PDA

View Full Version : All the General's Party Members

Reddish Mage
2013-12-17, 01:25 PM
Tarquin initially came across as a decent, reasonable individual (at least if you weren't looking at the Empire and his position in it). So did Malack, who was after all quick to befriend Durkon, and was only so angry at Nale because what he did to Malack's children. Laurin too, talks like she's just mom (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0921.html). I notice a theme with Tarquin's group. Could it be that each of these individuals, while being extraordinarily evil below the surface, have a facade of being decent people because they have some normal family relationships?

If so, where would we see Laurin's vile evil nature?

Rakoa
2013-12-17, 01:38 PM
I don't think she is important enough to warrant it at this point. I doubt we will see much of Laurin's motivations in the main story, and even less so of the rest of Tarquin's party. Possibly in the fabled Linear Guild prequel, though.

Mike Havran
2013-12-17, 02:37 PM
I think this may be true (except Jacinda - she doesn't seem "decent and reasonable" :smalltongue:), but we might never find out. I hope we will.

The reveal of Laurin's favor might make a hint about her.

Gift Jeraff
2013-12-17, 03:19 PM
High Priest Malack stood in the light
High Priest Malack died in a fight
All the general's party members and all the general's men
Couldn't put Malack together again

MtlGuy
2013-12-17, 11:01 PM
Miron seems like an extortionist.

Everyl
2013-12-17, 11:08 PM
Well, she did already greet the last surviving child of her recently-deceased friend by trying to murder him in a particularly agonizing manner, when the most hostile thing he'd done was glare at her a bit while she participated is the (attempted) slaughter of his companions.

So there's that.

Anarion
2013-12-17, 11:46 PM
Malack was planning to take over after the others died and make an unholy kingdom that would slaughter hundreds of people in the service of Nergal. But yeah, he did seem like a decent fellow, I suppose.

Boring McReader
2013-12-17, 11:53 PM
Could it be that each of these individuals, while being extraordinarily evil below the surface, have a facade of being decent people because they have some normal family relationships?

If so, where would we see Laurin's vile evil nature?

Their daily lives are full of vile evil acts as they oppress a continent for their own benefit. They're friendly with each other, and they trust each other as far as knowing their scheme works best with all alive and helping each other. But they lie, murder, steal, imprison, execute, and start sham wars without regard for soldiers' lives. Laurin acts for her daughter's sake, but it doesn't make her acts any less evil.

I don't think any of them have been contradictions so far. Their motives are evil but their personalities are human. Tarquin is cool and collected when he gets his way, impulsive and hostile when he doesn't. Laurin is reserved. Malack was hospitable and reasonable even though he had the darkest goals of them all. Miron is brusque and businesslike.

They don't have to put on a mask to behave with civility. If they're at a party, they'll be social. If they're looting a castle, it's business and the thrill of a fight. If you're in their way or you anger them, watch out.

SmaugTheYounger
2013-12-18, 03:21 AM
Their daily lives are full of vile evil acts as they oppress a continent for their own benefit. They're friendly with each other, and they trust each other as far as knowing their scheme works best with all alive and helping each other. But they lie, murder, steal, imprison, execute, and start sham wars without regard for soldiers' lives. Laurin acts for her daughter's sake, but it doesn't make her acts any less evil.

(...)

That sums it up nicley. By the way, what's the name of the fighter? I can't remember his name being mentioned.

Tarquin - fighter, leader
Malack - Cleric, vampire
Laurin - Caster, psion
Miron - Caster
Jacinda - Rogue, catgirl
??? - Human fighter
I think he was shown in just two scenes, one with the whole party assembled after them loosing against all the other nations of the continent united against them, one in the scene with the weeping king of the empire of tears.

factotum
2013-12-18, 03:56 AM
Could it be that each of these individuals, while being extraordinarily evil below the surface, have a facade of being decent people because they have some normal family relationships?

No, because Evil people are perfectly capable of having normal family (and non-family, for that matter) relationships--heck, this is one of the things the Giant has always been very keen to show in the strip! Tarquin certainly doesn't even attempt to put up a facade of being decent, even in front of his own sons, and we have no idea what the others do when they're in their own Empires.

