PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Empyreal Knight Fix Ideas?

Grey Watcher
2013-12-17, 09:48 PM
So, I was looking over the Empyreal Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/empyreal-knight), and I love the flavor: ascending to... angelhood, for lack of a better term.

But, of course, the mechanics are terrible. So I just thought I'd bat around some ideas that might help it:

Voices of the Spheres:

Either keep the standard Paladin's Divine Grace or at least have this be the angelic Truespeech ability. If you insist on giving up Divine Grace in order to talk like an angel, you might as well go all the way, and most of the things willing to talk to you speak one of a handful of languages anyway (ie Common, Undercommon, the core race's languages, and maybe Draconic).

Celestial Heart and Empyreal Champion:

The schedule at which these bonuses are doled out needs to be rethought. For example, gaining a fly speed (with average maneuverability no less!) should come at either Level 9 or 12, not 20. At bare minimum, I'd say put the Fly speed at 12, bump Immunity to Petrification up to 15, and just put Truespeech anywhere (either into the previously proposed alternate version of Voices of the Spheres or as window dressing on any of the other class features).

Celestial Ally:

Not sure why they thought taking longer to cast a less impressive and versatile version of something the Cleric can already do would be impressive.

One option is to have the Summon Monster spell-like be cast as if it had Extend Spell, Augment Summoning, and/or some other appropriate feat(s), remove the silly "only one creature may be summoned" restriction, and take it back to a standard action. If you're giving up class features to summon things, the least you can do is not embarrass yourself in front of the Druid.

The other fix is, of course, to open the floodgates and let the player choose from a much wider list of Spell-Likes, to emulate the dizzying array of spell-likes that angels in the bestiary have. Definitely more open to abuse, but I kinda like it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

(This isn't really for a campaign, just a "would be cool to play that someday" idea I have: use the Aasimar stats to play an amnesiac angel who, over the course of the campaign, regains his powers and finds out how he lost his memories and why he's on the Prime Material.)