PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Home Rules and Mythic Campaigns

ScubaGoomba
2013-12-17, 08:43 AM
I haven't spent too much time digging into Mythic rules, but I was wondering what you guys think about this idea:

In an attempt to create a modern fantasy setting, I'm thinking about restricting players to the "martial" classes (Fighter, Rogue, Skirmisher Ranger, Cavalier, Samurai, Gunslinger), but using Mythic Rules to open the players up to spell casting and other, more advanced things. Since nobody would have a casting class, if they decide to go with the Archmage or Hierophant, they'll have to pick an Arcane or Divine casting class to be their "class" of sorts, but they'll still level up in whichever "martial" class they originally picked. For the purposes of knowing/casting spells, they'll pick them as they could from their class's lists, but are limited to casting based on the Mythic Spellcasting Ability.

The idea is to make magic rarer, but more powerful when it's present, but without outright banning magic from the players. They would know, from the start, that they would be able to get magic later on, so a player may build an Intelligence-heavy Fighter in order to pick Archmage and capitalize on that. The other Mythic Classes would function as they are.

Thoughts? This may be a little rushed; I'm heading out, but wanted to throw the post up. If there are some glaring issues I'm not seeing, please point them out and maybe give me some tips on how to correct them! Thanks!

krackenjack
2014-01-03, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a solid enough idea. It would take a lot of reworking, though, since so many of the Archmage/Heirophant abilities - including ALL the Archmage arcana - are based on spending spell slots or the level of spell you can cast. Could force Archmages to take Wild Arcana and say they have access to all spells of a level equal to or less than their tier, I guess.