Heksefatter
2013-12-18, 05:15 AM
That sums it up nicley. By the way, what's the name of the fighter? I can't remember his name being mentioned.

Malack - Cleric, vampire
Laurin - Caster, psion
Miron - Caster
Jacinda - Rogue, catgirl
??? - Human fighter
I think he was shown in just two scenes, one with the whole party assembled after them loosing against all the other nations of the continent united against them, one in the scene with the weeping king of the empire of tears.

I am pretty sure that we don't know his name.

Anarion
2013-12-18, 02:22 PM
No, because Evil people are perfectly capable of having normal family (and non-family, for that matter) relationships--heck, this is one of the things the Giant has always been very keen to show in the strip! Tarquin certainly doesn't even attempt to put up a facade of being decent, even in front of his own sons, and we have no idea what the others do when they're in their own Empires.

I've decided to run with the idea that Laurin is like Walter White from Breaking Bad. She doesn't let her family know what she's doing and probably has an ongoing cover story for why she's out all the time.

Reddish Mage
2013-12-18, 03:21 PM

I was referring to the facade we, the readers, see when we meet them. Tarquin and Malack were both polite, friendly and helpful. Both of them have certain normal human elements deeply woven into their personalities. For Tarquin it would be love of his family and drama. Malack shares in that love for family and friendship. Laurin also has family she cares about (notice a common theme).

This is unlike other villains we have encountered. As far as other villains go normal family relations don't exist. Redcloak? Xykon? Kubota? Samantha? Tsukiko? All of these characters either have no family mentioned, or actually killed members of their family, with Samantha being the sort of exception that proves the rule. There is one very real exception is Mama ABD, for whom family was the alpha and the omega of her in-comic existence.

Kish
2013-12-18, 03:44 PM
Malack was planning to take over after the others died and make an unholy kingdom that would slaughter hundreds of people in the service of Nergal. But yeah, he did seem like a decent fellow, I suppose.
I'm tempted to sig this.

Fates
2013-12-18, 03:54 PM
This is unlike other villains we have encountered. As far as other villains go normal family relations don't exist. Redcloak? Xykon? Kubota? Samantha? Tsukiko? All of these characters either have no family mentioned, or actually killed members of their family, with Samantha being the sort of exception that proves the rule.

To be fair, Redcloak clearly loved his siblings dearly, and did have perfectly normal family relations for a good long while before he worked himself into a corner. Just because he put his god and his plan before his family doesn't mean he didn't care about his family, it just proves that he's evil.

Shred-Bot
2013-12-18, 05:52 PM

Malack - Cleric, vampire
Laurin - Caster, psion
Miron - Caster
Jacinda - Rogue, catgirl
??? - Human fighter

For all we know, he could be a Permanent Image that Miron cast in order to get a double share of the loot. We've never seen him without Miron after all...

shadowpriest
2013-12-18, 06:13 PM
For all we know, he could be a Permanent Image that Miron cast in order to get a double share of the loot. We've never seen him without Miron after all...

Or maybe - just maybe - I could say that I know that you're not aware of what magic item Penelope gave Tarquin for his birthday last year. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0819.html):smallbiggrin: (absit iniuria verbis)

sengmeng
2013-12-18, 06:15 PM
So in addition to "Good is not dumb" and "Good is not nice," we need "Evil is not rude"?

Domino Quartz
2013-12-18, 06:26 PM
So in addition to "Good is not dumb" and "Good is not nice," we need "Evil is not rude"?

We already have something like that - it's called "Affably Evil."

Paseo H
2013-12-18, 06:31 PM
Yeah, definitely getting a Heisenberg vibe from Laurin. Though if she liked Malack in spite of his plans, maybe she was always evil.

In any case, as I said before, Laurin's probably the most dangerous. Like, paired with Jacinda, you'd naturally be wary of Jacinda because she's obviously whatever she is. But Laurin's all placid and seemingly normal until it's time to mess people up with her epic psionic powers, and you don't see it coming.

Ridureyu
2013-12-18, 06:35 PM
I bet Jacinda is a bubbly, cute and hyper catgirl when not out murdering people.

