PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Instantaneous duration spells/effects like Alter Self with non-self target?

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 10:26 AM
Is there any spells, psionic powers or otherwise effects with an instantaneous effect that functions like Alter Self, but on somebody other than the caster? There's a player in my group who intends to take an extended break from the campaign, but will return afterwards, and thus, in-story, the character is going to go deep cover during the player's break, so I'm curious if, as the party utility caster (and spell-to-power Erudite), there's any spell or power I can research or "acquire" to assist the player's character in their mission.

I'm looking at instantaneous effects because those can't be dispelled, unlike permanent effects, and I'd like to avoid cosmetic surgery simply, in D&D surgery is kind of weird (in that there are no rules I know of for it).

Segev
2013-12-18, 10:36 AM
Not sure that it works here, but Bestow Curse can do a wide variety of things. While Alter Self duplication would be a weird one for it to pull off, consider that "I curse you to be an orc!" might well be valid...

If the DM is okay with that use of it, it is at least narratively reasonable.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 10:38 AM
I've considered that, but (A) its got a duration of Permanent, which means it can be detected by things like Detect Magic, and (B) making somebody who is about to into deep cover look like somebody else for the sake of said cover isn't really a curse, given that it's actually helpful, as opposed to harmful.

ericgrau
2013-12-18, 11:23 AM
The disguise skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/disguise.htm) can change you into a different race, gender and age category as long as you are roughly the same size. All without surgery. Spot checks are only made by suspicious people like that person's friends and guards. If you aren't disguising yourself to match a particular creature, that leaves only guards and such. A disguise kit gives a +2. Also thwarts true seeing.

Though you have to wonder why anyone would dispel you if they aren't suspicious. And if they are suspicious you may be screwed anyway. A hat of disguise can still go a long way.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 11:41 AM
The disguise skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/disguise.htm) can change you into a different race, gender and age category as long as you are roughly the same size. All without surgery. Spot checks are only made by suspicious people like that person's friends and guards. If you aren't disguising yourself to match a particular creature, that leaves only guards and such. A disguise kit gives a +2. Also thwarts true seeing.

Though you have to wonder why anyone would dispel you if they aren't suspicious. And if they are suspicious you may be screwed anyway. A hat of disguise can still go a long way.

Well, for a long-term deep-cover operation, you want something at least semi-permanent (hence the preference for an instantaneous duration), undetectable (hence, once again, the duration), and does not require multiple checks (which rules out Disguise, since long-term deep-cover operations will require the character to eventually change their disguise, possibly multiple times, particularly if they, say, decide they want to do something like take a bath). This is why I'm inquiring about instantaneous duration spells; in additional to granting a bonus to disguise checks, it also allows the character to be one specific individual (even if they're not impersonating a specific individual), and the blowback when physically switching back to their own original identity (say, with a second casting of the spell) would be minimal.

ericgrau
2013-12-18, 12:19 PM
It may be time to figure out how to become a shapeshifter. Su is magical but can't be dispelled. Can be detected though.

You can take a 10 on checks and those on watch are automatically considered to be taking a 10. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself you only need to have the higher modifier. Take baths privately and don't make personal contact? I dunno, it's tough without changing your race.

Deophaun
2013-12-18, 01:38 PM
Even an instantaneous transmutation spell would be not just detectable, but identifiable with a DC 20 + spell level Spellcraft check. This is one of the many reasons why mundane means of disguise are superior to magical ones when possible.

And no matter what, he's going to contend with DC 20 Sense Motive checks to avoid raising suspicion if he interacts with anyone for a minute or longer.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 01:40 PM
So, basically, the character is screwed, and there's very little I, the utility caster, can do about it. Guess it's time to go talk to the DM.

Snowbluff
2013-12-18, 01:53 PM
Isn't this what True Mindswitch is for? Hmm...

Maybe you should find a way to force a psion to do it for you?

HaikenEdge
2013-12-18, 02:00 PM
Isn't this what True Mindswitch is for? Hmm...

Maybe you should find a way to force a psion to do it for you?

So, basically, I'd have to (A) find a body the subject wants, (B) find a way to separate the victim's soul from its body, likely permanently, (C) True Mind Switch out of my body into the target body, then True Mind Switch into the player character's body, before True Mind Switching back into my own body, at a total cost of 30k XP, and (D) find a way to preserve the now mindless/soulless original body of the character sent undercover, so they'll have a body to return to when they finish the assignment.

