PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Horse Familiar?

Rosstin
2013-12-17, 12:12 PM
Hey guys! I'm playing a Ratfolk Wizard (Demic Goldmane, of Goldmane and Sons and Sons and Sons... Trading Company) in a Pathfinder campaign, and last session he found a really pimped-out horse named Shadowmist. I think it's some kind of heavy warhorse.

We just leveled up to 2. The horse is basically the first and cutest animal that has showed up in the campaign so far, and I suggested that I take it as my familiar to which the DM agreed.

My question is, how do I take the horse as my familiar, rules-wise? Normally I would ask the DM, but our DM is new and a little fuzzy on the rules, so I want to figure out how it should be done and then suggest that, rather than vice-versa. I'm willing to take Improved Familiar when/if we level to 3.

Here's my little rat wizard. Having way too much fun with that guy.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee493/rosstin2011february/rat_zps3ffcbdc2.jpg

Spore
2013-12-17, 12:15 PM
24h Ritual that costs Wizard level times 200 GP. It's his choice if you need the Talent Improved Familiar for it.

I wouldn't think so because as I understand it a "Demic Goldmane" is a normal horse, isn't it? It has no spell like abilites, languages, flight or defensive abilities. It's just a big hunk of meat to ride on.

Rosstin
2013-12-17, 12:18 PM
I think the horse (Shadowmist) is just a heavy (war?)horse, of some expensive and posh breed which makes it worth a lot of gold. But I don't think that that translates into improved stats or HP or anything.

Segev
2013-12-17, 12:24 PM
A horse has better combat stats than most familiar choices, but its large size will doubtless be enough of a drawback to counterbalance any of that. Non-Improved Familiar familiars traditionally also have a +2 to a save or a +3 to a skill they give their master; I would suggest +3 to Ride, here. You're spiritually bonded to a horse, after all, so have a more innate understanding of how to ride it.

It's HD are considered equal to yours, and it has half your hp (likely making it a very fragile horse, at least for a little while). It shares your BAB, as well. It has its stats as listed for the kind of horse it is, otherwise. For other Familiar abilities, refer to the table of Familiar abilities as you level up.

Spore
2013-12-17, 01:18 PM
It's HD are considered equal to yours, and it has half your hp (likely making it a very fragile horse, at least for a little while).

If it's natural HP is higher, that value is taken.

Rosstin
2013-12-17, 03:09 PM
If it's natural HP is higher, that value is taken.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was going to wait on familiarizing it if I didn't know that.

Spore
2013-12-17, 03:31 PM
Thanks, that's good to know. I was going to wait on familiarizing it if I didn't know that.

Just read the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/wizard.html#_familiars) slowly and word by word. It's simple really.

Remember to ask for the +3 on Ride.

Rosstin
2014-01-05, 01:59 AM
Excuse the necromancy-- related.

I'm considering taking Improved Familiar anyway, and I'm curious about what kind of bumps I could give the horse based on the feat?

We're level 3 now! Huzzah!