PDA

View Full Version : My take on E6.

qwertyu63
2013-12-17, 12:37 PM
You level up to level 6 normally. But after level 6, you can not gain any further levels normally. [So far, standard E6]

Once you have 6 levels you can spend 5,000 xp to gain another level in any class you don't already have 6 levels in. However, this level acts differently than the first 6.

Take the extra level you just got and add it alongside your first level. Treat the two as gestalted together. This means that for that level, you get the better of their BAB, saves, hit dice and skills. You may re-spend your skill points for that level. You get the class features of your new level normally.

When you take your second post-6 level (which also costs 5,000 xp), gestalt it alongside your second level. This process repeats for post-6 levels 3-6. At post-6 levels 3 and 6, you gain a new feat.

You may not take a class alongside itself. If, in your post-6 levels, you take a class you took later in your first 6 levels, the levels from your first 6 stack with the post-6 levels to determine your class features (e.g. a fighter 4/wizard 2 who, as their first post-6 level, takes wizard is a net wizard 3).

Once you have 6 post-6 levels, you start the process again, entering post-12 levels; you choose a new class to tristalt alongside the first two at level 1, then level 2 and so on. Each post-12 level costs 10,000 xp. At post-12 levels 3 and 6, you gain a new feat.

Once you have 6 post-12 levels, you enter post-18 levels as you start quadstalting (at a price of 15,000 xp per level). This pattern repeats infinitely (getting a new feat at each level 3 and 6, and the price increasing 5,000 xp each set of 6).

Your ECL increases by 1/2 for every level after level 6 you have (your WBL increases based on this ECL).

nonsi
2013-12-17, 01:13 PM
Once you have 6 post-12 levels, you have reached the limit of your advancement.

1. Question: Why?
2. What happens if someone (for whatever reason) went Fighter2/Monk1/Rogue1/Cleric2? How do you reconcile that with full tristalt?

qwertyu63
2013-12-17, 01:24 PM
2. What happens if someone (for whatever reason) went Fighter2/Monk1/Rogue1/Cleric2? How do you reconcile that with full tristalt?

1: Because I got buried under my bad phrasing and chose to stop there. Not really stops you from throwing that line out and continuing to quadstalt. (I would say 15,000 xp for each post-18 level)

2: Very carefully. I would need more details to sort out that one.

Grinner
2013-12-17, 01:28 PM
Clever...There's a few teething issues I can see, but this is very clever.

Well done. :smallsmile:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-17, 02:21 PM
Interesting. Would you still use capstone feats?

qwertyu63
2013-12-17, 02:23 PM
Interesting. Would you still use capstone feats?

Sure, why not.

ddude987
2013-12-17, 05:18 PM
so can someone take 6 levels in a baseclass and then prestige their gestalt levels?

qwertyu63
2013-12-17, 05:24 PM
so can someone take 6 levels in a baseclass and then prestige their gestalt levels?

...not quite. The rule is (as it is in the gestalt rules I called upon), you can have a class if you qualify for it at the time you took it. So if you want a PrC as your (for example) 3rd post-6 level, you need to qualify for it using your first 2 levels in each set (not likely).

SiuiS
2013-12-17, 05:34 PM

What is the issue with being that class combo? Just do it. You end up weird at 6th but functional. Ish.
And you can still take any combination, eventually, of four more fighter levels, give more monk levels, five more rogue levels and four more cleric levels, along with eventual sorcerer, bard, wizard, ranger, paladin and barbarian at six each, if you play that long.

BaB+6, all good saves, Druid, cleric, wizard, sorcerer casting 3rd, and 6d12 hit points. Not too broken, considering. It's not like you have anywhere to go, from here, and you can beat those numbers in e6 anyway wish incarnum and retraining; the dwarven soul smith PrC can be entered at level 5 or 6, and retraining allows you to take the class and qualify for itself with itself, giving you Soulsmith 6, and a caster level of 18 for the purpose of crafting magic items.

Or maybe you need a base level and only get CL 15. Still better than gestalting every base class, since you duplicate every base class via increase WBL anyway.

ranagrande
2013-12-17, 10:24 PM
This is pretty similar to my favorite E6 variant (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D&p=5335018&viewfull=1#post5335018).

nonsi
2013-12-18, 10:50 AM
What about rituals for spells effects such as Raise Dead, Restoration, Stone To Flesh, Break Enchantment etc ?

qwertyu63
2013-12-18, 11:16 AM
What about rituals for spells effects such as Raise Dead, Restoration, Stone To Flesh, Break Enchantment etc ?

Presumably those would be available, but that is beyond the scope of this. This was just to replace the normal E6 "leveling" rules. Everything else would still be as in normal E6.