PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3e "Quantum Bubble" Power

wirehound
2013-12-18, 12:02 PM
It's my first time building a hero for M&M 3e, and I'd appreciate some advice or suggestions regarding how to structure a particular power:

Our hero can create "quantum bubbles" to various effect. They manifest as a perfectly spherical soap bubble, but are much tougher than they look.

The bubbles have 4 main functions:

1. Shield our hero (and optionally nearby allies).

2. Shield another person or person(s) at a distance.

3. Capture an opponent inside a bubble.

4. Allow our hero to float or fly while in a bubble.

5. Allow anyone within the bubble to become invisible to those outside.

6. Protect anyone in a bubble from environmental hazards.

My first instinct is to use the Create effect and make the bubbles actual physical objects. E.g. Quantum Bubble: Create 15, Impervious, Movable, Stationary, Limited: Only Hollow Spheres. 46 Points

Then add Flight 4 (30mph) and Concealment 2 (Visual, Affects Others, Increased Range 2: perception, Shapeable Area 10). Both of these only work when enclosed in a bubble.

Building the power this way brings up a few questions:

1. How is the volume of the Create effect calculated? Is it the volume of "stuff" created, or the volume enclosed by the "stuff". For example, a solid sphere 8ft across is 268 cu. ft. A hollow sphere 8 ft across and 1" thick is only 17 cu. ft. of "stuff", but it encloses the same 268 cu. ft.

2. How many bubbles can our hero create at once? This isn't specifically addressed in the Create effect. Create 15 gives a maximum volume of 32,000 cu. ft. Does that mean one can create multiple objects up to that maximum volume, or only one at a time? Would multiple objects require the Continuous modifier?

3. How to handle requiring a bubble for Flight and Concealment? This doesn't seem like enough of a drawback for the Limited flaw. Perhaps a Quirk like Quirk: Only Inside Quantum Bubble.

4. Since the Create effect would make a presumably airtight solid object, would it protect those inside from poison gas, bad smells, high winds, vacuum, etc. as part of the Create effect? Or would this require Immunity (Environmental, All Suffocation, Affects Others, Increased Range) with the same Quirk as Flight and Concealment?

If it's not done with Create, the other option would be to do it with Protection, Snare, Flight, Concealment, and Immunity. The problem with this is how to protect others. If I add Affects Others and Increased Range to Protection, do I run into PL problems with adding Protection 15 (Impervious) to a teammate who already has Protection 10? I liked the Create option because it doesn't feel like cheating since the protected person can't attack while they're protected by the bubble.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to structure the power. I'm not sure whether Linked powers or Alternate Effects would be appropriate in this case, but I'd like to hear from someone with more experience.

Thanks!

As a side note, it appears to me that the Distance and Volume ranks are disproportionate. For example, one rank of the Burst Area modifier is a 30ft radius (Rank 0 distance) sphere, which is 113,000 cu. ft. (Rank 17 volume). One rank of the Shapeable Area modifier is a 30 cu ft. volume (Rank 5), which is just under a 2ft radius (Rank -3 distance) sphere. Two ranks of Burst is 60ft radius (Rank 2 distance) and 904,000 cu. ft. (Rank 20 volume), while two ranks of Shapeable is 60 cu. ft. (Rank 6 volume) and 2.4ft radius (still Rank -3 distance).

wirehound
2013-12-18, 03:45 PM
I'd like to post this to the Atomic Think Tank forums too, but I can't figure out how to register. I've read some older posts at ATT about the forums being temporarily closed due to spam, but they're dated from spring/summer 2013. Can't believe they haven't resolved the issue in 4+ months.

If anyone here at GITP has an account at ATT, would you mind PMing a moderator and asking how a new member is supposed to register?

Thanks!

Elderand
2013-12-18, 04:54 PM
It's my first time building a hero for M&M 3e, and I'd appreciate some advice or suggestions regarding how to structure a particular power:

Our hero can create "quantum bubbles" to various effect. They manifest as a perfectly spherical soap bubble, but are much tougher than they look.

My first instinct is to use the Create effect and make the bubbles actual physical objects. E.g. Quantum Bubble: Create 15, Impervious, Movable, Stationary, Limited: Only Hollow Spheres. 46 Points

Then add Flight 4 (30mph) and Concealment 2 (Visual, Affects Others, Increased Range 2: perception, Shapeable Area 10). Both of these only work when enclosed in a bubble.

