PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rogue/Assassin/Master Spy Build Advice?

Drelua
2013-12-18, 11:45 PM
I'm joining a campaign next month, and I could use some advice building a character. The party consists of a Sorcerer, soon to be a lich, a cleric, and a very min-maxed Superstitious Spellbreaker Dwarf Barbarian that I'm told is the most powerful party member. I figure this party could use a Rogue, but I'm naturally a bit worried about my performance in combat.

I'm joining at level 10, with ability scores being determined by spreading 80 points around however you want, so an 18 would take 18 points, and I believe there's a minimum of 10 for every ability score unless you can come up with a good RP reason for it. So basically, 20 point buy, point for point, from all 10s. Standard WBL, and one noteworthy house-rule; a critical hit automatically triggers Sneak Attack damage. Oh, and fractional BAB, which is good because 13 at level 20 would suck.

My build so far is Human or Half-Elf Rogue (Scout and maybe Thug) 5/Assassin 2/Master Spy 3, planning to take 3 more Assassin and the rest of Master Spy in no particular order, taking Ability Focus (Death Attack) to get a DC over 30 by level 20. I could use advice on feats, how to spend my gold, and how to set up my ability scores. I was thinking something like 10/18/14/14/10/14, though I'm not so sure the Charisma's worth it, even on sort of a face character. I was also wondering if a Sword of Subtlety or an Assassin's Dagger is worth it, with the DMing allowing them to be further enchanted, though we haven't figured out how the pricing on that would work yet. Other than that, any general advice would be much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Oh, and our allowed books are basically all the main hardcovers (APG, UC, UM...), and the Inner Sea World Guide. We're expected to reach level 20, at which point we'll start using Mythic rules to advance.

grarrrg
2013-12-19, 01:38 AM
It looks quite a bit like you stumbled across this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311369) at some point...

one noteworthy house-rule; a critical hit automatically triggers Sneak Attack damage. Oh, and fractional BAB, which is good because 13 at level 20 would suck.

Two Weapon Fighting Kukris NOW!
Max DEX, Weapon Finesse/Agile all the way.
Keen or Improved Critical, your choice.

I was also wondering if a Sword of Subtlety or an Assassin's Dagger is worth it,

I'm not sure that the Sword of Subtlety would give you the full benefit under the "Critical > Sneak" ruling. As you might have to confirm the Crit BEFORE the Attack bonus would kick in. That and Kukri's have better Critical range.
As for the Dagger...I'd still go with the Kukri's. Less set-up involved to get the benefit. Now if your DM lets you have an "Assassin's Kukri"...

If you can make do without Trapfinding, then the Swashbuckler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/swashbuckler) archetype might be nice.
You can take the Combat Trick talent 2 times (grab an extra Combat Feat), AND you get free Martial Prof. in the weapon of your choice (guess what weapon that should be? :smallbiggrin:).

Drelua
2013-12-19, 02:05 AM
I probably did stumble across that thread at some point in my googling. Wait, I posted in that? Wow, that was only a couple months ago and I completely forgot. That must be where I got the idea. So basically that thread, except not for a player that wants to do as many suboptimal things as possible.

Unfortunately, I can't get Agile since it's from the Field Guide, and I'm limited in what sources I can use. The DM might be flexible enough to allow a kukri of subtlety, I'm not sure. His roommate was happy to allow a celestial breastplate before I decided to go with a Monk for his game, so I guess it's worth asking.

That's an interesting point with the crit sneak attacks and the sword of subtlety. If I threaten a crit and then don't confirm, but would confirm with the +4... Schrodinger's Crit?

grarrrg
2013-12-19, 02:16 AM
Unfortunately, I can't get Agile since it's from the Field Guide, and I'm limited in what sources I can use.

Even without Agile, you should Crit+Sneak enough with Kukri's to make up for the low-STR.

Drelua
2013-12-19, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I figure the strength really isn't necessary since it'll only add up to a few points of damage, so either way I'll be pretty much useless if I'm not throwing around a fistful of d6s. I'm kind of thinking the same thing about charisma; I'm not sure if it's worth sinking points into it, even on a party face, when I could be putting them somewhere else. It's only a couple points on a few skills, even if they are really good skills to have. A Circlet of Persuasion does everything 16 Charisma can do for me, really.