PDA

View Full Version : I've got the fluff, help me with the crunch!

Logic
2013-12-18, 11:15 AM
So my DM has informed us that our next Pathfinder campaign will be a performance troupe. I've decided I am going to play a Prima Donna actor with a big ego problem (as in refuses to play bit parts, accepts only leading roles and villains in the plays etc.) I was thinking wizard or Sorcerer, but am still open to Bard, but I don't want to step on the toes of the other party members.

I am unsure exactly what class and race combination should go with this, and the DM is very open to just about anything. So far the rest of the party includes a PC half-elf bard, a PC blind half-elf oracle, a halfling NPC strongman/actor and his NPC wife, the troupe seamstress.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-18, 11:26 AM
Personally? I would just pick something, anything. You can make Prima Donna fit with a lot. Use Prima Donna as a lens to look at your chosen class (what does a Prima Donna rogue look like?), or use your chosen class as a lens for the Prima Donna concept (what does a Prima Donna look like when they're a rogue?).

Unexpected combinations can be great fun to think about, as well as a wonderful challenge. Plus, they're absolutely wonderfully unique when you play them.

As a plus, the Prima Donna concept works well irregardless of how good they are at acting, so you can pick whatever class you want, disregarding whether Perform is a class skill.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-18, 01:06 PM
Perhaps you should state why your character wants the spotlight. Does he wish to hone his craft? Does he just plain want attention? Does he want to become famous? Does he want to become rich? Is the attention compensating for something?

Logic
2013-12-18, 07:41 PM
Perhaps you should state why your character wants the spotlight. Does he wish to hone his craft? Does he just plain want attention? Does he want to become famous? Does he want to become rich? Is the attention compensating for something?

This character wants to be famous, because (in his mind) he is an artist, and one of the few that TRULY understand the craft.

I was looking at the PFSRD, and I am leaning towards the True Professional Rogue archetype. IT seems to fit the theme pretty nicely, and I don't expect to need the sneaks attack anyway. I am still open to suggestions though, so feel free to offer alternatives.

Spore
2013-12-18, 10:32 PM
Celebrity bard? It fits the bill, but it is utterly weak.

Abd al-Azrad
2013-12-18, 11:39 PM
Demagogue Bard would also work if you wanted some mechanic related to performing for others. I quite enjoyed playing one, being able to create spontaneous assemblies of commoners and inciting them to do stupid things.

I'm tickled by the idea of a Prima Donna Barbarian. She is perfectly pleasant so long as people lavish her with attention, but the second something goes wrong, she starts to see red...

TheThan
2013-12-19, 12:08 AM
How about a swashbuckling warrior of some kind ?
it makes perfect sense for a leading man. He could be a master stage fighter. The sort thats great with a bladebut has never been in a real sword fight.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-19, 12:44 AM
I suggest sorcerer. Who else would understand art better then someone literally born to it? The very essence of it is in your blood.

(And then take a flaw to be REALLY bad at all perform checks.)

Jay R
2013-12-19, 01:01 PM
Go read Scaramouche (or watch the movie).

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-19, 01:19 PM
I'm tickled by the idea of a Prima Donna Barbarian. She is perfectly pleasant so long as people lavish her with attention, but the second something goes wrong, she starts to see red...
I endorse this.

Telonius
2013-12-19, 01:22 PM

I think the Muppets have one of those. :smallbiggrin:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101105225934/muppet/images/2/23/MadEyedPiggy-MTM.jpg

Abd al-Azrad
2013-12-21, 01:26 AM
I think the Muppets have one of those. :smallbiggrin:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101105225934/muppet/images/2/23/MadEyedPiggy-MTM.jpg

Oh that is delightful. Throw in some Beast Totem rage powers, Intimidating Glare, Terrifying Howl... Maybe a few boosts to your ability to break things, like Smasher or Armor Ripper...

Basically she tries to perform her grand solo, hits a note a little sharp, and suddenly explodes into a shrieking, terrifying, set-destroying frenzy. Best show in town!