PDA

View Full Version : Some Lich related questions

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-17, 09:47 AM
Alright so looking through the web i found a few ideas for either a cool bad guy pc or boss maybe both. But i need some info first.

1. Is there anyway for a lich to look like it did before it was liched.
2. Is there a way for the lich not to set off detect undead spells or enchantments ect.
3. Is there a way for a lich to control undeadlike ghouls or something?

More then likely more question to come.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-17, 10:35 AM
Disguise Undead, 2nd level spell lasts 24 hours

2. Is there a way for the lich not to set off detect undead spells or enchantments ect. Nondection, Mislead and various divination blocking effects. Things that damage undead... no not really the undead bane sword will always deal extra a damage to an undead.

Command Undead, Control Undead basically anything that let a PC control undead. If its a NPC them DM flat because NPC leaders have as many minions as the DM deems appropriate.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 10:36 AM
Well, Gentle repose will keep a body fresh. Age is the reason liches look like skeletons, not the process itself. Disguise self will also work.

Mind blank or non-detection will solve the divination problem.

Finaly, consider cleric or dread necromancer as a base class. Both can rebuke undead, and can cast spells to make undead who are under their control.

Deca4531
2013-12-17, 10:39 AM
Alright so looking through the web i found a few ideas for either a cool bad guy pc or boss maybe both. But i need some info first.

2. Is there a way for the lich not to set off detect undead spells or enchantments ect.

1.if I remember correctly which gets disguise or alter ability self as part of the template.

2.there should be a spell in the Lebris mortum book called spark of life that should accomplish this to some degree.

3.there are a couple ways of doing this depending on how you became a Lich. If you were a cleric obviously you would have the rebuke or control undead ability. If you're a wizard or sorcerer there are spells for that. There is also a feat you can take in the same book that is the equivalent of an undead leadership feat

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-17, 10:44 AM
Well, Gentle repose will keep a body fresh. Age is the reason liches look like skeletons, not the process itself.
That's more your opinion rather then fact. No Lich in any D&D material has been shown to halt the decaying appearance.

*And to be a nitpick gentle repose has a target of "corpse" the Lich is undead not a corpse so strictly by RAW it won't work. If a Lich counted as a "corpse" you could cast animate dead to transform a lich into a mindless skeleton.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-17, 10:58 AM
I think the idea would be to cast gentle repose on the body before rising as a lich... except I'm pretty sure liches go straight from living to unliving.

I suppose you could cook up a "preserve undead" spell (which would also keep your zombies from getting that not-so-fresh odor).

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-17, 11:04 AM
Ok so cleric is a strong consideration. Always considered a caster to give that unearthly magic feel anyway.

N1. Do liches look like desicated corpses because of the process or simply aging and rotting?
N2. Is 'Spark of life' the only way to hide from say a detect undead spell?.
I dont mind if bane still does damage or anything like that.
N3. Which 'type' of Lich is best? There is Lich, Dry Lich, ect.

Yawgmoth
2013-12-17, 11:10 AM
Bathe in Oil of Timelessness right before doing the ritual. You die, body is now an object, OoT takes effect in the interim between your death and reanimation.

Also, the abbreviation you were looking for is etc.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 11:34 AM
Dry litch is best so long as you don't mind being obvious. You have to have 7 items destroyed before you die. Your aura of heat will keep the rain off, and you get Cha to HP.

You can also become one by level 11, if you are a cleric base with the thirst and sand domain, and the domain spontaneity ACF.

Deca4531
2013-12-17, 11:48 AM
there is also "good lich" that will net you turn undead if you don't already have it, which can then be used for divine metamagic.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-17, 11:52 AM
I have seen the good lich before but not sure of it still gives everything a normal lich does.

As far as dry I will consider it because it sounds nice.

Any special items it should have like specific rings or headbands etc

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 11:57 AM
Stuff to boost turn resistance is nice.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-17, 12:14 PM
N1. Is there a way to change the liches appearance each time he reforms? Like each bodybtakes a new face? Refilling physical descriptors

ShurikVch
2013-12-17, 03:50 PM
1. Is there anyway for a lich to look like it did before it was liched. Actually, fresh lich look life-like. Undead decay is very slow, and skeletal liches supposed to be no less than millennium old.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-17, 04:02 PM
Really the best way is probably magic jar The lich can possess some living fool and go about his business.

Actually, fresh lich look life-like.
Really where is that ever said?

OldTrees1
2013-12-17, 04:11 PM

1)
Gentle Repose
Disguise Undead
Restore Corpse[PF]

3)
Command Undead spell(Will Save)
Control Undead spell(higher Will Save, lower duration)
Rebuke Undead (the default way)
Undead Mastery (Ghouls have an ECL thus they can be cohorts)
Create Spawn (If you have A ghoul, then this gives you more ghouls)

N1. Do liches look like desicated corpses because of the process or simply aging and rotting?
N2. Is 'Spark of life' the only way to hide from say a detect undead spell?.
I dont mind if bane still does damage or anything like that.
N3. Which 'type' of Lich is best? There is Lich, Dry Lich, ect.

1) Rules do not say. However all literary representations I have seen were caused by rotting. (Not age nor the process)
2) Nope. Nondetection explicitly protects against "detect spells" (caster level check vs DC 15+caster level). A nice ~75% protection
3) Dry Lich gets some more bonuses but is more level intensive. I favor the old fashion lich.

N1. Is there a way to change the liches appearance each time he reforms? Like each bodybtakes a new face? Refilling physical descriptors
Rules do not say. So the default is "No, but ask your DM"

ShurikVch
2013-12-17, 04:22 PM
Lords of Darkness, description of liches from the Twisted Rune.
Sapphiraktar the Blue is "indistinguishable from a living dragon" because "he carefully maintains his appearance through magic". And Kartak Spellseer was restored after destruction, and his body still "relatively undecayed".
Rhangaun, on the other hand...
Dead for more than a thousand
years, he is little more than a skeleton with glowing eyes.

Synovia
2013-12-17, 04:43 PM
Really the best way is probably magic jar The lich can possess some living fool and go about his business.

Libris Mortis's example lich's are all mentioned as looking like normal young people, excepting the one that is thousands of years old.