PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Rogue

Misticwalker
2013-12-18, 01:28 PM
Looking for some advice from more advanced players, i am playing a custom rogue our dm made but need some advice on feats to pick.

My stats are as follows:
Str 15
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 15
Wis 12
Cha 19

I did a half fiend (succubus) with the other half as a nymph. which is why my charismia is so high. He has some custom feats he built but im looking for good rogue feats like improved int and others so i have a wider range. Any advice?

Telonius
2013-12-18, 01:56 PM
How "custom" is this custom character? If you're using just the base creature, Nymph has 6 racial hitdice and a Level Adjustment of +7. Adding Half-Fiend on top of that brings the Level Adjustment up to +11. So, at 1st level, you're starting as (basically) level 18: 1 level of Rogue, plus 6 racial hitdice, plus 11 level adjustment. Using the standard rules, you have two more levels to play around with before you hit 20.

This is (to put it mildly) a completely awful setup for a powerful character. Is the DM using any sort of reduced level adjustment, ignoring racial hitdice, or some other houserules?

Corinath
2013-12-18, 02:06 PM
Second this being a pretty bad set up, given the +7 or +11 LA. For a pure rogue, I don't think I'd take more than 1-2 LA, and that's with Buyoff.

Google "Rogue Handbook". It's a great place to start.

That being said, don't waste a feat on Improved Initiative. Take 1 level of Cloistered Cleric instead. Travel/Knowledge Devotion grants Pounce and Potential attack bonuses, Time Domain grants Improved Initiative, and True Strike as a spell.

Then pepper in some Swordsage here and there. Some DMs house-rule that Kung Fu Genius (feat) will apply to Swordsage's AC bonus, thus letting your AC get better if you have a really good Int score.

If you don't mind another dip, 2 levels of Martial Monk with the Invisible Way grants you 1 in every 4 rounds invisibility, Weapon Specialization, and one more Fighter Feat. Probably Weapon Finesse, but maybe not.

Make sure to boost UMD for wands. A Wand of Polymorph is pretty awesome for getting Kelvzu with +8d6 Sneak Attack when you want it (though it takes a couple of rounds to set up. You need "Outsider" as a type first, which is done via a Wand of Infernal/Holy Transformation)

Xintas
2013-12-18, 02:13 PM
Lets ignore the racial stuff to start. Tell us what you are trying to do with the character? Without that, we can only tell you what busted builds we have read about/played/seen.

As for the racial stuff, what racial abilities and such did he give you, or is it mostly a "We call it nymph but really is elf with some Cha tacked on"?

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-18, 02:55 PM
Also, that's a long way to go for 19 Charisma. I know power levels vary, but if someone sunk this much character gen resource into being a Cha wonk, I'd start them at 16 and add racials from there. 19 is a good stat for, say, a Jaebrin or something with a +2 to Cha (Star Elf?) that wanted to focus on Charisma. It's absolutely not great for a half-succubus nymph, which should be getting at least a +10 racial modifier to Charisma. YMMV, but this seems strange to me.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-18, 06:34 PM
If you pare down that LA/RHD (or ignore it), take Craven from Champions of Ruin. It adds your level to your sneak attack. And that multiplies on crits since it's a static modifier.