PDA

View Full Version : [Silly thread] Creatures that have deceptively high or low physical scores

ShippoWildheart
2013-12-18, 02:48 PM
I figure we should have a thread joking or being amused at the physical scores of some of the creatures in the games that makes the laws of physics cry.

This was brought to my attention when I looked at the stat block for a Pathfinder owl. The following stats:

Tiny animal
Height = 1-2 feet
Weight = 1-8 lbs

A tiny creature with STR of 6:
Light Load: 10 lbs
Medium Load: 20 lbs
Max Load: 30 lbs
Over Head: 30 lbs
Off Ground: 60 lbs
Push/Drag: 150 lbs

*Edit: Added in carrying capacity of a medium creature with 6 STR for comparison's purpose:

A Medium creature with a STR of 6 would have essentially double the carrying capacity, so the above would be compared with this:

Medium Creature with STR: 6
Light Load: 20 lbs
Medium Load: 40 lbs
Off Ground: 120 lbs
Push/Drag: 300 lbs*

So according to all this, Hedwig can carry around more than one textbook and fly around with it without trouble, can push off it's body a normal sized dog, and can drag and push around your average unconscious person around. The visual hilarity is great.

I wonder what else in the monster manual or bestiary has ability scores that makes a creature seem like a total flabby weakling, or seem more befitting in a Saturday cartoon.

Venger
2013-12-18, 03:01 PM
Are you remembering to divide due to the animal's size category?

I don't know how PF does it, but in 3.5, small or smaller creatures have proportionally lower carrying caps than mediums and large or bigger ones have larger ones.

mine will likely be secrets of xen'drik's jungle giant with its dex of 28. if you need to do dex-based skill stuff or backflip away from dragon breath as a momf or the like, this is a fine form to take.

Greenish
2013-12-18, 03:12 PM
I don't know how PF does it, but in 3.5, small or smaller creatures have proportionally lower carrying caps than mediums and large or bigger ones have larger ones.In both 3.5 and PF, smaller creatures have proportionally larger carrying capacity. :smalltongue:

ShippoWildheart
2013-12-18, 03:14 PM
Are you remembering to divide due to the animal's size category?

I don't know how PF does it, but in 3.5, small or smaller creatures have proportionally lower carrying caps than mediums and large or bigger ones have larger ones.

mine will likely be secrets of xen'drik's jungle giant with its dex of 28. if you need to do dex-based skill stuff or backflip away from dragon breath as a momf or the like, this is a fine form to take.

Using Myth-Weavers, it already did factor in the size when calculating carrying capacity. The original carrying capacity for a Medium 6 STR creature would have been double of what I listed. :smallbiggrin:

*Edit: adding in carrying capacity for a medium creature

Medium Creature with STR: 6
Light Load: 20 lbs
Medium Load: 40 lbs
Off Ground: 120 lbs
Push/Drag: 300 lbs

Shining Wrath
2013-12-18, 03:21 PM
When weight is going down by a factor of 8 but strength is only going down by a factor of 2 weird things are bound to happen.

Trasilor
2013-12-18, 04:10 PM
Your example is not the best choice.

The Owl described in 3.5 is 1-2ft long with a 6ft wingspan. This describes a typical Great Horned Owl.

The Great Horned owl weighs in 3 lbs but can easily (and routinely) lift 3-4 time this weight. Similar to its monster entry

One could equate the Push/Drag amount amount to an equivalent thrust.

Besides, push/drag amount is much more of an equation of friction and inertia than weight (I can easily push a car, bookshelf full of D&D books on carpet? not so much :smallamused:)

Source:
Quick Google Search led me here (http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/snp/programs/education/animal_facts/mammals/great_horned_owl.html)

Slipperychicken
2013-12-18, 05:46 PM
I believe that an owl (or similar creature) can only fly while carrying a light load or less, so the article makes even more sense considering that the owl'd light load is 10lb. I'm not sure where I read that rule though.

Using Myth-Weavers, it already did factor in the size when calculating carrying capacity. The original carrying capacity for a Medium 6 STR creature would have been double of what I listed. :smallbiggrin:

To be fair, a medium-sized Strength 6 creature is extraordinarily weak, only having ~2/3 the carrying capacity of a Strength 10 (average) creature.

TuggyNE
2013-12-18, 07:34 PM
I believe that an owl (or similar creature) can only fly while carrying a light load or less, so the article makes even more sense considering that the owl'd light load is 10lb. I'm not sure where I read that rule though.

You probably read it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

Slipperychicken
2013-12-18, 07:40 PM
You probably read it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

There we go. I was looking the carrying, movement and exploration section :smallyuk:

TuggyNE
2013-12-18, 08:41 PM
There we go. I was looking the carrying, movement and exploration section :smallyuk:

Sane rules organization? In my D&D? I think not! :smallfurious: