PDA

View Full Version : gestalt campain

r0adkill
2013-12-17, 06:32 AM
im playing in a gustalt campain im thinking about playing a 8 ninja / 4 swashbuckler pixy out of the monster manuel any ideas weather this would be a great combo with sneak attack free invisablity and Insightful Strike

i am playing another where im thinking about 12 mindblade/12 duskblade

Beardbarian
2013-12-17, 06:35 AM
Wizard 8//Rogue4

Greater invisibility at will? You already won the game

r0adkill
2013-12-17, 06:43 AM
Wizard 8//Rogue4

Greater invisibility at will? You already won the game

the main reason im going ninja is for the armor bonus and sudden strike

r0adkill
2013-12-17, 07:00 AM
forgot to mention my stats str 10 dex 24 con 14 int 21 wis 22 cha 20

DMVerdandi
2013-12-17, 07:09 AM
I would suggest the psychic rogue/Spell to power Erudite

You get rogue skills, extra pp, Psychic rogue class features, etc.
You will have more than enough sneaky-sneaky going on, will be able to get those Psy-rogue specific powers, and psion/arcane powers for supplementation.

Everyone whines about how unbalanced and strong the stp erudite is, but it strong for the same reason all tier 1 classes are. Awesome variety, but that isn't a bad thing. Played with the 11 UPD Limit, it's quite conservative. Think of it like a wilder that has the options to change it's loadout at a moment's notice.

Sure you can break it to high heaven, BUT that doesn't mean you should, or that it would be fun. My favorite spells to learn with it are the shadow subtype. Makes for a really cool, smokey, shade-like character. Essentially if you pick 11 of those, you play like a shadowdancer should have.

It's a far better ninja than what WOTC would call one, but at the same time, most classes monk better than a monk, so it's all good.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-19, 06:39 PM
Ninja kinda sucks, I would avoid it personally, but if you are dead set on using sudden strike I suppose in this instance it's not as bad as it usually is since you have greater invisibility whenever you want it. Here's the thing, and it's an important thing, even if we pretend for a moment that SS and SA are equal (not by a long shot), you still have to deal with the fact that rogue is still better in terms of other class features(and covers the ninja concept very well, why they needed to bother making ninja and samurai classes in the first place is beyond me, they are just asian rogues and fighters). My recommendation would be either rogue or swordsage. Or even rogue//swordsage with a few random dips thrown in. You even get wis to ac from swordsage, and the shadow hand school of maneuvers is more ninjatastic than everything the ninja gets combined. Another think to keep in mind is that you have the mental stats for any caster class, wich if nothing else can provide excellent panic buttons. A swordsage//psion (nomad) would be pretty awesome, you can still run around stabbing things, but you now have the those teleports to get the heck out of dodge (and on another continent), or go shaper and have the ability to make massive amounts of poison really easily. I bring the non-erudite psion because they are way less broken, and not a completely ridiculous mistake for wotc to print.

Also when you are invisible all the time your armor class is not particularly important. AC is only important to the visible.

Icewraith
2013-12-19, 06:53 PM
Fair warning, your DM will probably get sick of you winning due to greater invisibility all the time. One glitterdust and that advantage is gone.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-19, 09:44 PM
Keep in mind that Pixies have really good SR as well, honestly pixies are my go to for gestalt because they have something for everyone (except str based meleers, and even then pixie druid is pretty good). Invisibility, SR, SLAs, free arrows, insane stat mods, 60' fly speed, small size, natural armor, and free weapon finesse. The only good excuse to not grab pixie is because you want to hit things with a big piece of metal, or you are playing an int caster//factotum and you want your action economy abuse ASAP (and I just can't be sure that it's worth what you give up by not taking pixie).

Edit: Forgot that glitterdust is SR: no, and the save only affects the blinding.

Corinath
2013-12-19, 09:58 PM
forgot to mention my stats str 10 dex 24 con 14 int 21 wis 22 cha 20

So, RAW, your roll was 14, 16, 14, 15, 16, 16?
Ok.

Yeah, it's great for Sneak Attack. Pick up Cosmopolitan (Iatjutsu Focus) and a Gnomish Quick Razor, Darkstalker, and you deal Iatjutsu Focus + Sneak Attack damage every attack.

But, just don't abuse the Invis too much. I'm playing a Pixie Psychic Rogue/Artificer in my gestalt right now, and my rule of thumb is that I'm not allowed to go invis unless I have a very specific reason for it. (Just passed a Spot/Listen vs something, am about to go scout, am stealing, am in combat, etc), otherwise it gets annoying to the other players.

EDIT:

Pixies don't get free Weapon Finesse as characters. Dodge, yes. Weapon Finesse, no. Source. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pixie)

Darth Stabber
2013-12-20, 12:42 AM
Pixies don't get free Weapon Finesse as characters. Dodge, yes. Weapon Finesse, no. Source. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pixie)

Yes they do. source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm)

They get dodge too, but that's harder to be excited about.

I trust Danywiki no further than I can throw it, and as a collection of electrons I don't think it's even physically possible. And I am not going to throw my phone as the deductable on the insurance is $90.

Corinath
2013-12-20, 02:31 AM
Yes they do. source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm)

They get dodge too, but that's harder to be excited about.

I trust Danywiki no further than I can throw it, and as a collection of electrons I don't think it's even physically possible. And I am not going to throw my phone as the deductable on the insurance is $90.

AWW SNAP.

Thanks for correcting me on that, as it now makes me more combat capable. :D