PDA

View Full Version : [PF]TWF Elven Paladin... gah.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-18, 12:18 PM
Once again here I am, asking for help - and this time, I'm fairly certain there's just no way to pull this off, at least anyway close to what I'm envisioning. I'm asking on the off chance I'm wrong, but... I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want an elven paladin riding a wolf dual wielding, preferably a longsword and a shortsword.

This is a character I built way back in 3.0e, I really enjoyed her then, but unfortunately, she died. (You can probably already guess why.)

So, feeling nostalgic I decided to try playing her again... and I've run into a brick wall; one that I simply did not recognize as being there when I first built her way back when.

The problem:

This set up is utter MADness. You need str, dex, con, wis and cha by default. That's even worse than a Monk, and Monk's are notoriously bad about this kind of thing.

Worse still, the campaign I'm wanting to do this for is 15 point buy and starts at level 1. Starting at level 1 I can of course deal with, it just means I won't be dual wielding right away; but 15 point buy is trickier.

Now, I had a good long think about this and was able to reduce the MADness a bit; but it's still... difficult. In fact I still don't think it really works at all; before one even considers serious optimization of any sort.

Strength - I can drop this to a degree by using Weapon Finesse and (when gold allows) get some Agile weapons down the line. Obviously this means giving up the Longsword for something else - I'll live with that even though I don't like it; there's enough issues with this character that I'm going to have to sacrifice something to even try to make it work.

The problem of course is... you need Strength to carry your gear; and one thing I've learned over my years playing D&D, it's that gear is pretty darn heavy unless you're a wizard or monk. Even then it can weigh quite a bit.

There is a magic belt that might work to alleviate that problem; but there's no guarantee I'll ever get it, or if I do, that it won't just get destroyed or stolen or something.

Still, this is probably the second easiest problem to solve.

Dexterity - Need at least 15 to make it work. I know there's a magical glove that allows you to dual wield without the feat, but I hate the idea of relying on something like that for a central aspect of my character. (Besides, there's always the probability I simply won't ever get that item either by luck or purchase.)

If I go Finesse and Agile weapons, then this really needs to be as high as it can go anyway.

On the upside, as an elf there's +2 Dex, so I don't have to push this particularly hard to meet my minimum. So that's good.

Constitution - It's going to be low, there's just no two ways about it. I'm an elf, so -2 to start with, and I don't have a ton of points to throw at it to begin with, so it'll be no higher than 12, tops. Probably a 10. Don't like being that fragile, but I don't see an alternative.

Intelligence - Dump stat; but I can't stand playing 'stupid' characters, so I'm going with a 10 in it. That's easy enough since I've got a +2 to Int from being an Elf.

Wisdom - Dump stat thanks to Warrior of the Holy Light archetype. It's not so much that it's a great archetype; but it gets rid of Wisdom as an important stat for me, and that's gold.

Charisma - Another big big stat, probably even more important than Dex for this build since it powers so many Paladin abilities.

So this leaves me with something like -

Str - 12
Dex -16
Con - 12
Int - 10
Wis - 10
Cha - 15

At level 1 I figure I take Weapon Finesse right off the bat and wield a short sword and shield until 3rd level when I can take TWF.

So at 3rd level I'm basically where I wanted to start at; and I feel like I'm going to be behind the curve most of the rest of the way too, in part due to TWF's inadequacies and in part due to my choice of class not meshing especially well with it either.

----

Still, I feel like even with all that, this isn't going to work.

I don't suppose anyone has another way to make this work? Right now I don't feel like it's even worth submitting, which stinks because I really like the character.

Greenish
2013-12-18, 12:26 PM
Finesse and relying on smiting for damage and mount for carrying stuff seem like the way to go.

Though, if there happened to be a paladin-ish archetype for the ranger, that'd solve a lot of your problems, hmm…

Psyren
2013-12-18, 12:30 PM
Why do you need Strength? Are haversacks or other extraplanar storage not available in your games? By the time encumbrance starts being an issue you should have one, or just get your mount to carry everything you don't immediately need. You should be wearing light armor anyway - not just because it's easy to carry, but because it will have a high Dex cap.

As you noted, the Longsword in the MH is probably going to have to go; You need something finessable for Agile to work with it, and if you dual-wield light weapons you can squeeze even more damage out by using Piranha Strike. They'll be slightly lighter in terms of mass too, which will help with your encumbrance woes. The upshot of course is that being Dex-focused, you can switch-hit with a bow, and with Smite adding to your ranged damage and auto-bypassing DR you'll make a formidable archer even without many archery feats (not to mention your spells.)

You really don't need more than 14 Cha though you can squeeze it to 16 if you really want, but at 15 PB I wouldn't. For a build like this I would focus on Dex and Con above all else.

