PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Paladin

Harstrack
2007-01-17, 11:36 AM
I'm gonna play an adventure with a character that already exists, a paladin from a deity that has an exotic two handed weapon as her favorite. The problem is; my DM uses the UA Prestigious Paladin and have banished the core one. What do you think its beter for me to optimize my character

The requirements are:

Lawfull good
BAB: +4
Kn (religion) 4 ranks and Ride 4 ranks
Mounted combat
Able to cast protection from evil
Turn Undead
(I know its not as the book says, but the DM made its own requirements)

My character will be lvl 3 and I must make him survive becouse its a higer lvl adventure and he have died and now ressurected.
I have great ability scores:
STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 18
I must have at least 1 cleric lvl becouse its a cenario thing.
I trust you OotS followers!
Thanks in advance.:smallbiggrin:

Ramza00
2007-01-17, 11:41 AM
Prestige paladin is much better than paladin, take 3 lvls of it and you are golden. Especially with this feat.

See if you can get him to allow the feat Serenity from Dragon #306 Divine grace, lay on hands, evil and turn undead now work off wisdom and not charisma. Reduces MAD. Regardless Prestige Paladin is good.

Also would he allow you to take Fist of Raziel for 10 lvls?

Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 3/X1/Fist of Raziel 10 is a solid build.

Harstrack
2007-01-17, 11:53 AM
I forgot to tell that his deity is the Deity of batles! :D
But with this build I would have problems with lack of feats, Im gonna Have to pay fo EWP an TWF. First thing I thought was Cleric 1/ Fighter 4/ Prestigious Paladin (for some powers than maybe Hospitalar)
I was thinking about taking the Races of destiny feats for some OMFG I'm gonna die.

Runolfr
2007-01-17, 12:00 PM
I like the concept of prestige Paladins, but they lose the ability to cast Paladin spells -- they just advance in their divine caster class. Is there a fix for that?

MrNexx
2007-01-17, 12:02 PM
I like the concept of prestige Paladins, but they lose the ability to cast Paladin spells -- they just advance in their divine caster class. Is there a fix for that?

Add the paladin spells to them... either as spell-like abilities (in place of things like remove disease), or added to their previous spellcasting class list.

Toliudar
2007-01-17, 12:22 PM
Straight cleric for five levels seems like a pretty good survival option. Sure, it'll take one more level to get to BAB +4, but the caster level will be worth it. With your relatively low wisdom, you won't be great guns at beating people's saves, but it'll be great for all the buffs. Plus, with that Cha (and perhaps some extra turning?), Divine metamagic or divine spell power really become powerful options for you.

Incidentally, if this is a new build character, why are you starting lower because of resurrection?

Ramza00
2007-01-17, 12:51 PM
It says in Unearthed Arcana that if there are no other paladins in that world that prestige paladins can also cast paladin spells. Note this info is only in Unearthed Arcana and not at d20srd for it was one of those text boxes at the bottom of the page.

Harstrack
2007-01-17, 01:04 PM
I think you're right Toliudar.
I'm 3rd lvl becouse my DM is a master of tyrany and doesnt want to let me have a couple more lvls to be in pair with the rest of the party. He doesnt follow the "everyone having fun togheter" path, he's a great DM in the building part but not such a benevolent one.

Edit:
Hey Ramza00, isnt an oficial version of this feat, Dm doesnt allow non oficial material but everything that has the WotC printed on is ok!

Ramza00
2007-01-17, 01:28 PM
Edit:
Hey Ramza00, isnt an oficial version of this feat, Dm doesnt allow non oficial material but everything that has the WotC printed on is ok!

Technically Dragon is official WOTC material, but I know in my games (and other games I play as player), I do dragon on a case by case basis. Things like Chaos Monk are okay, inante of the faeire mysteries is definately not.

