PDA

View Full Version : Balancing a Kaorti Encounter

Chester
2013-12-18, 02:46 PM
I've decided to use Kaorti and their abberations--Skybleeders and Rukanyr--in my upcoming campaign.

However, the party is 5th level.

I need to make the Kaorti themselves stronger and the monsters a bit weaker.

Any suggestions on the best way to do that? How do I fairly balance these encounters, aside from waiting until higher levels.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-18, 04:18 PM
A couple ideas jump to mind.

1.) The monsters are already engaged in combat and have been wounded. This may also involve help from npcs; but note that too many npcs can slow down combat a great deal. Nice opportunity to pre-roll stuff or otherwise just have units take 10 on attacks or something to streamline stuff.

2.) Give the kaorti a better stat array. Elite array is worth +1 CR. I usually houserule max hp as +1 CR too, but it depends on op-levels, as high-op groups will blow through extra hp with ease.

3.) Give the kaorti consumable buffing items that they have already used when the encounter begins. Potions, scrolls, skull talismans, necklace of fireballs (used during the fight), and mostly depleted wands all make the kaorti stronger, while not handing the party a boatload of resources if they are victorious. Have this buffing gear be in addition to the normal kaorti gear; it's hardly fair to have a tougher monster that has less usable gear precisely because it is tougher.

4.) Combine the weaker kaorti with environmental dangers. Perhaps there is an acid rain falling outside. Only under the trees is safe; characters moving from tree to tree or fully exposed take acid damage each round. Perhaps the kaorti are on a moving platform of some kind and using ranged attacks as the party approaches; the party must soak up a couple rounds worth of damage before even reaching their targets.

5.) For the bigger monsters, you can always brew up some weaker/immature options. For instance, cut HD by 1/3, reduce feats and skills accordingly, and lop off a few CR.

Finally, a push for the madness factor. A big part of involving the Far Realm in a plot is to accentuate the alien nature of what goes on there. Why are the kaorti spilling acid all over? Well, obviously it's because the trees are an infection, and if the wound isn't treated, they will soon start colonizing the flesh, with roots and branches growing out your ears and eyes, fleshy stalks the flutter about, despite the utter lack of breeze. Beware the trees, kids.

With enough insanity-inducing bizarro world stuff, the pcs will start to behave in strange ways, being either really cautious, really curious, or maybe just a tad too excited about the drool-inducing nature of the Far Realm. This is total win in flavor, and can be great, highly memorable fun.