1. How is the volume of the Create effect calculated? Is it the volume of "stuff" created, or the volume enclosed by the "stuff". For example, a solid sphere 8ft across is 268 cu. ft. A hollow sphere 8 ft across and 1" thick is only 17 cu. ft. of "stuff", but it encloses the same 268 cu. ft.

2. How many bubbles can our hero create at once? This isn't specifically addressed in the Create effect. Create 15 gives a maximum volume of 32,000 cu. ft. Does that mean one can create multiple objects up to that maximum volume, or only one at a time? Would multiple objects require the Continuous modifier?

3. How to handle requiring a bubble for Flight and Concealment? This doesn't seem like enough of a drawback for the Limited flaw. Perhaps a Quirk like Quirk: Only Inside Quantum Bubble.

4. Since the Create effect would make a presumably airtight solid object, would it protect those inside from poison gas, bad smells, high winds, vacuum, etc. as part of the Create effect? Or would this require Immunity (Environmental, All Suffocation, Affects Others, Increased Range) with the same Quirk as Flight and Concealment?

If it's not done with Create, the other option would be to do it with Protection, Snare, Flight, Concealment, and Immunity. The problem with this is how to protect others. If I add Affects Others and Increased Range to Protection, do I run into PL problems with adding Protection 15 (Impervious) to a teammate who already has Protection 10? I liked the Create option because it doesn't feel like cheating since the protected person can't attack while they're protected by the bubble.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to structure the power. I'm not sure whether Linked powers or Alternate Effects would be appropriate in this case, but I'd like to hear from someone with more experience.

Thanks!

As a side note, it appears to me that the Distance and Volume ranks are disproportionate. For example, one rank of the Burst Area modifier is a 30ft radius (Rank 0 distance) sphere, which is 113,000 cu. ft. (Rank 17 volume). One rank of the Shapeable Area modifier is a 30 cu ft. volume (Rank 5), which is just under a 2ft radius (Rank -3 distance) sphere. Two ranks of Burst is 60ft radius (Rank 2 distance) and 904,000 cu. ft. (Rank 20 volume), while two ranks of Shapeable is 60 cu. ft. (Rank 6 volume) and 2.4ft radius (still Rank -3 distance).

Ouh boy, you did not pick up an easy one for your first go.

1st : I believe the volume is the volume the object occupy in space, not the volume of stuff created.

2nd: you can create multiple object up to your maximum volume. You get only one standard action so you can only move one of those at a time.
Making the effect continuous would only help in the sense that you wouldn't need to concentrate on them to keep them existing. But you can concentrate on all of them at the same time.

3rd: I think flight and concealement would warrant a flaw. They are linked effect but only work on thinsg inside the bubble.

4th: that a question of descriptors mostly. to be safe you need an immunity 10 (life support), sustained, affect others and so forth.

It might be easier to not use the create option and use the others effect.
For the protection of others you could simply use the deflect power.

I recomend you look at the atomic think tank board for different versions of green lantern.

Here is mine for exemple : http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37223&start=105#p714493

wirehound
2013-12-18, 09:51 PM
Thanks Elderand! Those examples are very helpful.

It looks to me like the ATT forum isn't accepting new users. There's no link to "register". Do you know how to register now? If not, would you mind asking and letting me know?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-18, 11:46 PM
If I remember correctly, ATT had a problem with spambots a while back, and I don't think they ever turned registration back on.

So an array, then

You could do that with Create or with Deflect, depending. You'd need Selective Create if you wanted it to be able to shoot out of it, though. You might also use Protection (Also Affects Others), although that wouldn't work too well on allies.

Create or Affliction.

You could use Create, Movable to do this, although you run into the aforementioned issue of shooting out. I wouldn't use Fly (Affects Others), though-- I think that gives them the ability to choose their own flightpath, which wouldn't match what you're after.

Concealment (Also Affects Others), yeah.

Immunity, Sustained, Area?

I'd say calculate the sphere as a whole, ignoring the hollow part-- the math gets too complex otherwise.

You can make as many as you want, provided you don't switch to a different power in your array. (Probably- there's a discussion about this on the Older D&D and Other Systems subforum)

I think it'd be a full limit, since everyone has to stay close to you-- normally you could touch 'em and they'd fly off on their own.

It'd require the added Immunity, yeah-- you're adding a mechanical function. I'd probably allow it as a "free" power stunt (ie, no extra effort required) at my table, though.

Deflect-- the drawback there is that you're giving up actions.

Shapeable is... weird. We don't like to talk about it. Get a Selective Burst Area instead.