PDA

View Full Version : So you can't shieldbash with a Tower Shield [PF-ish]

Suddo
2013-12-18, 08:07 PM
So I just found this out. Man if Tower Shields were complete trash before now I can't even think of a time to use them outside of cover (which can get cheesy).

Mutazoia
2013-12-18, 08:13 PM
In game it sucks.

IRL you bet your buttox you can shield bash with a tower shield.

Spuddles
2013-12-18, 09:14 PM
In game it sucks.

IRL you bet your buttox you can shield bash with a tower shield.

The Romans had big metal doodads on their tower shields for bashing stuff out of the air with. Deflect Arrows (or javelins, spears, pilums, etc) with tower shield.

Pickford
2013-12-19, 02:58 AM
Spuddles:

The Romans had big metal doodads on their tower shields for bashing stuff out of the air with. Deflect Arrows (or javelins, spears, pilums, etc) with tower shield.

Block Arrow feat from HoB would do just that (not that you need it if you have a tower shield which can give you full cover).

Baroknik
2013-12-19, 04:01 AM
Tower shields are handy because they are a mundane's invisibility.

RAW: setting up a tower shield gives you and all your equipment total cover. Your equipment includes said tower shield!

RAI: that is stupid

Scow2
2013-12-19, 04:03 AM
Yeah... I found that obnoxious, given that the Roman's scutums were infamous for their devastating bashing ability.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-19, 04:27 AM
Yeah... I found that obnoxious, given that the Roman's scutums were infamous for their devastating bashing ability.

I thought they used them in more of a bull rush or overrun maneuver rather then a direct beating. Rather then standing there and smacking an opponent with a tower shield the ability to charge and either bull rush or overrun an opponent would be more in spirit of the shield.

Spuddles
2013-12-19, 04:30 AM
I thought they used them in more of a bull rush or overrun maneuver rather then a direct beating.

They also used them for that, yes.

Darrin
2013-12-19, 12:41 PM
If you add the Variable poperty to a shield (+1 enhancement, MIC), you can shield bash with it, and then turn it into a tower shield as a swift action.

Psyren
2013-12-19, 01:07 PM
Tower shields are handy because they are a mundane's invisibility.

RAW: setting up a tower shield gives you and all your equipment total cover. Your equipment includes said tower shield!

RAI: that is stupid

Pathfinder fixed that actually. One edge of your square is treated as a solid wall for cover purposes, but attacks from other angles and targeted spells can get you normally.