PDA

View Full Version : DM in need of session help

lytokk
2013-12-17, 02:44 PM
Well, I didn't exactly write myself into a corner, but I didn't exactly set up the next session well. Pertinent information first. 3.5, my own campaign setting.

Long and short of the setting, over a thousand years ago, war in the outer planes breached the walls and spilled over into the material. As a result of the war, all gods, good and evil died. What followed was a thousand years of darkness in which the denizens of the abyss ran rampant across the world, but could only travel so far as lands that had been corrupted. It was a slow spreading process so it took a while. Eventually, some dragons were able to ascend to godhood, and took over the mantles of certain gods. Now, no one knows the dragons stepped into that role, or about the war in the outer planes. The corruption basically works as a disease for the initial infection, and then a few will saves to resist the corruption, for characters that is. If you become corrupted, your allignment changes to evil, and you become easily controlled by evil beings.

Now, the campaign, the group is part of a large caravan heading through the corrupted lands in order to start the consecration of the land, and rebuild a port town on the far end. It would be about a 5 month journey to the town, and then time to rebuild the port before the first ships land.

So far, the group has

Session 1) Cleared out a group of kobolds in a cave that was raiding smaller caravans. Mostly was just a game for the group to relearn combat mechanics

Session 2) Rescued an ogre who was lying near death off the road who is to this point still unconscious, made it to a small border town which had been razed to the ground, only to be chased out by a horde of zombies. This was more of a session for social mechanics as they interacted with the people in the caravan. Over 100 wagons, nearly 250 people (not counting warforged squadrons)

Session 3) snuck back into the border town in order to retrieve items that were lost during the hasty retreat. Rescued 2 of the clerics who were overwhelmed in the retreat (too many undead to turn was the reasoning I gave. It also served to show there was some sort of mind behind the attack, going for the clerics first). Found that a large group of ogres were behind the zombie raid, and that the new chief has an item of power to create and control undead.

And here I am at session 4. The PC's didn't destroy all of the ogres, and just hit level 3 in that session. The whole caravan is hold up in a forest which has some mysterious power to keep out the undead horde (fey did it, but no one knows that) but that's not going to keep out the ogres who they didn't kill. So obviously, they have to leave, but need to do so in a way that the ogres don't chase them down. I had an idea to send them underground, but threw that out of the window as I couldn't think of anything appropriate to encounter the caravan. Having to make sure its a challenge as well as make sure there's not a ton of collateral damage.

In my mind the magic undead item, is basically part of a lich's phylactery. Going with the voldermort route and having the lich split his soul into several different pieces. The lich will end up serving as the BBEG for the game, and if the PC's can destroy the phylacteries before meeting with him in his crypt, he'll have severely reduced power.

Now that split the soul idea came to me when a big problem associated with the campaign hit me, they're with a caravan. Coming up with ways of getting them away from the caravan was going to be difficult, cause why not let the squadron of guards and the high level captain finish off anything that attacks. The line of thinking, the ogre that the party rescued wakes up and tells them they were in the corrupted lands, when one of his tribe became corrupted himself, heard the call of the phylactery, retrieved it, and was dominated. I want a way of doing this without it seeming completely contrived. Magical healing wasn't doing anything up to this point, there's no drama in a simple cure spell curing a coma.

An idea I did just have was using the fey of the forest to aid in the escape by covering the caravan's leaving with illusions to distract the ogres. I'm really trying to avoid contrivance as much as possible. Coincidence, fine. Contrivance, not so much.

Anyway, what's the playground think about this? So far I know the party's having a good time, or at the very least are telling me they're having a good time. I know its somewhat of a railroad plot, but we've always favored story driven games as opposed to wide open sandbox. Since they're only level 3, kid gloves stay partially on, but they've been told once they hit 5, the gloves come off and I stop fudging rolls to keep them alive.

hymer
2013-12-17, 02:53 PM
Just some thoughts...

Waking up the ogre: His soul or mind could be on a journey, lost, and trying to come back. The other ogres may know what ritual needs to be done to help him. Or the fey.

Avoiding the ogres: How about luring the ogres into a large group of undead? They fight, and while the ogres limp off to lick their wounds, the caravan can head out.

Rama
2013-12-17, 03:07 PM
A few generic thoughts:

1) Rather than a lich/Voldemort style idea (assuming you aren't set on that), how about tying it in with the overall background of the world?

By that I mean, when the dragons ascended to godhood and began fighting back the demonic hordes, what if they ensnared some of the more powerful demon captains/lords on the material plane? Ensnared them in items not unlike the one the ogre chieftain has.

