PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear... (Race changing gear)

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-18, 07:24 PM
Alright I was curious I know I have seen these in passing but I wanted to compile a list.

Items including Weapons, Armor, Wonderous Items, Etc.

I have heard of many but I wanted a rundown for both PF and 3.5

herrhauptmann
2013-12-18, 09:22 PM
An oddball one:
Check Song and Silence, the 3.0 rogue/bard book. Fang of Lolth prestige class. If you don a Fang Scarab with a UMD check (normally it's for spiders only), it binds to your neck.
Then take the prestige class, it mutates your body into something like a spider humanoid, oddly without changing your charisma.

Perpetr8r
2013-12-19, 01:44 AM
Well there is this http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/axe-of-the-dwarvish-lords

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-19, 01:49 AM
Tome of Magic has the collar of umbral metamorphosis witch applies the dark creature template to you. It's not really a race "changing" item, but it definitely modifies your race a little.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 01:53 AM
The Axe is cool and exactly what I was looking for. I know I have seen items out there. I am looking for things like a mask that turns you into whatever race the mask depicts.

I had an item for a campaign where the party is shifting races after a big war between them all.

Basically a grand wizard just before death cast a spell that enchanted random magical objects with the ability to transform the wielder into that race should they possess it long enough. There had been a war raging for decades and so the races distrust each other now during the peace. So the party all distrusts one another to a degree because they are all different races. But I needed legit items for a basis.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-19, 01:58 AM
The Axe is cool and exactly what I was looking for. I know I have seen items out there. I am looking for things like a mask that turns you into whatever race the mask depicts.

I had an item for a campaign where the party is shifting races after a big war between them all.

Basically a grand wizard just before death cast a spell that enchanted random magical objects with the ability to transform the wielder into that race should they possess it long enough. There had been a war raging for decades and so the races distrust each other now during the peace. So the party all distrusts one another to a degree because they are all different races. But I needed legit items for a basis.

won't putting in items that let someone shift their race to one that actively distrusts them just lead to paranoia over spies and traitors? typically when there's enough distrust to start a war over removing barriers does the opposite of help, it causes what little sense of security a group may have (in this case something like dwarves trust dwarves but know that elves can't be trusted) to go out the window. the other person is still "that elf" even if they now look like a dwarf, only now they can get into dwarf functions if the other dwarves don't know them and learn everything the dwarves want to keep secret.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 02:24 AM
Well yes which is where some of the campaign would be heading into and leading to the party having to subvert wars from spawning even if they are helping people who distrust them.

Mostly the idea is that they have to learn to trust those they once hated. If you hated elves and where now an elf and being mistrusted and so forth by your original race you might see that the elves where not so bad.