Keltest
2013-12-18, 06:38 PM
I bet Jacinda is a bubbly, cute and hyper catgirl when not out murdering people.

Cats are never bubbly. That's just an act to lure you in so they can strike.

Ridureyu
2013-12-18, 06:40 PM
But of course. (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Ridureyu/9D4933AA-7BD4-4FB3-AD0F-D5DD62D02A2E.jpg)

Still, I bet that's the "good" personality stereotype she has.

sengmeng
2013-12-18, 06:51 PM
We already have something like that - it's called "Affably Evil."

So why is there still confusion? Maybe "Evil isn't always mustache twirling insanity"?

Boring McReader
2013-12-18, 08:02 PM
I was referring to the facade we, the readers, see when we meet them. Tarquin and Malack were both polite, friendly and helpful. Both of them have certain normal human elements deeply woven into their personalities. For Tarquin it would be love of his family and drama. Malack shares in that love for family and friendship. Laurin also has family she cares about (notice a common theme).

Those aren't facades. Civil behavior and care (of some sort) for family are aspects of their characters. Their evil is also deeply woven into their personalities, to the extent it's impossible to follow them very long without realizing their natures. When stakes are high, Tarquin's party is ruthless. When times are good, they're affable or hedonistic.

Don't forget, Tarquin's first act was knocking Haley out a window in order to force Elan's party to choose between escaping and saving her. He's always ruthless, even when he's unperturbed and in control. He can go from gracious host to cruel executioner to charming suitor in a heartbeat. Which one is really him? He never stops to think about it.

The Pilgrim
2013-12-19, 07:00 AM

Malack - Cleric, vampire
Laurin - Caster, psion
Miron - Caster
Jacinda - Rogue, catgirl
??? - Human fighter

Tarquin - Elan (the fool)
Malack - Durkon (the quiet, polite cleric)
Laurin - Vaarsuvius (the aloof, intelectual caster)
Miron - Belkar (the amoral foil)
Jacinda - Haley (the action girl)
"SPD" - Roy? (the straight man)

I'm starting to think that "Shoulder Pad Guy" may be, in fact, the real leader of the Party. In the scene were Tarquin explains his plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html), he gives Tarquin a stern look rather similar to the one Roy gives Elan each time he has to bear any of the Bard's follies.

Maybe that's why SPG hasn't been introduced to the plot yet. Because as soon as he looked at the mess Tarquin is doing, he would grab him by the ear and order Laurin to port them all home.

In fact, such a conclussion to the current story arc would mean the last nail on the coffin for Tarquin's dignity as a villianous character.

Gnome Alone
2013-12-20, 11:19 PM
I like that idea, Mr. The Pilgrim. I also propose that Shoulder Pad Guy be renamed Paul Drons.

Onyavar
2013-12-21, 03:08 AM

I'm starting to think that "Shoulder Pad Guy" may be, in fact, the real leader of the Party. In the scene were Tarquin explains his plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html), he gives Tarquin a stern look rather similar to the one Roy gives Elan each time he has to bear any of the Bard's follies.

Oh damn. Ninja'ed. I only disagree with your post in a minor detail:
Miron - Haley (greedy and calculating)
Jacinda - Belkar (amoral, bloodthirsty killer)

Aside from that, Laurin is a blaster caster like V, Malack equals Durkon well enough and Tarquin really behaves like a fool in this fight.
If I imagine an Elan in a side-adventure with V and Haley (just imagine in a hypothetical scenario where Haley is not involved romantically at all!), this is just the way he would act: Convincing V and Haley to help him via old or new favors, then ordering them based on his genre-savviness. Without calling favors, Miron and L would tell T off, just like Haley and V would tell Elan.

Now I'm curious when SPG will enter then scene. I can only imagine he has been left out of the action because his actions will reveal that he's the real leader.
Once he learns of what happened today, SPG will judge that Tarquin did a stupid side adventure to get his glory, and tell him he's grounded. And Tarquin already knows that. Tarquin knows that this is his only chance to make Elan submit to his will before SPG makes him pay for his folly.

(Now I will be very disappointed if SPG turns out to be a dumb fighter...)