So good luck, maybe you can swing it by him :smallsmile:

Harstrack
2007-01-17, 01:34 PM
I'll try thanks!!! =D

BCOVertigo
2007-01-17, 01:39 PM

Are you talking about the feat from Dragon? Because I'm fairly certain that is official WotC material, seeing as they print the magazine...and every description of the magazine I can find says something like
"Dragon is the official source of information regarding all aspects of the Dungeons & Dragons hobby and provides D&D players with the tools, utilities, and excitement they need to raise the level of their play experience. Each issue features new spells, feats, magic items, game advice, and industry news, all designed with the Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast in mind."

Edit: Too late :(

tarbrush
2007-01-17, 01:46 PM
Im gonna Have to pay fo EWP an TWF.

Why on earth do you want two weapon fighting and exotic weapon proficiency? It's not like clerics/paladins are drowning in feats, and it'll make your MAD even worse to hit the DEX requirement for TWF.

You'll probably hear this a lot, but power attack with a greatsword is oodles better, so unless you're really sentimentally attached to TWF, I'd take power attack.

What weapon(s) are you aiming to use anyway?

Ramza00
2007-01-17, 01:55 PM
Are you talking about the feat from Dragon? Because I'm fairly certain that is official WotC material, seeing as they print the magazine...and every description of the magazine I can find says something like
"Dragon is the official source of information regarding all aspects of the Dungeons & Dragons hobby and provides D&D players with the tools, utilities, and excitement they need to raise the level of their play experience. Each issue features new spells, feats, magic items, game advice, and industry news, all designed with the Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast in mind."

Edit: Too late :(
And while I have already argued the pro-Dragon side, it is time to argue the non pro-dragon side to be fair. Dragon is official wotc material for Paizo Publishing (http://www.paizo.com/) has paid WOTC rights for the ability to put WOTC offical material on Dragon magazine, these two companies have come to a business accord. Paizo though is the one who designs and creates there material, wotc has nothing to do with it directly.

It is like the Star Wars/Pepsi commericals that aired next to episode I. George Lucas had little to do with the Pepsi commercial content, besides "leasing" out his rights to other companies to use the Star Wars name, logo, trademarks, etc.

Thus Dragon should be used on a case by case basis by DMs. But this isn't to say a case by case basis should be used for other products. There are several design teams producing there own products at the same time at WOTC and there is rarely any communication, the Complete Mage people didn't know what the Complete Scoundrel people were doing, and those people didn't know what the Dragonmarked people were also doing. Thus you can make some really obscene combos (celerity+dragonmarks anyone) due to a lack of communication that lead to some serious power creep. Additionally some really stupid feats/prcs are made, that don't have caps built in. For example Divine Metamagic, if it was limited to paying the metamagic of up to 3 spell lvls max it would be nowhere near as broken.

Harstrack
2007-01-17, 02:11 PM
Do you think maybe pious templar is a good option instead of going paladin?
Its has some paladin flavor, but focus more on combat.
And the TWF is a flavor thing becouse its the deitys favored weapon.

Ramza00
2007-01-17, 02:20 PM
Pious Templar is another good paladin class.

Remember from a optimization standpoint

Paladin 4/X 1/Pious Templar 1/Fist of Raziel 10/X 4 is always better than Paladin 20. (Pious Templar gets the paladin spell list and castings in 10 lvls instead of 20).

You can even fit some divine crusader lvls in there and use fist or raziel to progress that instead of pious templar and get 9th lvl spells. Pick the Luck Domain and you get Miracle 1+Cha times a day (remember Miracle has no xp components if it emulates other spells). Such a build will look like this.

Paladin 4/Fighter 1/Pious Templar 4/Divine Crusader 1/Fist of Raziel 10.

Matthew
2007-01-17, 03:59 PM
I think you're right Toliudar.
I'm 3rd lvl becouse my DM is a master of tyrany and doesnt want to let me have a couple more lvls to be in pair with the rest of the party. He doesnt follow the "everyone having fun togheter" path, he's a great DM in the building part but not such a benevolent one.

Eh? I wouldn't worry about starting a few levels lower than your companions. The way the experience tables work, you will soon catch up.

I would have gone with Fighter, if I was thinking about entering Paladin as a Prestige Class, especially given the Feat problems.