PDA

View Full Version : custom shield tactic idea

swight
2013-12-18, 04:35 PM
I had an idea for a dual shield wielding character tactic I wanted to run by you all to see how it would play out if it would work at all or if there would be any interesting house rules that would work for it.

First of all the character in question has natural attacks such as claws and bite this will come into play soon.

The shields(probably light) worn by this character have one spike that extrudes from the front edge in a curve that follows the shape of the shield rather than on the side that typically faces the opponent. The shield also has a groove around the edge and a hole that allows a rope to be attached and wound around it like a yoyo.

In the attack the character would throw their shields like a extra large yoyo such that the spike on the shields would impale themselves into the target which would effectively be a long range grapple. The character then jumps and pulls on the ropes to bring themselves to the target. Once there they curl up in between their shields(riding the target wherever they go) and bite and attack the target with the claws on their feet(since the hands are occupied holding the shields for protection and continuing the grapple).

Some other questions
how much would this be improved if you managed to get on the target's back?
would applying something slick to the shields help in making them harder for the target to remove?

holywhippet
2013-12-18, 05:34 PM
Sounds a bit like the old arcade game Rygar with his yo-yo shield although his just returned after use. I'm not sure how you are ensuring the spike impales into your target as it would spin as the shields move through the air. Also, for some enemies it would be implausible for the spike to stick into them either because of armor or because of their body type (eg. skeleton, ooze).

The grease spell gives an example of making an object hard to hold so you could use that a basis for making the shield hard to pull out. The problem is, there must be a decent handhold on them in order for you to throw them.

Your tactic might work better if you treat your weapon as being like a whip and making a trip attack on your opponent before jumping onto them and pinning them. Action wise you'd probably need to make a trip attempt to get them on the ground then another attack to grapple and pin them.