[Edit:
I was the leader as you are the leader in your little party: That would be truly ironic. We all thought that Tarquin was overestimating Elans role in his party - instead he knew all along that Elan WASN'T the leader! He technically didnt even lie there. Also, he genuinely wanted to help Elan to rise above Roy. Just like Tarquin never could rise over SPG. Leaping to conclusions, that would mean that Tarquin secretly hates SPG for being his superior.]

Now I will be very, very, very disappointed if SPG doesn't match this expectation.

Nilan8888
2013-12-21, 08:58 AM

I'm starting to think that "Shoulder Pad Guy" may be, in fact, the real leader of the Party. In the scene were Tarquin explains his plan, he gives Tarquin a stern look rather similar to the one Roy gives Elan each time he has to bear any of the Bard's follies.

Maybe that's why SPG hasn't been introduced to the plot yet. Because as soon as he looked at the mess Tarquin is doing, he would grab him by the ear and order Laurin to port them all home.

In fact, such a conclussion to the current story arc would mean the last nail on the coffin for Tarquin's dignity as a villianous character.

Wow, that... that really makes you think.

I read this and then took a while to mull it over. What if things happened like this?:

Tarquin was just an ordinary PC once upon a time who'd settled down with Elan and Nale's mom. He was evil, but it was sort of 'dormant': Tarquin had been out adventuring before but was also a romantic, and 'fell in love' with a Chaotic Good barmaid. Their marriage had its ups and downs, and Tarquin yearned to get back out adventuring, but didn't have the motivation yet.

Enter SPG: a key element in Tarquin's story that he leaves out these days. This guy hails from the Southern Continent, but has traveled and adventured all over so he could get the money and expertise to go back home and set up a proper Empire for himself with resources from outside. He's trained, mastered military tactics, and is very driven. Tarquin, narcissist that he is, meets SPG and initially gravitates to him: he's everything Tarquin wants to be, and he becomes SPG's willing toady while he's made his temporary base of operations nearby. SPG is like Roy's influence on Elan, but Tarquin is drawn to him BECAUSE he's evil.

This puts the final nail in the coffin for Tarquin's marriage. Tarquin is beginning to mimic SPG and do all sorts of things he didn't use to do (Tarquin always had it in him to DO these things, but meeting SPG has really given him confidence) -- he's killing people for looking at his wife the wrong way, staying out all night, dressing like SPG but more extreme with helmets and spikes on the shoulder-pads. Their marriage breaks down. Tarquin takes Nale and accompanies SPG on his mission to the Southern Continent, and they meet the rest of their party gradually over the next little while.

What happens in Tarquin's first "Empire" is this: SPG was doing it all. But he ALREADY had an idea very much like the one Tarquin would later come up with -- Tarquin was SPG's ORIGINAL PATSY. SPG's idea was, upon meeting Tarquin, to make an Empire and have Tarquin serve as the figurehead. However this plan was more straightforward: he wasn't necessarily planning to kill Tarquin for a long, long time, and there was only going to be one Empire. Tarquin never really knew any of this -- in his mind they just took the place over and SPG decided ruling suited Tarquin better.

As we know, this Empire was crushed by a huge alliance. Who knows, maybe SPG miscalculated and he wasn't even the first guy to try to take over with outside resources. Point is the plan fails and they group falls back into a PC adventuring party. Since Tarquin is not really the leader, he's finally starting to resent SPC and just how much better he is at this stuff.

At some point later, maybe all at once, maybe he was getting it bit by bit, Tarquin figures out the concept of ruling by proxy, which had never occurred to him up to this point. He then applies some improvements and trope-savvy enhancements, and presents it to the team as if it was a unique and original plan (which in his mind, it is -- he's still oblivious to the fact that he was the original patsy, and probably is to this day). That's why we see SPG looking unimpressed. This is just his idea with changes that he doesn't see as particularly game-changing. Plus it's not like SPG wants his role challenged as party leader. But SPG is not wholly unreasonable and the others all see merit in Tarquin's new plan of setting up three empires on a continually rotating basis: Laurin and Miron are particularly on board, and Malack sees the merit as well.

How does the above sound?

