish there was some way to boost Gnomes spell power to qualify for unseen seer. but it seems too cheesy for me.

My current build up looks like this:

Rouge 1
totemist 3 (or any 3 levels you'd like!)
Trapsmith 1
Abjurant Champ 1
unseen seer 1

------

but I LOVE the flavor of the warlock (insert jack black reference here. Watching '88 sweet for brak' as I write this too, lol.)

Vizzerdrix
2013-12-17, 03:02 AM
Of course... beutiful. Any chance of a way to do it with a halfling or gnome?

Rogue-1/Warlock-5/UA sneak attack fighter-1.

I think that'll get you what you want.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-17, 03:53 AM
Rogue-1/Warlock-5/UA sneak attack fighter-1.

I think that'll get you what you want.

How are you getting 'flee the scene'?

nedz
2013-12-17, 06:24 AM
Halfling Rogue (with ACF) 1 / Warlock 6
Now you only get 2d6 sneak with missile weapons, but that might be what you want ?

ACF: Halfling Rogue Substitution Levels (RW, p 160)

Seffbasilisk
2013-12-17, 08:21 AM
I can do it in six.

Warlock 6.

Feats: Martial Study (any shadowhand Maneuver), Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)

Edit:

Arms and Equipment Guide (pg. 139) has an intelligent magic item granting feats, specifically blind fight and mobility if you're feat-starved for a specific build.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-17, 11:18 AM
I can do it in six.

Warlock 6.

Feats: Martial Study (any shadowhand Maneuver), Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)

wait.. really? is this a thing? Does this qualify you for telflamm Slord's 2d6 prereq for 2 feats?!

I can do it in six.
Now you only get 2d6 sneak with missile weapons, but that might be what you want ?

I dunno. Would that qualify you for Teflammor? I don't think so...

nedz
2013-12-17, 12:46 PM
I dunno. Would that qualify you for Teflammor? I don't think so...

I don't see why not. You get 2d6 sneak with missile weapons. Sure it's situational, but so is all sneak.

Darrin
2013-12-17, 02:53 PM
wait.. really? is this a thing? Does this qualify you for telflamm Slord's 2d6 prereq for 2 feats?!

Assassin's Stance does satisfy the prereq: "Sneak attack damage +2d6", but unfortunately without Martial Adept levels, you don't have a high enough Initiator Level to get the stance until ECL 10 (10/2 = 5 IL).

If all you want is Shadow-Pounce, have you considered Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 (Shining South)? Might be easier to qualify for.

Menzath
2013-12-17, 03:24 PM
Warlock X/ Binder 1 w/ improved binding would also do.

If your DM let's you qualify for anima mage w/o 2nd level spells all the better.

edit: would also would? I R engrish maester.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-17, 03:31 PM
Warlock X/ Binder 1 w/ improved binding would also do.

If your DM let's you qualify for anima mage w/o 2nd level spells all the better.

edit: would also would? I R engrish maester.

also do what? how? I am unfamiliar with Binder. Am I looking for flee the scene or sneak attack?

Menzath
2013-12-17, 03:48 PM
Okay, Binding the vestige Andromalius can give you an ability(ies), one of them is

Sneak Attack: You deal an extra 2d6 points of damage when
fl anking an opponent or at any time when the target would
be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to
ranged attacks only if the opponent is within 30 feet. For
every fi ve effective binder levels you possess beyond 5th, your
sneak attack damage increases by an additional 1d6 points.
For example, a 15th-level binder deals an extra 4d6 points
of damage with his sneak attack. See the rogue class feature
on page 50 of the Player’s Handbook. If you get a sneak attack
bonus from another source, the bonuses to damage stack.
But binding this vestige requires a binder level of three, hence taking improved binding as a feat.
And warlock levels were mentioned as a requirement of the purposed build, up to 7th level. overall though with a 1 level dip and 1 feat you can easily get the 2d6 sneak attack the OP(you) requested while having as many warlock levels as possible and getting the sneak attack at the earliest level possible.
2d6 SA at level 1 is quite nice.

Yes the 2 ToB feats is a way to maximize warlock levels, it depends on what the build will require at higher levels and what you are willing to trade for the SA.