PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Cleric secondary role.

MindSculptor
2013-12-18, 03:03 PM
So I have basically built my Cleric as far as I can for a persistent buffing cleric with the help of someone who is very familiar with this style.

Classes: Cloistered Cleric (Planning, Undeath, Knowledge) 7/Sacred Exorcist 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Sacred Exorcist 2/Contemplative 1

Domains(I may swap one of my domains for Spell Domain or Travel Domain and put my persisting off till level 3-undecided): Planning, Undeath, Knowledge(May trade for Devotion feat)

Feats: Extend Spell(Planning Domain), Persistent Spell, DMM:(Persistent Spell), Extra Turning(Undeath Domain), Reach Spell, and Divine Spell Power.

Gear: Nightsticks, Reliquary Holy Symbol, Charisma boosting items, Strand of Prayer Bead(only need Karma bead if possible).

Other: AFC: Rebuke Dragons.

Summary: So with this build I will be able to obtain three separate Turning/Rebuking pools to which all of my Extra Turning feats and my charisma modifier will apply separately, multiplying my attempts and therefore allowing me to persist plenty of spells per day. I will easily get over 30 attempts. I am also considering taking the Practiced Spellcaster feat to raise my CL along with Divine Spell Power.

Now, what I am looking for is a secondary role that will hopefully easily supplement this build (damage output or control would be ideal, healing is going to be out of battle). I am completely undecided on what path to take. I have some ideas in my head, but even so have no idea how to pursue them correctly. Some include melee, archery, spellcasting, and necromancy(having a few buddies to follow me around on the side?). I don't know which are actually viable, but any other ideas will be welcome! BUT feats, equipment, spells, and whatever else I need with these ideas is definitely what I'm looking for. (CANT BE A ONE TRICK PONY!!!)

Thank you all for all your input. I praise you whoever can help me solve this decision.

EDIT: I'm thinking of doing something with spellcasting and chainspell... Mixed with reach spell I can really do something here I think. Maybe I need to raise my CL though? Sorry, I'm such a noob.

Dread_Head
2013-12-18, 03:15 PM
Clerics with the right buff spells up can really good at melee, Divine Power, Righteous might and Divine Favor are usually recommended as spells to persist in this case. You'd probably want to invest feats in at least Power Attack if you're going this route.

They can also make decent archers if they take Zen Archery and the right feats but I don't know so much about this route.

I'd question whether taking practised spellcaster is worth it as you're only losing one caster level in that build and since Practised caster is capped at your HD the one CL you'd gain probably isn't worth the feat.

MindSculptor
2013-12-18, 04:32 PM
Is this a tough subject?
I'm 22 and 1 replies... haha

Dread_Head
2013-12-18, 06:29 PM
Is this a tough subject?
I'm 22 and 1 replies... haha

Not really, but you've already got a solid build, not much to offer there and in terms of other roles cleric can basically do whatever you want.

This handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238) should be useful if you've not seen it before.

Eldariel
2013-12-18, 06:31 PM
Just cast spells. There's a good selection of control-spells on the Cleric-list especially with splatbooks. Combine that with some Summons (pick the ones that get you creatures with e.g. good Grappling or useful Spell-Likes) and maybe a buff or two and you're golden.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-18, 07:20 PM
Here are a few basics:

Melee - Your persistent spell selection can cover this just fine. Divine Power, Righteous Might, Divine Favor, and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful will turn you into a melee powerhouse. This is nice to have as a backup option, but IIRC you said in your other thread that your party mates are a ranger and a barbarian, so I wouldn't focus on this.

Ranged - Clerics are probably the best archers in the game, if they build around it. Just like with melee, your persistent spells can turn you into a master archer pretty easily. The one problem is that unlike melee simple weapons just won't cut it: You need to get longbow proficiency somehow.

Minionmancy - Summon Monster and Animate Dead are your best friends. Clerics are really strong at this (beaten out only by the Dread Necromancer in this particular field) and it doesn't take much investment to get working. Just be careful that you don't take it too far and replace your friends by accident. (Nobody likes to build their character for damage and then get obsoleted by a corpse.)

Support - You should be doing whole-party buffs with your persistent spells no matter what, but there are plenty of great buffs that aren't a valid candidate for persisting that you can cast in combat. Your ranger and barbarian partymates will love you for it.

Skillmonkey - Who needs rogues anyway? Persist Find Traps. Need to make a skill check? Cast Guidance of the Avatar and/or Divine Insight. Get Guidance of the Avatar as a wand: You won't regret it.

Controller - While you'll never be as good at this as a Wizard, a cleric can fill the role of a debuffer/battlefield controller quite well, though you'll need to take some effort as the really good cleric spells for this purpose tend to be kind of obscure. This will suck up your spell slots more than any other style of playing a cleric though, so be prepared to have to maybe make some sacrifices to pull this off. You want spells like Ice Slick (Frostburn), Wall of Magma (Sandstorm), Darkbolt (Lords of Madness), Dark Way, and Streamers.

Falcon X
2013-12-19, 02:56 PM
Change everything and become a Gnome Divine Prankster. You're a cleric AND a bard. Full spell progression, buffs, perform (comedy) to keep everyone entertained, a joke that gets you all the aggro (wear HEAVY armor).
The ultimate support character!!!

Yeah, this does sound better on paper. Forget I said it.