PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Race?

171akup
2013-12-16, 11:57 PM
Dwarf or Human? Which one? :smallbiggrin:

eggynack
2013-12-17, 12:03 AM
If the choice is absolutely stuck between those two, human is the superior choice. More feats are, as the philosophers of old put it, "more better." Any build can be improved by the addition of a feat and skill point, and while dwarves grant some nice stuff, it's not on the same scale. Also, the charisma penalty is slightly annoying for a crazy intimidation build. Given a broader choice, I'd probably pick water orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterOrcs). With +4 strength and +2 constitution, water orcs have basically the perfect stat setup to conquer the world with their blade. Ultimately though, race has some dependence on build. For example, I might shy away from water orc with the aforementioned crazy intimidation build, while a standard pouncebarian would work fine with it.

171akup
2013-12-17, 12:12 AM
If the choice is absolutely stuck between those two, human is the superior choice. More feats are, as the philosophers of old put it, "more better." Any build can be improved by the addition of a feat and skill point, and while dwarves grant some nice stuff, it's not on the same scale. Also, the charisma penalty is slightly annoying for a crazy intimidation build. Given a broader choice, I'd probably pick water orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterOrcs). With +4 strength and +2 constitution, water orcs have basically the perfect stat setup to conquer the world with their blade. Ultimately though, race has some dependence on build. For example, I might shy away from water orc with the aforementioned crazy intimidation build, while a standard pouncebarian would work fine with it.

Cool advice but is the light sensitivity gonna be an issue also the weapon I will probably use is a spiked chain. :smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2013-12-17, 12:16 AM
Cool advice but is the light sensitivity gonna be an issue also the weapon I will probably use is a spiked chain. :smallbiggrin:

Light Senstivity is a -1 on attack, search and spot. Nothing big.

171akup
2013-12-17, 12:21 AM
Also what is the swimming speed of a water or barbarian. :smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2013-12-17, 12:23 AM
Also what is the swimming speed of a water or barbarian. :smallbiggrin:

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian or Fast Movement Barbarian?
30ft or 40ft

eggynack
2013-12-17, 12:24 AM
Apparently, the main way to combat light sensitivity is sundark goggles (RotD, 123) for 10 GP. Alternatively, if that's too much of a stress on your WBL, you can pick up shaders (RoE, 103), which cost 1 SP, but gives you a -1 penalty to spot checks. For swim speed, a water orc's swim speed is equal to an orc's land speed, and an orc's land speed is 30 feet, so that's your swim speed. Finally, spiked chain builds are rather feat intensive, so in a choice between human and dwarf, I'll double down on human. You may want to consider a guisarme as your weapon, at least temporarily, and maybe add armor spikes to deal with enemies five feet from you, because these kindsa builds are feat tight.

171akup
2013-12-17, 12:25 AM
Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian or Fast Movement Barbarian?
30ft or 40ft

Fast Movement. :smallbiggrin:

eggynack
2013-12-17, 12:33 AM
Fast Movement. :smallbiggrin:
You should probably switch that over. Spirit lion totem (CC, 46) is absolutely amazing. You're trading fast movement for pounce, and the latter is one of the most important things ever on a melee build. You should also strongly consider adding wolf totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) and whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) to your barbarian, and then leave the class after level two. It's what barbarians are best at.