PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Leadership - What should I do?

Viduus
2013-12-18, 05:50 PM
If I'm being perfectly honest, it's not leadership, it's the thrallherd prestige class. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/thrallherd) This just means the character is one level below me, rather than two.

So, what can I make my cohorts *cough*thralls*cough* do without overshadowing the rest of the group?

Current party make-up:-
Dwarf tanky/axey barbarian
Halfling stabby/skilly rogue
Human wizard

OldTrees1
2013-12-18, 06:03 PM
Incomplete List of Options:
1) Have the Thralls be an RP/background element rather than a combat element
2) Have the Thralls buff/assist the other PCs

Say perhaps a Bard that sings the praises of the group.
Maybe throw a some Marshal in for a Minor Aura (Major Auras suck)

Viduus
2013-12-18, 06:10 PM
Incomplete List of Options:
1) Have the Thralls be an RP/background element rather than a combat element
2) Have the Thralls buff/assist the other PCs

Say perhaps a Bard that sings the praises of the group.

I was considering a crafty crafter, but I'd like to blend them into my theme idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16637452#post16637452) too.

I am seriously considering a buffer, though. Maybe a buffs-orientated wizard or cleric, since one of the other players has a buffer bard for a backup character.

Does anyone have any idea if there are buffing psionic characters?

OldTrees1
2013-12-18, 06:20 PM
Don't forget to buff the Skillmonkey when you are buffing the Sneak Attacker.

Crafting is a good idea.

stack
2013-12-18, 07:01 PM
I was going to say vitalist, but you have that covered. Tactician probably would have overlap with the vitalist. Most psionic buffs outside those two are pretty selfish.

Viduus
2013-12-18, 07:12 PM
I was going to say vitalist, but you have that covered. Tactician probably would have overlap with the vitalist. Most psionic buffs outside those two are pretty selfish.

Tactician might be a good idea, actually. It depends if my DM lets me piggyback the tactician on my collective network.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-18, 07:21 PM
I am seriously considering a buffer, though. Maybe a buffs-orientated wizard or cleric, since one of the other players has a buffer bard for a backup character.

But no one is currently a bard so its a better choice then a wizard(which you already have).

Perhaps an Oracle with the Life Mystery. I say Oracle over cleric because the former has limited spells known so you could restrict your thrall to only buff and support magic keeping any real offensive abilities to a minimum.

You could also look into a monster cohort, they aren't likely to overshadow anyone but can often provide useful abilities like say a Babu demon,(counts as level 11 has 7HD) or even a Pixie(counts as level 8 had4HD)

Viduus
2013-12-18, 07:29 PM
But no one is currently a bard so its a better choice then a wizard(which you already have).

Perhaps an Oracle with the Life Mystery. I say Oracle over cleric because the former has limited spells known so you could restrict your thrall to only buff and support magic keeping any real offensive abilities to a minimum.

I don't like to speak badly of other players, but the wizard isn't exactly the best wizard in the world.

Other than the life mystery, are there any big buffing mysteries?

Only for themselves really the best buff a psion can give to others is dispeling buffer.

Just looking at the tactician's echo effect (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/tactician#TOC-Echo-Effect-Su-), and the fact it can (I guess) give self-buffs to others.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-18, 07:37 PM
I don't like to speak badly of other players, but the wizard isn't exactly the best wizard in the world. Then you probably shouldn't have a wizard as a cohort.

Other than the life mystery, are there any big buffing mysteries?
The battle mystery provides a couple things like battlecry(which might step on a bards toes a little if someone switches to that). and combat healer(cast cure spells as a swift action) But from what I can see no the Life Mystery is the only one really focused on buffing. Of course a non-life mystery doesn't restrict the Oracle from using his/her spells known for buff spells.

Viduus
2013-12-18, 08:51 PM
Then you probably shouldn't have a wizard as a cohort.

You've not met the wizard. :p

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-18, 08:55 PM
You've not met the wizard. :p

Well you implied he was a sub-par wizard so I suggested you avoid that class as a cohort.

Viduus
2013-12-20, 04:06 AM
Well you implied he was a sub-par wizard so I suggested you avoid that class as a cohort.

Isn't that a reason to take it? :p

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-20, 05:51 AM
Isn't that a reason to take it? :p

You said you didn't want to overshadow the group didn't you?

avr
2013-12-21, 04:14 AM
A bomber alchemist can occasionally do significant damage or battlefield control & isn't quite as squishy as a wizard. It would be able to step in when the wizard is being ... unwise ... but wouldn't be able to take over their duties full-time, and it might occasionally be able to step in on the front line.