Convoluted, but probably the best idea so far. Still would like something that doesn't require an extra body, but right now, does anybody have a way how to accomplish Step B of the plan outlined above?

Radar
2013-12-19, 07:41 AM
There is also Astral Seed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) power. It requires you to die each time you want to change your body and it takes 10 days to create it, but in conjunction with any polymorph spell it gives you exactly, what you need. Plus, it's cheap if a bit of a high level solution.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-19, 08:16 AM
The Ravenloft book Van Richten's Arsenal has the Philosophical Child. It's an alchemical homunculus that is an exact copy of a creature (aside from being a construct). They are explicitly used to replace people for spying/infiltration.
It is completely loyal to you and has a telepathic link with a 500ft range with it's creator.
You can even give it the memories and class levels of the copied creature, without compromising its loyalty.

The downside is that you need 3 feats, 15+ Int, a tissue sample of the creature you intend to copy, the ability to make a DC29 alchemy check and 20 days to make one. They cost 250xp and about 1000gp.

For another feat you can enhance them with special abilities like immunity to aging or the ability to use an (ex) Alter Self to assume the form of any number of creatures of the same type (as long as you provide a tissue sample for each).

Radar
2013-12-19, 08:48 AM
@sleepyphoenixx
If giving it memories and class levels of the target doesn't add a really hefty XP cost, then I can start to laugh like an evil overlord. So much potential for abuse...

The (Ex) Alter Self is just an icing on the cake.

Incorrect
2013-12-19, 09:37 AM
Reincarnate?
Perhaps research a version that allows for a specific race.

Of cause it has the small problem of dying first

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-19, 09:47 AM
@sleepyphoenixx
If giving it memories and class levels of the target doesn't add a really hefty XP cost, then I can start to laugh like an evil overlord. So much potential for abuse...

The (Ex) Alter Self is just an icing on the cake.

It doesn't. The suggested way is another alchemical item in the same book, costing 1200gp and another 3 feats. Any way to transfer the targets soul or memories will work though.
The suggested procedure requires killing the target, so no army of clones. At least, no army of clones with class levels (unless you use spells or effects to transfer the targets memories that work more than once).
Racial levels are kept though so if you kill a dragon and keep the body you can make an army of clone dragons if you have the time.

The process works on any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid or vermin and adds a template to the base creature which does the following:
- change type to construct
- change HD to d10
- +2 natural armor
- 20 acid resistance
- 500ft mental bond with its creator
- +2 strength & dexterity, no constitution (construct)
- same skills as the base creature (except int-based which it only gains if you transfer the targets memories)
- keep all special abilities and qualities
- Lifelike(ex) quality: ages normally and can eat, sleep & drink (but doesn't have to)
They can also gain experience and levels on their own.

The upgrade to Philosophical Child lets you choose up to 3 abilities from a list that includes immunity to aging, acid touch, the ability to turn into liquid, immunity to bleeding and regeneration of limbs, (ex) Alter Self or poisonous blood & bite attack.

So yeah, it costs 3-4 feats and it's useless if you're pressed for time.
Otherwise i'd say it's well worth the price.

Psyren
2013-12-19, 09:53 AM
Pathfinder has Disguise Other which will help for infiltration, but not "Alter Other."

HaikenEdge
2013-12-19, 09:57 AM
Been digging around on Google; while I'll look into the suggested Ravenloft solution, I'm kind of curious if whether Flesh to Stone > Stone Shape > Stone to Flesh would work as a form of crude cosmetic surgery. The character doesn't need to be some specific somebody, but needs to be any specific somebody, so a change in face and build could conceivably work.

Psyren
2013-12-19, 10:08 AM
Stone to Flesh "restores you to your normal state" so I don't think any alterations would be preserved. You can do this with an ordinary statue but not a petrified creature.

Darrin
2013-12-19, 10:39 AM
Convoluted, but probably the best idea so far. Still would like something that doesn't require an extra body, but right now, does anybody have a way how to accomplish Step B of the plan outlined above?

There's Doc Roc's magic jar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200516) trick.

There's also reincarnation... although getting your original body back might be a wee bit problematic.

How about... polymorph the target into something. Cast ice assassin to create a copy of the new form without a specific duration. When the polymorph wears off, put the original body into storage. When the ice assassin is done doing its whatever, offer to mind switch or magic jar its conciousness back into the original body.