PDA

View Full Version : Epic Virtuoso/Bard songs--finding inspiration and making new ones

Optimator
2013-12-18, 02:30 AM
My DM has given me the go-ahead to design the epic Virtuoso progression for a character of mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11617597#post11617597). Even though the build I'm using is more spell-focused than music focused, I figured the Epic Virtuoso should focus on Virtuoso performances and Bardic music and the like. I could just take Incantatrix or something equally heinous and awesome (well nothing equals it but you get the idea), but I kinda like the six skill points and d6 health. Plus, the prospects of custom progression design are hard to beat.

I'm digging how it's going so far; a bonus epic bardic music feat here, Combine Songs there. I have it so I can periodically learn Bardic music abilities from other PrCs (and the base Bard, which certain Sublime Chords may have skipped) and alternate class features that are bardic music abilities.

Then I thought, "I should also make new, epic Virtuoso performances".

The question now: What to make?

The first thing I thought of was a greater form of Inspire Spellpower from RoS. Perhaps +3 to CL and DCs and it affects the user? Pretty powerful but I bet I could get away with it. Could I go further? Potentially, but I don't want to totally cheese it out, as it may look bad (as I'm designing the ability myself).

Maybe a song that creates an antimagic aura or dead magic zone? Freedom of Movement? The virtuoso gets a level six spell with True Seeing so level 8-9 spells are likely fair game.

I can't really think of much else. I bet I'll end up learning two of these epic songs, maybe three. So what ideas can you guys come up with?

Hiro Quester
2013-12-18, 12:34 PM
There are some creative suggestions, made by Sooth, in the design of the "disciple of Metal" or "Heavy Metal Bard (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1116756)" posted in a WotC forum.

The list includes "euphonies" and "cacophonies". Some of them are funny, creative and kinda awesome.

Examples: Use bardic music to:
*awaken the dead
*enable allies to continue fighting even after they die
*allies add + caster levels for spell power
*allies get +4 strength
*"Symphony of Destruction: deals 1d8 sonic damage per 2 class levels to everyone and everything within a 100’ emanation from himself (excluding only his own person)"

The description also includes some Epic Metal Bard feats and music uses:
*add Spell Turning to Inspire Greatness
*Activate the equivalent to some powerful cleric spells: Storm of Vengeance, blasphemy, holy word, word of chaos
*Use Irresistible Dance as a mass effect from a song.

A couple of others are worth quoting:

Deify (Su; 5 uses; DC 60):The Power of Metal is a gift from the Gods. The greatest of their gifts is the power of Godhood, if only for a time. By expending 5 uses of Bardic music and making a DC 60 Perform check, the Disciple of Metal may make himself and his allies unto Godlings for up to one round for each character level the Disciple has. He and his allies gain Damage Reduction 5/Epic, and may penetrate DR as if their natural or handheld weapons were Epic. They become Outsiders for the duration of the effect, eliminating their need to eat, sleep, or breathe. Finally, they become immune to Poison and Disease for the effect's duration.

*"Ten Thousand Fists (Su, Augment): Once again, Metal becomes a unifying force. When using Inspire Greatness or Inspire Heroics, the Disciple of Metal can target an additional number of people equal to his character level multiplied by his Charisma modifier, up to a maximum of ten-thousand (or five-thousand dual wielders). All extra targets must have less than one-half of the Disciple’s hit die."

The whole description is inspired fun; especially for Metal fans (which I'm not, really).

Optimator
2013-12-20, 04:05 PM
I just thought of one: An emanation of Wild Magic. The DC would have to be boosted for it to be relevant though. Perhaps equal to the perform check? Devious!

Optimator
2013-12-22, 08:16 PM
I think some sort of big area Deep Slumber effect with a perform-based DC could be useful and worth having as well. Since it's mind-affecting and sleep it probably wouldn't be overpowered.