PDA

View Full Version : Arrowmind and flanking

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 11:05 AM
Ok since you threaten out to 5 feat with arrow mind do you gain the benefit of flanking?

There is a feat that would give me arrow mind at all times in the AEG feat book and I was thinking of playing a halfling monk rogue who focused primarily on ranged damage used ranged sneak attack and later warsling sniper.

*Note - yes I understand the list of weapons is very specific for arrow mind but it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to include slings. I am pretty sure my DM would allow it.

hymer
2013-12-17, 11:13 AM
No. Though you circumvent some of the problems with ranged attacks, you're still making ranged attacks. These don't gain any advantage from flanking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ).

Relevant quote:

"When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus [...]"
Had to change the link due to OP's handle.

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 11:19 AM
well damn then that build is out. wanted to use some stuff like this to get my ranged sneak attack pumped to stupid proportions and then stand in combat flinging rocks at people with a X4 critical

hymer
2013-12-17, 11:36 AM
Hey, who knows? Maybe someone will be by to tell us I'm wrong.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 11:41 AM
You still are flanking though. Ranged attacks don't get the +2, but you qualify for sneak attacks and such even if the attack is not gaining the +2 flanking bonus.

hymer
2013-12-17, 11:52 AM
I concede that. OP will be pleased. :smallsmile:

Segev
2013-12-17, 11:57 AM
I think, since you threaten, you can be somebody ELSE's flanking buddy, if THEY are attacking in melee.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 12:01 PM
Sneak attack, from the SRD.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

Are you flanking the target? Yes. You can sneak attack them.

Ranged attacks have a second requirement of being within 30ft, but still follow all the rules of the above section. Normally is it foolish to attack with a ranged weapon VS a target you are flanking, but there is not reason it can't be done.

TLDR

Attacking a target you are currently flanking allows for sneak attack with no mention of being restricted to melee attacks.

Attacking with a ranged sneak attack can only be done within 30ft, with no further statement saying flanking won't make it qualify.

Therefore, if you are wielding a dagger and are flanking a target, you can throw the dagger at the target and gain sneak attack.

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 12:23 PM
so a warsling with arrowmind will allow me to flank? Freaking sweet. Masterwork buckler, warsling and adding my wisdom and dex to AC.

Also would swordsage be better than monk to take? Would allow me to take island of blades and flank all the time!!!!!

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 12:28 PM
Also, can I dual wield war slings?

Greenish
2013-12-17, 12:35 PM
Also, can I dual wield war slings?You could, but you'd need two hands to load each. You could have a bunch of loaded slings at hand and quick draw those, though.

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 12:45 PM
This could be a pretty nasty build especially if I swap monk 2 for swordsage 2. Light armor dex and wis to ac small ac bonus bonus to slings dual wielding for lots of SA dice.... Boosts stances and strikes.

SO what do you think of the build idea?

Rogue 1/ Fighter 1/Swordsage 2/ Rogue 3/ Warsling Sniper 6/ Rogue 7

Stats

Str 12
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 18
Cha 12

Feats

Flaw 1 Point Blank Shot
Flaw 2 Precise Shot
1st Visionary arrow Mind
F1 EWP War sling
3rd EWP Halfling skiprock
6th ?
9th ?
12th ?
15th ?
18th ?

Maginomicon
2013-12-17, 12:46 PM
You could, but you'd need two hands to load each.A thri-kreen (psionic version or not) or diopsid would be able to do this IIRC.

You could have a bunch of loaded slings at hand and quick draw those, though.
It'd be up to your GM whether he'd allow you to stow a loaded sling, as a sling doesn't exactly have a means to keep its ammo in place (it's literally a leather strap with a rock hanging in the wide part).

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 12:51 PM
There is a crossbow enchantment that lets you preload like 50 rounds. That could be converted to a sling enchantment without breaking the game. ASK YOUR DM(tm)

IAmTehDave
2013-12-17, 12:56 PM
Also would swordsage be better than monk to take?

AFAIK, the answer to that question is, in 99.999999999999999999999% of situations, Yes.
(I think going Monk for some ACFs would be the only reason to do that instead of Swordsage. Or if your DM doesn't allow ToB)

For slings: You could take the Leadership feat and just have your cohort spend its turn reloading slings...

Greenish
2013-12-17, 01:00 PM
There is a crossbow enchantment that lets you preload like 50 rounds.You're probably thinking of Quick Loading (A&EG/MIC). It holds 100 bolts, but doesn't change the fact that you need two hands to reload the weapon. Though it should.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-17, 01:00 PM
Or a pair of unseen servants. I believe the collar of perpetual attendance is the go to item for reloading.

tricktroller
2013-12-17, 01:08 PM
actually one unseen servant could do it as two move actions.

IAmTehDave
2013-12-17, 01:17 PM
Or a pair of unseen servants. I believe the collar of perpetual attendance is the go to item for reloading.

Don't know how...the CoPA specifies what, exactly, the Unseen Servant is capable of doing. It then fails to add "This can also function as the Unseen Servant spell," or anything similar. So unless you treat the sling as "in need of cleaning" when unloaded, and "clean" when loaded...

Devronq
2013-12-17, 01:28 PM
You're probably thinking of Quick Loading (A&EG/MIC). It holds 100 bolts, but doesn't change the fact that you need two hands to reload the weapon. Though it should.

I'm afb so I assume it lets you reload 100 times as a free action that requires both hands? Does it work with repeating crossbows?

Uncle Pine
2013-12-17, 01:51 PM
You can use a Glove of the Master Strategist (3.600 gp, from Ghostwalk). It works like a Glove of Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gloveofStoring) (but it's far better and cheaper) and enables you to full attack with two slings and reload them without resorting to high LA races and expensive weapon enhancement.
What you do is:
- store one sling (1st) inside the glove
- full attack with the other sling (2nd)
- retrieve the 1st sling from the glove as a free action (you can take free actions during a full attack)
- store the 2nd one sling inside the glove as a free action
- full attack with the 2nd sling.

Greenish
2013-12-17, 01:56 PM
I'm afb so I assume it lets you reload 100 times as a free action that requires both hands?If applied to light or hand crossbows. For heavy it reduces the loading to move.

Does it work with repeating crossbows?Probably, maybe.