At 15 PB I would be at:

Str 10
Dex 15 (17) <---- all increases here
Con 14 (12)
Int 10 (12)
Wis 8
Cha 14

And at early levels you can switch between archer and melee as needed for enemies that might be dangerous to melee before your toys come online.

Heliomance
2013-12-18, 12:35 PM
See if the DM will let you use the 3.5 feat Devoted Tracker, from Complete Adventurer IIRC. It's a Ranger/Paladin multiclass feat, and using Ranger to get the TWF tree lets you ignore the dex prereqs.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-18, 12:43 PM
My big concern with encumbrance is armor. Even just a chain shirt is 25lbs <. .> it doesn't take much for that to go over light load. That and the mount won't show up until 7th level most probably. (Wolves aren't Large until 7th, so even if I get DM permission to have one I (probably) will need to wait that long to actually summon it.)

Piranha strike looks good though, that would help for certain.

Other stuff also looks very nice < . .> That should help!

--

@Heliomance - Hrm, hadn't really planned to multiclass, but that's definitely something I'll think about for sure!

stack
2013-12-18, 12:43 PM
Pf paladins don't need wis for casting anyhow, so you don't need to trade away spellcasting if dumping wis. oath of vengeance is a good way to get more smites.

Also, mule back cords and MW backpacks are helpful for weight.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-18, 12:46 PM
Pf paladins don't need wis for casting anyhow, so you don't need to trade away spellcasting if dumping wis. oath of vengeance is a good way to get more smites.

Also, mule back cords and MW backpacks are helpful for weight.

I... feel like such an idiot. How did I not know that?!

Well then. That's spiffy.

Sometimes when I post here I seriously feel dumb <;_;> Things I really think I've got nailed down turn out to just be plain old wrong.

ArqArturo
2013-12-18, 12:53 PM
Also, if the DM allows it, try and see if you can get levels in Fist of Raziel, from Book of Exalted Deeds for more Smite Evil shenanigans.

Snowbluff
2013-12-18, 12:58 PM
You mean Revenant Blade. It describes precisely what you are trying to do. :smalltongue:

Personally, I would suggest TWF Lance and the Trick Riding line of feats, which ends in a feat that allows full attack charges IIRC.

Don't take Greater TWF.

Greenish
2013-12-18, 01:00 PM
You mean Revenant Blade. It describes precisely what you are trying to do. :smalltongue:Except for a distinct lack of paladin-ness.

Snowbluff
2013-12-18, 01:02 PM
Except for a distinct lack of paladin-ness.

You can enter with paladin. You do lose some smiting, though. Either way, the Valenar have the "TWF mounted warrior" schtick cornered.

Greenish
2013-12-18, 01:13 PM
You can enter with paladin. You do lose some smiting, though.You'd also lose mercies, casting, mount advancement, Lay on Hands, well, everything a paladin does.

Either way, the Valenar have the "TWF mounted warrior" schtick cornered.The PrC is awesome, yes, but it really has nothing to do with paladins or mounted combat.

Snowbluff
2013-12-18, 01:19 PM
You'd also lose mercies, casting, mount advancement, Lay on Hands, well, everything a paladin does.
Smite and the mount are the only abilities relevant to this objective. Like all PrCs, it's a trade off. Deal with it. :smallcool:

The PrC is awesome, yes, but it really has nothing to do with paladins or mounted combat.

The Valenar are known for their steeds.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-18, 01:30 PM
The PrC in question is pretty cool; but sadly not really what I'm looking for < ._.> Appreciate the idea though!

I think really with a couple of tweaks from upthread I've got what I need to make this workable. Much appreciated all, and my apologies for being kind of a Captain Oblivious here <@.@> still can't believe I got paladin casting wrong.

Psyren
2013-12-18, 01:36 PM
You can always get more Str by dropping Int to 8 (will become 10 with racials, elfs r smurt). But I personally wouldn't, the skill points will be much more valuable in the long run as you can then afford to max Perception, Ride and 1 more (2 more with skill FC bonus.)

Greenish
2013-12-18, 01:38 PM
Smite and the mount are the only abilities relevant to this objective. Like all PrCs, it's a trade off. Deal with it. :smallcool:No! I want to have my cake and eat it! :smalltongue:

The Valenar are known for their steeds.Yes, but they're mostly mounted infantry skirmishers and guerillas. Case in point, the only thing in Revenant Blade at all related to mounted combat is that one of the prerequisite feats adds +1 damage when mounted. They don't even have mounted combat feats selectable on their floating list. (Because the deal with the Valaes Tairn is that they're trying to emulate their ancestors, who fought a long guerilla war against the far more powerful giant empires of Xen'Drik, and glorious cavalry charges are somewhat rare in a guerilla war.)

As a side note, I'm kinda bummed how badly one-hander and light weapon combo fares in PF.

ArqArturo
2013-12-18, 01:51 PM
No! I want to have my cake and eat it! :smalltongue:

Something, something GlaDOS :smallbiggrin:.