As an opening move, they deprived the hordes of their strongest leaders and beat them back significantly that way. But these lords are still present - just trapped. And while their influence is lessened, it can still be felt. This one could be a lesser lieutenant/captain to introduce the players to the possibility while still ramping up strength later. And you could have all sorts looking for them - liches or sorcerers seeking to exploit the power of the prisoners, doomsday cultists, other demons, and so on.

2) For this particular session, you could:

-Have the fey be present, but hidden. I'd imagine they start out fairly hostile to/angry at the PCs and caravan for bringing these ogres down on their homes. Could take some fast thinking by the PCs to make them friendlier. The illusion idea is nice, but I wouldn't spoon feed it to the PCs. Let them find the fey, deal with hostility, then come up with a plan on their own - they might surprise you with something really nice.

-If you don't want the fey present, you could go siege mode. Exploring the area could reveal an old and partially decayed fey town/fort. Give them X hours to prepare any defenses while the ogres gather, then attack.

-Again I wouldn't spoon-feed them this, but perhaps the ogre captured was a rival of the possessed chieftain. If they can convince him to assist (as a matter of honor for saving his life?), he could split the ogre tribe into factions and allow the PCs time to make a break for it. But I would not volunteer anything here, the PCs need to come up with it.

As for why he can't be revived, poison would work. Perhaps the fey can ID the cause and tell the PCs what they need to cure it (naturally something dangerous to get - a particular brand of cave moss from the cavern to the east?) if they care enough to pursue the thread.

lytokk
2013-12-17, 03:10 PM
I guess I didn't state it clearly enough, but the Ogres are controlling the undead. Well, the ogres are being controlled by a lich, who is also controlling the undead, but ogres are slightly more useful than their undead counterparts, which is why they're not already undead. Other than the new chief, all the ogres think the new chief is controlling the undead. The old chief was hinted at being killed in the game, when he was just the ogre they rescued, who still has need for recovery.

I do like the idea of his mind being on a journey, can realy go a different direction with his NPC character with that.

lytokk
2013-12-17, 03:33 PM
Also, the fey do need to be present at some point. One of the things I realized was that in all my years of DMing, I never did anything to set the PC's apart from the rest of the populace. Sure they have more levels, but never did they feel special. For that reason, I was going to give them all some sort of free +2 LA. The sorceress half-elf was going to find out that her estranged elven mom wasn't an elf, but in fact a nymph, and give her the fey-blooded template. The Psychic warrior was going to be the first in the line of new psions, from another dragon wanting to ascend, but was more psionic based and wanted to garner worshipers through the actions of the psychic warrior. He'd be getting a slightly modified Phrenic template, since I felt the one I found to be a little overpowered. The halfling rogue was supposed to be getting a shadow bloodline template, but she ended up taking the halfling bard's template, werefalcon. The Halfling bard, a modified doppleganger template. I think I balanced the templates out correctly.

So the fey do need to at least make themselves known somehow, in order to give the sorceress the item needed to awaken her bloodline.

HC Rainbow
2013-12-17, 03:42 PM
Lich Ogre Corpse Explosions.

Dispatch your own creatures by making them use an "attack".

I wound up throwing WAY too many wights at my PC's when a couple of them dropped into a pit and the rest waited up top, Didnt know they were gonna wait. Soooo I threw in a necromancer that was corpse exploding things. I thought it was humorous.

lytokk
2013-12-18, 08:17 AM
A few generic thoughts:

1) Rather than a lich/Voldemort style idea (assuming you aren't set on that), how about tying it in with the overall background of the world?

By that I mean, when the dragons ascended to godhood and began fighting back the demonic hordes, what if they ensnared some of the more powerful demon captains/lords on the material plane? Ensnared them in items not unlike the one the ogre chieftain has.

As an opening move, they deprived the hordes of their strongest leaders and beat them back significantly that way. But these lords are still present - just trapped. And while their influence is lessened, it can still be felt. This one could be a lesser lieutenant/captain to introduce the players to the possibility while still ramping up strength later. And you could have all sorts looking for them - liches or sorcerers seeking to exploit the power of the prisoners, doomsday cultists, other demons, and so on.

I wasn't married on the idea of a lich, but it just seemed to be the easiest option for me. Now that you've suggested the item imprisonment, I do like that one better. The only problem is finding enough demons or devils to pull this off. At least at the low CR the group is. For this story arc, I was thinking they'd be about level 6-8 by the time they got in the fight with the big bad of the story, so no pit fiends or balors. Was thinking an Erinyes would work as a big bad, the final leiutenant as it was. Lesser demons or devils would work as captains. This did give me a lot to think about so thanks. Now I just need to figure out what kind of evil creature is possessing the group of ogres. The only thing I know is it has to be powerful enough to create and control undead, which giving the party's level when fighting it, is going to be tough. Prb will only be level 4-5. CR 7 shouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibilities, considering they're getting an NPC cleric.