EDIT: And what's more -- if SPG finds out that Tarquin knew about these gates and didn't send for him immediately, he's going to be ROYALLY ticked off. The gates are exactly the sort of thing SPG would be interested in, even if Taquin is busy being lost in his own self-image.

CaDzilla
2013-12-21, 09:35 AM
Laurin - Vaarsuvius (the aloof, intellectual caster)

In fact, such a conclusion to the current story arc would mean the last nail on the coffin for Tarquin's dignity as a villainous character.
SPG probably was thinking: "Aw no, not this story bull**** again." and then heard the plan and was impressed

Ramien
2013-12-21, 10:10 AM

No, she's a catgirl. That means she's bubbly, cute and hyper even while out murdering people... did you see her smile when she yanked the flying carpet out from its previous owner?

daryen
2013-12-21, 10:21 AM
At some point later, maybe all at once, maybe he was getting it bit by bit, Tarquin figures out the concept of ruling by proxy, which had never occurred to him up to this point. He then applies some improvements and trope-savvy enhancements, and presents it to the team as if it was a unique and original plan (which in his mind, it is -- he's still oblivious to the fact that he was the original patsy, and probably is to this day). That's why we see SPG looking unimpressed. This is just his idea with changes that he doesn't see as particularly game-changing. Plus it's not like SPG wants his role challenged as party leader. But SPG is not wholly unreasonable and the others all see merit in Tarquin's new plan of setting up three empires on a continually rotating basis: Laurin and Miron are particularly on board, and Malack sees the merit as well.

As a very slight modification, have it so that Tarquin does add something new: the multiple parties. Sure SPG had the idea of ruling through a patsy. What Tarquin added is the shell game with doing this on multiple kingdoms simultaneously. Then SPG is annoyed, but annoyed at himself for not thinking of that wrinkle, and annoyed that Tarquin figured it out before him.

That way we are giving credit to Tarquin for the new wrinkle that makes the whole thing work, but the rest of these ideas stand unchanged.

FWIW, I don't think any of this is gonna happen, but it is an awesome alternative interpretation.

HendoJ
2013-12-21, 11:25 AM

I tend to agree, but what if there isn't "a leader"? There's really hasn't been anything to indicate that team parent has anything resembling the structure of the order. In the Order Roy is very clearly the leader, for the simple reson the party started as an employee - employer relationship.

Remember, Tarquin had to call in favors for the pursuit. He needed a success from Nale to get Nale off the hook. with Malack. The group by all indications seems to be a group of equals.

It's entirly possible that Tarquin may be the best suited to "lead" a dungeon crawl; because of his armor class and hit point total. He has shown himself to be wholly unable to deal with setbacks.

Nilan8888
2013-12-21, 11:41 AM
As a very slight modification, have it so that Tarquin does add something new: the multiple parties. Sure SPG had the idea of ruling through a patsy. What Tarquin added is the shell game with doing this on multiple kingdoms simultaneously. Then SPG is annoyed, but annoyed at himself for not thinking of that wrinkle, and annoyed that Tarquin figured it out before him.

That way we are giving credit to Tarquin for the new wrinkle that makes the whole thing work, but the rest of these ideas stand unchanged.

FWIW, I don't think any of this is gonna happen, but it is an awesome alternative interpretation.

Actually yeah: that's something along the lines of what I was thinking. Tarquin actually DID improve on the idea, and the improvements made the difference. At which point, SPG is now ALSO resenting Tarquin: the intended fall guy of his original failed concept did him one better.

Onyavar
2013-12-21, 08:07 PM
Hm, I know how this forum is always overspeculating, but we don't even have hints about SPG's backstory. We don't know if he's Tarquins idol or underling or rival or boss...

We only know those few hints so far that could indicate that SPG might be the party leader. Or, he is something different. As your story is based on the unevidenced assumption that SPG is the leader, it's deep in the epileptic forest.

