PDA

View Full Version : [M&M2e] Stacks With Modifier question

tbergman92
2013-12-17, 10:56 PM
Hey,

I'm building an M&M2e character for a new game here on the boards--a speedster specifically. It's a PL3 game, and my sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=736551).

My question is as follows:
How does the "Stacks with" Modifier work? For example, does it allow me to bypass PL limits on my Speed power? More specifically, does it work as follows:

Speed 3;
Speed 3; Stacks with "Speed 3"; Action (Power Use)

To give me Speed 3 normally, and speed 6 if I take longer than a full action to move? I.e., Speed 3 in combat, and Speed 6 outside of combat?

I'm unfamiliar with M&M second edition, and not even fully versed in third edition, though I've played it much more. I don't have access to the M&M 2e books, just the 3e books and Hero Lab, so it's hard to figure out what the rules are occasionally.

Thanks for the help!

Beleriphon
2013-12-18, 09:06 AM
Hey,

I'm building an M&M2e character for a new game here on the boards--a speedster specifically. It's a PL3 game, and my sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=736551).

Question the First: Why such a low PL. Your character isn't really much of a challenge for the average cop to seriously injure.

My question is as follows:
How does the "Stacks with" Modifier work? For example, does it allow me to bypass PL limits on my Speed power? More specifically, does it work as follows:

Speed 3;
Speed 3; Stacks with "Speed 3"; Action (Power Use)

To give me Speed 3 normally, and speed 6 if I take longer than a full action to move? I.e., Speed 3 in combat, and Speed 6 outside of combat?

Answer the First: There is no "Stacks with" extra outside of HeroLab. The extra itself only allows HeroLab to stack two effects together to provide the total effect from the two.

Movement powers don't have PL limits. You can have Flight 20 with Space Flight 20 at PL1 if you want and the points are available. The only PL limits in M&M 2E are on attacks, saves, defense and skills. They are roughly analogous to M&M 3E although saves are PL + 5 while are skills are PL + 15 (before the stat bonus, so at PL10 it is possible to end up with +32 modifiers to some skills).

tbergman92
2013-12-18, 04:01 PM
Question the First: Why such a low PL. Your character isn't really much of a challenge for the average cop to seriously injure.

Answer the first: Because that's the PL the DM decided to go with, and I really want to play an M&M game--all the others canceled on me.

Answer the First: There is no "Stacks with" extra outside of HeroLab. The extra itself only allows HeroLab to stack two effects together to provide the total effect from the two.

Movement powers don't have PL limits. You can have Flight 20 with Space Flight 20 at PL1 if you want and the points are available. The only PL limits in M&M 2E are on attacks, saves, defense and skills. They are roughly analogous to M&M 3E although saves are PL + 5 while are skills are PL + 15 (before the stat bonus, so at PL10 it is possible to end up with +32 modifiers to some skills).

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I don't have the 2e book, so I was completely going off of hero Lab. (: Have a wonderful day.

Beleriphon
2013-12-18, 04:20 PM
Answer the first: Because that's the PL the DM decided to go with, and I really want to play an M&M game--all the others canceled on me.

That is very odd. You might want to inquire as to the idea there a bit more. I'm sure it will be fun, but I suspect the GM is going for a "normal dude" and then you get super powers later. Or at least more super powers.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I don't have the 2e book, so I was completely going off of hero Lab. (: Have a wonderful day.

I'm quite familiar with 2E M&M. I have most of the books in both hard copy and digital.

tbergman92
2013-12-18, 04:24 PM
I mean, that's pretty much his idea, if I understand. Pretty gritty, mostly realistic person with one or two powers that set you apart. And the heroes will gradually grow and become more powerful. Which isn't my ideal, perhaps, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've had fun building a good character in the constraints of PL3.

Tengu_temp
2013-12-18, 04:30 PM
To answer this question in a more general way, you can't bypass the PL cap in any way that doesn't explicitly allow it. The damage of a Mightly power is still limited by your PL, including damage/attack tradeoffs.

Jlerpy
2013-12-31, 01:02 AM
PL3 is peculiarly low, but if it works, it works. And I hope it's fun.