AMFV
2013-12-18, 08:20 AM
I wasn't married on the idea of a lich, but it just seemed to be the easiest option for me. Now that you've suggested the item imprisonment, I do like that one better. The only problem is finding enough demons or devils to pull this off. At least at the low CR the group is. For this story arc, I was thinking they'd be about level 6-8 by the time they got in the fight with the big bad of the story, so no pit fiends or balors. Was thinking an Erinyes would work as a big bad, the final leiutenant as it was. Lesser demons or devils would work as captains. This did give me a lot to think about so thanks. Now I just need to figure out what kind of evil creature is possessing the group of ogres. The only thing I know is it has to be powerful enough to create and control undead, which giving the party's level when fighting it, is going to be tough. Prb will only be level 4-5. CR 7 shouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibilities, considering they're getting an NPC cleric.

Also don't forget that they shouldn't actually fight the imprisoned big bad, it'll be much scarier if he's way out of their range, an Erinyes could be good, who's trying to free him, then have him be a Pit Fiend, let the players know that, so now they have a sense of urgency, they have to beat the Erinyes or the Pit Fiend will be freed.

Xintas
2013-12-18, 09:51 AM
Ok, I'm going to be relatively brief so as not to fill in too many holes for you.

I dig the Lich as that means the player's actions actually have an effect on how it plays out. Why not use this as a chance to separate the PC's from the populace and nip the "let the guards do it" problem in the bud? Guards cover the retreat of the caravan and the PC's have to step up and lead, organize a new guard of farmers/scrubs/w.e.

Now we have self determined PCs who feel more important to the plot and more important than the villagers. What to do about the Ogre?

Have a Fey wake him up! You are in a magical Fey forest and a character needs to get her Fey heritage, plus you need some Ogre intel but he is in a magical sleep? Sounds like a dryad needs to break some curses and bestow some knowledge.

Idea for your next session? The PC's sneak into the camp to steal the "mcguffin of undead bossyness" after the Ogre tells them what it does. Success means that the BBEG is weaker and that the attacking ogres are bogged down fighting skeletons instead of just trying to kill the party, so some of the guards survive.

I know that didn't really mesh with any of the earlier suggestions, but I had to offer up where I would go with it:smallredface:

lytokk
2013-12-18, 11:14 AM
alright, I'm going to pick and choose some stuff here. There's going to need to be some diplomacy between the groups, mostly handled by the PC's, with extra bonus's going to the sorceress who hasn't unlocked her fey heritage, but the fey can still sense it. The Dryad waking up the Ogre who fills in some of the information is good, so long as the pc's can diplomance themselves into a good standing.

Having them sneak back in, would in general be a bad idea. The last sneaking session only worked because the ogres didn't expect anyone, and only 2 members of the party have any stealth. Like serious "I forgot how sneaky halflings could be" stealth. The ogres would be on a much more serious lookout now, and I think it would end up with the party having to split up. But if the party decides to do this, I can't stop them.

I like the idea of having the denizens of the abyss trapped in items, but instead of the gods having done it, it would just be good to have the mortal races having taken care of it via arcane means. Heck, these creatures could have been trapped since before the war, and they're angry they missed out on it. It also gives me the opportunity to have an item sort of detailing what exactly is going on, such as a journal, which also keys them into locations of other items, which does what I need, splits them off of the caravan.

The item the ogres have is simply an amulet created by a necromancer, which was found by this old adventuring party, was slated for destruction, or research, and was the only item the party had on them when they began binding the hellspawn as opposed to destroying them, most likely by a wizard who was more interested in the can question as opposed to the why question. Wizard chronicling his studies, including the locations of the strongholds his party members and what demons they ended up binding to their items. Perhaps it was an evil group, and they bound the demons to fuel their items. That actually sounds better.

The amulet in question had, say, an erinyes bound to it. Was also thinking succubus could work for this, but was wanting to avoid the succubus, since they prb don't belong in a straight up fight, unless they break the amulet, freeing the succubus, who basically convinces the rest of the group to go after the remaining items with sealed demons/devils in them, either to free the demons, or to create her own little army. Either way works for me. Succubus convinces the party, erinyes races the party to the other items, yet lets the PC's remove resistance before stepping in to claim the item.

Thanks for helping me get past my writers block with some good ideas guys. I really appreciate it.