The Hints:
- Tarquin isn't leading. So far the Empire Cabal seems to work with the common goal, evil machiavellian logic, personal persuasion (which is why charismatic Tarquin gets sometimes of what he wants) and favors/debts when cabal members aren't easily swayed. --> That means: Either there is no leader, or it's... someone we don't know yet?
- SPG is suspiciously missing from all the action. First we knew nothing about everyone besides Malack and Tarquin. Then we could observe Miron, Jacinda and Laurin, working together. Why is the Giant omitting SPG? Because SPG is calling the shots?
- Tarquin told Elan that he's his party's leader, as Elan in his own. Megalomaniacally overestimating Elan's role? Or in fact the correct assessment?
- Tarquin is exceptionally delusional about being the center in his stories. Friends and enemies deride him because of this. Malack did it several times ("your's always like this" "showboating"), Miron as well ("story nonsense"), then Laurin ("you foolishly waste resources") and even Julio ("you think that...") Not only is Tarquin not the leader in their eyes - he is the fool. That looks like a counterpart to Elan.

There are odd observations that could be explained by the theory, but there are lots of answers that could explain those, too:
- Tarquin is very driven in beating Elan into submission. He says he is doing it so that the "real" story can get started. But why is he so blindly hurrying it?
- As we could observe so far, several people in the Empire Cabal are an authority type: I would claim that Malack, Tarquin and Laurin are leader material, Miron probably too. Jacinda seemed unfit although we haven't seen her a lot, and SPG is the big unknown. (contrast in the OotS: only Roy seems capable as a leader and military strategist). The Empire Cabal members clearly rival each other. How were they able to work together for twenty long years?

--------------
Now, we can go past those facts and observations and invent our own backstory for the Empire Cabal. But that won't be Rich's story.

Nilan8888
2013-12-22, 12:44 AM
Hm, I know how this forum is always overspeculating, but we don't even have hints about SPG's backstory. We don't know if he's Tarquins idol or underling or rival or boss...

It's true we don't know anything at this point and that it's early: we've only actually seen SPG in, I think, a total of 2 comics quite a distance apart. Way, WAY early yet.

But that said, I don't know that it's possible to 'overspeculate' unless you're telling Rich what to do with the story or something, or trying to bring speculation into reality. If it sounds good, why shouldn't we imagine it? Just as long as we concede that it's just speculation.

Rodin
2013-12-22, 01:08 AM
My theory is that The Giant needed enough evil characters to fill out the "Three empires" plot, and didn't decide what he was going to do with them until much later.

Shoulderpad Guy is actually That Guy With a Halberd putting in another shift as an OOTS Extra. Mr. Scruffy is actually his cat that he brought from home who got made an honorary cast member when Shojo found him cute.

Paseo H
2013-12-22, 07:13 AM
Incidentally, I was looking through earlier strips in the arc, and noticed here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html), panel 10. Is that SPD that Tarquin is talking to?

Since we're doing that whole "trying to extrapolate characters personalities from the few times we see them" thing, seems relevant.

Angel Bob
2013-12-22, 10:57 AM
Incidentally, I was looking through earlier strips in the arc, and noticed here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html), panel 10. Is that SPD that Tarquin is talking to?

Since we're doing that whole "trying to extrapolate characters personalities from the few times we see them" thing, seems relevant.

Ah, but that's not Tarquin, it's just one of his soldiers. Tarquin's military armour is much more extravagant and spiky and capey. :smalltongue: Plus, Tarkie was in the EoB the whole time.

Maryring
2013-12-22, 11:07 AM
To be fair, Redcloak clearly loved his siblings dearly, and did have perfectly normal family relations for a good long while before he worked himself into a corner. Just because he put his god and his plan before his family doesn't mean he didn't care about his family, it just proves that he's evil.

Not enough to choose him over Xykon.

Nilan8888
2013-12-23, 09:28 AM
- As we could observe so far, several people in the Empire Cabal are an authority type: I would claim that Malack, Tarquin and Laurin are leader material, Miron probably too. Jacinda seemed unfit although we haven't seen her a lot, and SPG is the big unknown. (contrast in the OotS: only Roy seems capable as a leader and military strategist). The Empire Cabal members clearly rival each other. How were they able to work together for twenty long years?

I think this is mostly because we've only seen them for a short period of time. Laurin, Malack and Miron look ok as leadership material right now, but would Haley, Durkon and Vaarsuvius feel any different so early on?

Plus, I'm not sure that Malack's overly civil nature would work well with on-the-spot-leadership.