PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Justifying one level of wizard

Dalebert
2013-12-17, 09:19 AM
Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it but that's why I need to run it by you guys. I also need a couple questions clarified that will help me be clear on the benefits.

TL;DR summary: Should I take one level of wizard to go with gravewalker (witch)?

I'm playing a witch and I'm already feeling the sting of the limited spell list. Right off the bat, no prestidigitation! Of course there are many more spells down the line that are a bit painful. Part of my alternate plan is to up my UMD so I can at least use some spell trigger items to fill in some gaps. But if I were to take just one level of wizard, the short-term benefit is undeniable, but is it worth it in the long run? Obviously I'll be getting higher level spells and some of the better hexes a level later forever. That's the main price. Also, I'll be set back 1 BAB which sucks a little mainly for ranged touch spells.

1) A big one: No UMD check for LOTs of spell trigger items.
2) Scribe Scroll: I wouldn't spend a feat on this but as long as it's free, will occasionally be handy and save a little cash.
3) 4 more WIZARD cantrips prepared and 5 more 1st level WIZARD spells with the help of school specialization, arcane bond, and 20 INT. (Ring of Wizardry I??) I realize they would always cast at 1st level but there are plenty of spells that remain reasonably useful, e.g. ray of enfeeblement, grease, shield.
4) Knowledge (religion) as a class skill to compliment my Gravewalker archetype.
5) Specialization abilities, some of which might (?) continue to be helpful as a witch. Others will be a really nice temporary boost but won't scale well.
6) Question: If I took a wand for my arcane bond, would I gain the ability to enchant it at lvl 5 when I would be eligible to take Craft Wand as a witch?
7) Question: If I specialize in conjuration, would the extra round of duration for summons apply to my witch summon monsters? It doesn't say otherwise.

It feels like a really nice boost for a few levels that won't scale well at higher levels. I'd probably do it at 3rd level right after I got my first hex (slumber) and at the same time I'm taking Undead Master. My DM is house-ruling that UM will enhance bonethrall.

If I went necromancy, I'd take the Command Undead bonus feat and get 5 extra HD worth of undead under my control for a total of 11 HD at 3rd level, but I'm pretty sure the feat would not apply to my witch levels so the DC will suck and not scale at later levels, nor would the HD pool. Would be nice for a few levels though.

If I went conjuration, would the extra round on summoning spells affect witch castings? It seems like it might. The acid darts are a nice thing to have to spam instead of just shooting a crossbow, but again will rapidly become less valuable as I level.

If I went transmutation, the extra physical stat point would scale better than other things, but it's just one point (not 2) which is just enough to not be that useful for much of anything unless I were willing to sacrifice one of my leveling stat boosts, and I'm probably not.

I've also considered sorcerer and magus. Eschew Materials is nice and I assume it would apply to my witch spells but feels like fluff, plus there's a bloodline that would get me the coven hex for free. With magus, I could get the feat Arcane Armor Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-training-combat) which would allow me to wear a mithral shirt with zero ACF for witch spells and also be handy when I'm possessing undead that could then have some armor on them. But they have a limited spell list which would sacrifice my main reason for the level dip.

Basically, it feels like the extra perks for wizard and specialization trump the other two.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-17, 10:03 AM
Unless you can grab something undeniably powerful, like Abrupt Jaunt this level will hurt in the long run. When the dip is keeping you one level short of fifth or sixth level spells you'll be wishing you went the skillpoint route.

ngilop
2013-12-17, 10:10 AM
yeah Witch get most (if not all been a while) of the good wizard spells.

if you wanted to be a wizard you should have just went wizard.

But then again im not an optimizer, so i have no idea if this a good or bad for a decision.

To me as a DM, I would say no to you trying to do this for the simple fact that you literally don't want naything out of this than the ability to use wizard spell trigger items, it has absolutely nothing to do with how your Roleplaying your character and even less to do with your character's concept. WHich is very specific as you took the gravewalker archetype.

7) that is strictly for spells you cast as a wizard. Also why would you as a gravewalker be taking Conjuration and NOT Necromancy? again you are going completely against your eintire concept just to get a few perks ( that may or may not exist).. I can just never understand this type of playstyle, so I am fine with you totally ignoring anything I said.. besdies seems like you already made up your mind anyways.

Dalebert
2013-12-17, 10:58 AM
Unless you can grab something undeniably powerful, like Abrupt Jaunt this level will hurt in the long run.

What is Abrupt Jaunt? I can't find any reference to it.

When the dip is keeping you one level short of fifth or sixth level spells you'll be wishing you went the skillpoint route.

I know of a feat or two, but other than that, do you have any suggestions for bumping UMD?

it has absolutely nothing to do with how your Roleplaying your character and even less to do with your character's concept.

Your arguments apply to any multi-classing. I know there is a thread around here about whether one should ever multiclass in PF. Your opinion on that is clear.

My class is not my character concept. You don't know my character concept. I'm not sure why you seem so upset just at me considering this. My character could be choosing to get a little training as a wizard for the same reason I would choose it--to be a little more diversified.

besdies seems like you already made up your mind anyways.

Then why would I bother starting a thread to ask?

Alleran
2013-12-17, 10:59 AM
Is the DM allowing you to join a mage guild and get access to Esoteric and/or Eclectic Training?

grarrrg
2013-12-17, 11:38 AM
If I went conjuration, would the extra round on summoning spells affect witch castings? It seems like it might. The acid darts are a nice thing to have to spam instead of just shooting a crossbow, but again will rapidly become less valuable as I level.

7) that is strictly for spells you cast as a wizard.

The FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9ne8) disagrees with you here.

"General rule: If a class ability modifies your spellcasting, it applies to your spells from all classes, not just spells from the class that grants the ability. (The exception is if the class ability specifically says it only applies to spells from that class.)"

So yes, 1 level of Conjuration Wizard increases ALL of your Summoning Spells duration.